Author Topic: Badass World War 2 movie  (Read 14723 times)

Offline jackalope21

• Homo Superior
  • Stalking Kristen Bell
Re: Badass World War 2 movie
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 11:45:50 AM »
What's better than non-stop mayhem Nazi killing action movie?  :D

to answer the question......nothing  :)
"Misa Misa"

Offline jacktheripper305

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 08:36:09 PM »
I'm sure Tarantino's aim in this movie is simply for the audience to watch a bunch of nazis get killed in the most brutal and entertaining way possible. For some reason, I doubt that hes trying to make a movie with political and moral overtones. (or even undertones for that matter)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »
I'm sure Tarantino's aim in this movie is simply for the audience to watch a bunch of nazis get killed in the most brutal and entertaining way possible. For some reason, I doubt that hes trying to make a movie with political and moral overtones. (or even undertones for that matter)

Really?  So you make a film about a group of Jewish Americans commiting war crimes against German soldiers (no soldier deserves to be scalped and mutilated as they are only doing their job right?), and to make it less political, you film it in Germany?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 05:12:04 AM »
I do not watch war films or TV programmes as a matter of course (although I do have a soft spot for "The bridge over the river Kwai"). I get nothing from the violence involved in war; as I cannot get away from the fact that soldiers are usually doing the insane bidding of a handful of lunatics in power, and those soldiers no matter what side they are on, have families and children that love them.  I wouldn't subject my children to this kind of "entertainment" either, as it would break my heart if they were enthusiastic about a film that depicted the brutal treatment of anybody, military or otherwise.

I can understand the anger from some Germans over this film, and the fact that they question why he chose to make it in Germany - Tarantino was definitely up to something? maybe he was short changed by a German waiter and wanted revenge? 

Offline jacktheripper305

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 02:04:09 PM »
I do not watch war films or TV programmes as a matter of course (although I do have a soft spot for "The bridge over the river Kwai"). I get nothing from the violence involved in war; as I cannot get away from the fact that soldiers are usually doing the insane bidding of a handful of lunatics in power, and those soldiers no matter what side they are on, have families and children that love them.  I wouldn't subject my children to this kind of "entertainment" either, as it would break my heart if they were enthusiastic about a film that depicted the brutal treatment of anybody, military or otherwise.

I can understand the anger from some Germans over this film, and the fact that they question why he chose to make it in Germany - Tarantino was definitely up to something? maybe he was short changed by a German waiter and wanted revenge? 

Indeed. I agree with you 100%. In real life. However, once we move to the movies, It's a different story. Because its fictional. Unless this actually happened, and Tarantino is trying to glorify the people that did this, I think its purely for entertainment, just as any other movie is entertainment.

Personally, i enjoy a movie where someone gets what they deserve, and I think thats what this movie is trying to capitalize on. No one likes a Nazi.

Also personally, I enjoy horror movies. I like violent and gory movies. And thats what i think this movie is supposed to be. Not much more...

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
Indeed. I agree with you 100%. In real life. However, once we move to the movies, It's a different story.
Also personally, I enjoy horror movies. I like violent and gory movies. And thats what i think this movie is supposed to be. Not much more...

The point is why do people like horror and gore?  The general expectation is that it will invoke the emotion of fear.

Why may some enjoy films that depict some kind of personal vengeance?  I believe that is because it will invoke the feeling of justice.

Why do some like watching erotic movies?  I can vouch that it is because it stimulates the sensation of sexual arousal.

Why would anyone want to watch a war film, showing the grotesque butchering, of soldiers on either side of a conflict, that probably have little opinion in what they are fighting for?  Beats me but there has been the suspicion of "propaganda" in the past.

I have no problem with fiction that is not based on major historical events, as it does not distort anything in the process.  I'll personally sign up to fight the Cardassians any day, and I may even club a few to death with a sharpe machete.  I also like both fictional and non-fictional accounts of retribution, as the bad guy is easy to spot.

I wasn't always like this, I used to be a Rambo-loving, saturday night punch up kind of guy - that is until I realised that latter was caused by the former...

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »
Man,,I love a good horror movie ( not the Friday the 13th poo or Freddy,,theyr just stupid)
Check out Altered.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 04:49:19 PM »
This film is desperately trying to do the rounds over here at the moment, and they have even dropped the "Basterds" from the title to make it more appealing.  So far there seems absolutely no interest in it by anyone, and for the most part no one seems to have even heard of it.  It is no wonder considering how it did at Cannes and this review says enough to explain that, so perhaps there is something better than a "non-stop mayhem Nazi killing action movie"?

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to it. I love Tarantino films.  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
I'm looking forward to it. I love Tarantino films.  :)

I take it you are no fan of the Guardian tho'.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »
I take it you are no fan of the Guardian tho'.

Does that mean people who like Tarantino movies are unintelligent and what newspaper you read is a measure of a persons intelligence?

Well, I don't read the Guardian. In fact I don't read any national newspapers. The only newspaper I read is the Liverpool Echo, to keep abreast of local news. "Red top" papers are full of celebrity poo and the "quality" (debatable) papers are full of political poo, neither subject holds any interest to me.

If your statement was meant in this way then it seems quite sneering.  :(

If, however, you're referring to the movie "Guardian", then you're right, I thought it was shite.  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 06:10:29 PM »
Easy!

I was merely pointing out that after a review that bad ("Brad Pitt's worst performance" type bad), and the fact that it didn't dissuade in the slightest (it certainly did me), the paper would have to hold little water in your opinion.

Personally I read at least 5 different reviews (to ensure a balance), including the ones on this forum, to get an idea if a film is worth going to see, wait till it's rentable, or that insignificant that I should obtain it elsewhere.  I don't like to leave many things to chance.

As a point of interest I personally read the Daily Mirror which as you know is considered a low-brow tabloid, that is getting more "low-brow" by the minute.  I read it as I have always read it from my days as a Labour party member.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:22:30 PM by smokester »

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
Daily Mirror  ??? The Guardian  ???

What are these strange names  ???

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
Easy!

I was merely pointing out that after a review that bad ("Brad Pitt's worst performance" type bad), and the fact that it didn't dissuade in the slightest (it certainly did me), the paper would have to hold little water in your opinion.

Sorry about that, I obviously misconstrued your last comment.  :D

On the subject of reviews, I personally don't read any. Any profession where a person is paid to pass judgement on other peoples work just seems wrong. That's not only movie reviewers, but art critics as well. I've found the best way is to watch a movie and then judge whether it was good or bad, rather than relying on someone else to judge for you.

As a point of interest I personally read the Daily Mirror which as you know is considered a low-brow tabloid, that is getting more "low-brow" by the minute.  I read it as I have always read it from my days as a Labour party member.

As long as you don't read the Sun.   >:(

Daily Mirror  ??? The Guardian  ???

What are these strange names  ???

Just some things that aren't worth killing trees for.

Offline feelingindifferent

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »
Apparently all the critics disliked it because they were expecting that, but instead they got a load of talking.

I am so looking forward to seeing this, argh but i've got extended essay to finish for school. it's opening in HK today! >:( i want to see it :(

This may be a bit late, but the french trailer is a lot more badass: