Author Topic: Pixar Love  (Read 62739 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Pixar Love
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I adore me some Pixar.  ;D

I feel they put a lot of love and care into their movies and, I feel, the result is usually evident on the screen.

I did this as an extension of the thread that told about the appearances of the Pizza Planet truck in all of the Pixar flicks (to my chagrin, it looks like that isn't quite the case :'(). So instead of just listing them, how 'bout we take a look at some screencaps?  8) ;D:

Of course, here is the truck in its first appearance in Toy Story (1995) when Woody and Buzz use it to get to the restaurant itself:

And here it is again in A Bug's Life (1998) parked beside the trailer whose trash heap was Bug City:

Naturally, it appears again in Toy Story 2 (1999), and is actually driven by the toys:

It appears once again in Monsters, Inc. (2001) parked outside the very familiar trailer to which the villain Randall is banished:

And impossibly, it also appears in Finding Nemo (2003) during the sequence where Gill explains the escape plan and the viewer is given a POV from inside the bag and the truck drives across the screen just before the bag drops into the water:

But then we get to The Incredibles (2004) and this is where the streak is broken. Despite several claims, the truck does not appear in the film. Apparently, this is due to director Brad Bird's insistence on having the cars look like they were from the '60s even though the rest of the buildings and robots were very modern. Yet another contributing factor to why it's my least favorite Pixar flick:

But then it's back in Cars (2006), seen here attending the final race. Now it's even been anthropomorphized like the rest of the vehicles in the movie:

And surely, it couldn't be in Ratatouille (2007), could it? That took place in Paris. Well, it's hard to see, but the truck is definitely there crossing the bridge over the Seine when Skinner is chasing Remy.:

And of course, EVE scans the truck for signs of vegetation at the beginning of WALL?E (2008):

Frankcapri originally found a screencap from Up (2009) to complete the list of appearances, but it has since been removed from PhotoBucket so I have replaced it with a shot from the DVD:

I also have no doubt the truck will appear somewhere in next year's Toy Story 3...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:29:25 AM by JackFrost »

Offline frankcapri

• Human
Re: Pixar Love
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:17:41 AM »
I feel the same way about Pixar movies.  They really set the standard for CG and writing in animated films.  I'm anxious to see Up.

This is an awesome run down.  I remember seeing the Pizza Planet truck in some of the movies, but I didn't know it was a thing.  Thanks  :)

Apparently, there is quite a debate about this image from The Incredibles.

Spoiler (hover to show)
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:04:15 AM »
I feel the same way about Pixar movies.  They really set the standard for CG and writing in animated films.  I'm anxious to see Up.

This is an awesome run down.  I remember seeing the Pizza Planet truck in some of the movies, but I didn't know it was a thing.  Thanks  :)

Apparently, there is quite a debate about this image from The Incredibles.

If you click the frames before and after that, you see it's just a yellow car, so it's not the truck. Plus as all the other images show you can actually see the truck itself, even if it's incredibly tiny and you have to freeze the film - you can still see it.

And Up is really great. My favorite part are the dogs...  ;)

Oh and thanks for finding the screen cap from Up...  ;D

Do you mind if I add it to the original post?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:07:04 AM by JackFrost »

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:31:18 AM »
I thought it looked doubtful.  Oh well.  I still think it's really cool that they add in these little treats for the discerning viewer  :)

Add it by all means.  It's not like I did any real work on that like you did with all your caps :D

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »
I thought it looked doubtful.  Oh well.  I still think it's really cool that they add in these little treats for the discerning viewer  :)

Add it by all means.  It's not like I did any real work on that like you did with all your caps :D

I forgot to upload them so they're still on my home computer, but I found a few other Easter eggs in the flicks while searching for those caps. I'll show 'em later...

And I might do one that shows all of the appearances of the little yellow ball with the blue stripe and the red star...  ;D

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »
I look forward to your further investigations  :)

The A113 has quite a legacy as well (even outside of Pixar films). 

Adults that make cartoons for a living are so quirky  :D

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »
I look forward to your further investigations  :)

The A113 has quite a legacy as well (even outside of Pixar films). 

Adults that make cartoons for a living are so quirky  :D

Apparently A113 is the room number of the classroom where many of the animators learned animation and met one another... I might try to find all of those, too.  ;D

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:26:24 AM »
i love it when people really get into something and share about it  :)

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
Apparently A113 is the room number of the classroom where many of the animators learned animation and met one another... I might try to find all of those, too.  ;D

That would be awesome.  You're working on the definitive Pixar Easter egg hunt right here  ;D

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »
Isnt there a movie trivia thread somewhere in here? This stuff is awesome we should combine the threads.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
Isnt there a movie trivia thread somewhere in here? This stuff is awesome we should combine the threads.

Yeah, there is, but this ones just about Pixar, so I just expanded it with the screen caps.  ;D

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 01:39:11 AM »
Depending on the flick, Pixar generally spends between 3 and 5 years in development before it's released.

For instance Finding Nemo officially started production in 2000, but the film didn't hit theaters until 2003. So in order to release a flick every year or two, they have overlapping productions from different teams. So 2-3 flicks can be in production simultaneously, which means that characters from upcoming productions get hidden in the current release.

This is a shot from Monsters, Inc. which released in 2001. This is the scene where Mike and Sully throw Randall into a 'random' door to banish him, the door lands him in the trailer with the Pizza Planet truck parked outside (see above). Mike throws open the door and reveals a plaque with clownfish on it, presumably Marlon:

But then to hammer the point home, Boo hands a rubber Nemo toy to Sully as a parting gift:

And then I was going through Ratatouille for screen caps for Name That Movie and I came across this shot. As Remy runs through an apartment he is startled by a barking dog. We only see the dog's silhouette, but it's unmistakeably Dug the Dog from Up:

Even though I saw both Monsters, Inc. and Ratatouille on opening night, I wouldn't have frame of reference for these Easter egg for another 2 years after each.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I say they care a lot about what they do...

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 03:06:57 AM »
awesome find jack

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »
awesome find jack

Thanks, Discover...  ;D

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »
awesome find jack

Seriously good stuff  :)

Animation is really neat in the sense that if the people that work on it want to, they can slip in all kinds
of nifty stuff.  I really wonder how much stuff is hidden in animated movies.  You gotta imagine that
when you get a bunch of adults together making "kid movies" they're seriously tempted to do some "interesting" things  ;D