Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 38678 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Current Events
« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2024, 05:39:31 AM »
I reckon Biden should say that the Baltimore bridge crash was orchestrated by the Russians. When Putin says that's ridiculous and there is no evidence of that, Biden could reply: "DYSWIDT".
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #376 on: March 26, 2024, 07:41:02 AM »
 ::) ::)
A game of chess then.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #377 on: March 26, 2024, 06:53:09 PM »
I've driven across that bridge many times and it was a wonderful high route for moving over a wide part of the Patapsco River.  It afforded a broad vista of the more industrial parts of East Baltimore on the way to Dundalk.  It was a real shock to see it collapse and it's so sad that the people working in the middle of the night to repair potholes fell to their deaths into the cold water as a result.  I think many of them were from El Salvador and so were contracted labor doing difficult cold work late when there was little traffic.  The only silver lining was that this collision happened so late when few were using the bridge and that the pilots of the container ship were able to issue a mayday so that traffic could be stopped from entering.  It's going to cause a real mess for local traffic and will undoubtedly really hurt the local economy.  I wonder what kind of insurance the shipper had and what liabilities they might bear for the accident?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 AM »
Learned a new word from this crisis, allision. It's specifically maritime, but it essentially boils down to "Moving thing hit stationary thing".
The news coverage on this event is as woeful as it is empty. I tracked down the first 90 minutes of the fire channel on youtube, and it is riveting stuff.

One guy set up on the north side of the bridge by the fort was the one who blocked off the traffic. He intended to go out to the work crew to get off the bridge, but that was when the bridge collapsed.

He survived, and was almost the one sane person on the scene. The dispatcher had bubble mouth and repeatedly relayed incorrect information, including that the vessel had sunk.

Multiple sleepy voices demand a clear radio channel, and assume command. Almost to a ONE, they demand to traverse the bridge to take command on the other side.

Dude who stops traffic repeatedly tells them the bridge is GONE, and personally sends the video to their cell phones. That isn't good radio hygene, but I'm glad he did it. After the fourth sleepy commander shows up, they stop demanding to cross the bridge.

One was a petty golly though, he kept implying that "some" of the bridge was still intact. Which is accurate. MINUS THE bless'ed MIDDLE OF THE BRIDGE.

Warning: Multiple very loud sirens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3lz-oBnmYE
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:20:49 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2024, 07:43:13 AM »
I wonder what kind of insurance the shipper had and what liabilities they might bear for the accident?

I believe Lloyds bank insure all shipping in the world, But I stand by to be corrected

Garden is a bomb site from the builders, Plants are decimated.  :'( :'(
Why do they have to be so messy  :-\

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2024, 08:24:26 AM »
Thanks, 8ully for the link.  I'm amazed at how calm everyone is on their radios.  I'd be a good deal more effusive, like "holy s***! the entire Key Bridge is in the harbor! wtf!!!"

goldie, what I understand about the shipping industry is that owners of large vessels do all kinds of odd stuff deflecting the fact of their ownership to avoid 1) paying taxes 2)  to skirt labor laws and other legal restrictions 3) taking responsibility for any damage incurred.  Maersk had hired this container ship to convey containers (most were empty having dispatched their cargo at the Port of Baltimore) but they didn't own the vessel.  It's not clear what kind of insurance there would be but I'm sure there are multiple layers of insurers, too.  There are reinsurers who insure insurance companies against big claims, so the only sure thing about this is that a bunch of lawyers are going to have plenty of work helping whomever is responsible to worm out of paying any more than is necessary.  The harbor pilots from the Port of Baltimore were in command of the vessel when it lost power.  I suspect there were problems with the navigation systems and power before it ever got to Baltimore that were not adequately repaired or maintained.

And, finally, we had our house painted recently and I was amazed at how insensitive the painters were regarding our garden, even after I put tomato cages over plants to protect them, they completely ignored them, dumping trash and storing stuff on top of our plants.  Some people are just oblivious.  Good luck getting yours back into shape.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:28:20 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #381 on: March 28, 2024, 07:27:32 AM »
Heard that Divers had found bodies ref the bridge

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #382 on: March 29, 2024, 01:16:35 AM »
They did find 2 men who were in a red pickup truck that ended up in the water.  Two other men fell in and were rescued.  That's amazing.  It makes me believe in fate.  Why those two and nobody else?  It's strange to think that the difference between life and death depended on whether one was in a car at the time or out trying to fix a pothole.  I think the other 4 were probably also in vehicles but the currents, the twisted remains of the metal truss and the cold water probably pose too much of a danger for divers to do much else.  I feel for their families.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #383 on: March 29, 2024, 01:22:01 AM »
Could have been an on/off work cycle thing. It was cold as hell that night, I could see them working six on two off, and the lucky guys were warming up in the truck.

Which incidentally, is likely why they died. That fall is already terminal, but being in a vehicle... I'm guessing impact trauma, but I'm not medically trained.
I'm guessing the two that survived were on a clear bit of the deck, so the truss didn't come down and trap them, but that fall still must have been brutal.

The question now is if the remaining missing are in a vehicle, under debris, or have drifted.
Fairly morbid stuff.

One thing that pisses me off is even during the first press conference, people wanted information on the economic impacts, rather than the rescue and recovery of those who were on the bridge when it collapsed. Like give it a few days, your amazon package is not that important, CBS guy.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #384 on: March 29, 2024, 04:02:14 AM »
Having a new back door in OMG what a  chore and mess.
Gave up trying to sleep