Author Topic: Last Person to Speak Wins! 最后发言者获胜  (Read 331678 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Last Person to Speak Wins! 最后发言者获胜
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »
Oh, they didn't come after it until a full ten years after he died, but yeah, every time I look at that paper, it's a quick little reminder.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2019, 12:25:00 AM »
I'm assuming they came after his estate for back taxes?  People are supposed to file taxes for individuals who earn income during a tax year but who do not live until the following April, so their estate is supposed to file a return.

I'm not sure about the circumstances surrounding his death vis a vis his finances, but the IRS likes to get paid.  They like it so much that you can be here illegally and earn income.  The IRS doesn't care.  They just want you to pay taxes.  That's why resident aliens have to file tax returns with TINs (Tax I.D. numbers).  I've done tax returns for such people.  It sounds like the whole business was traumatic for you, and I'm not surprised.  I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
The perils of success. Good luck.

I need good luck enough to find a savvy accountant.

Turns out, while they may stick for 20k in the short run, I can claim VAT back for the last 4 years apparently that could put me quids-in. Not only that, they asked me to retrospectively ask my clients to pay VAT on invoices I sent them to see if they'll cough up, and if they don't  (I wouldn't), I can claim back that 20k after their refusal to pay.

I'm going to try and plead exemption for the past and register now.

It's a long shot, Chuck, but it might just work.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »
We had a lawyer handle the probate and all that stuff, they wanted the taxes as if he had still been living but not paying. Not sure how that happened, but it did. I thought at the time maybe someone stole his social, but I've been told those are deactivated on death.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2019, 12:20:33 AM »
If your father had been self employed and required to make quarterly estimated payments, that would raise a red flag, if he had not been sending those payments in regularly.  If his employer did withholding for him but other income sources rendered that inadequate, that could have been a problem.  Sadly, tax liability doesn't end with death.

At any rate, it sounds like a terrible thing you had to go through, and I'm sorry for that.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2019, 02:04:09 AM »
Eh, they can't find my high school transcripts, so he should be safe now.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
I have a tooth infection and 2.5 days into some antibiotics, there ain't much happening.

It never rains, eh..

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »
Super Bowl, more like super bless'ed boring! The highlight so far has been Game of Thrones murdering Bud Light. The Mountain killed the Bud Knight, then Drogon flamethrowered everyone else.

Someone call drogon in, special teams.

Oh poo, I missed the slide play they didnt count.

Like I get it, it would disrupt football, but that was a John woo play. Two feet planted vs.BACKSLIDE = IGNORE IT. so the next play was TD.

Still dayum. Not as hardcore as pulling a glock, but that should scare traditionalists.

So three quarter snoozefest to a WTF 4th.

Team boil all foods wins against team California burrito.

Gronkowski and Edelman carried brady.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:25:19 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
And windy. And the wind is chucking sharp bits of parking lot gravel.

The regular maintenance guy came out today, and he was gob smacked by the tarp, like he was shocked they did something that stupid.

But hey, it's keeping the rain out, so job 1 is done. He's hoping the glazier can just reseal it, but is pretty sure they're going to have to pull it, as their glazier doesn't like making house calls.

Which is weird, because he already did, and is a pretty nice guy. But then I thought about how much I "loved" going out to people's houses for PC repair.

At least glass work is a little bit less intrusive, no browser histories to ignore, or obscene wallpapers to try and scrub from the brain with local anesthesia.

I mean I just have a blanket I bought in mexico hung up with thumb tacks. Perhaps that's offensive to glass workers? I don't know poo about windows.

It's kinda weird having my room all clean, it looks like a rented office right now.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2019, 05:35:23 AM »
It's my birthday, I seem to always want to come here and tell everyone.  <3
Smokes, I really hope you find a way to keep your money.  I've never so much as had a taste of good income or ownership, but if I did, surely i would be sore over legalities.
8ully, sorry for the window dude, we cant seem to get a thing fixed in this place although mother now has a live in boyfriend, thank God she leaves every Feb and doesn't come back till November.  I dont think I could handle another month with her.
My daughter is 12 now, we are hitting obstacles that are bigger than ones of before.  Such as puberty, it can be scary for the parents of atypical people.  Any suggestions on reading materials?
My son is ten, each year his skills in illustration grow.  One day, I'll take the time to figure how to post pictures again.  I'll show you some of his work.
I'm 33 today :)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2019, 10:51:38 AM »

Well Happy birthday you  :) :) hope you had a great day

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2019, 02:37:24 PM »
It's raining.

You did that.

It's my birthday, I seem to always want to come here and tell everyone.  <3
Smokes, I really hope you find a way to keep your money.  I've never so much as had a taste of good income or ownership, but if I did, surely i would be sore over legalities.
8ully, sorry for the window dude, we cant seem to get a thing fixed in this place although mother now has a live in boyfriend, thank God she leaves every Feb and doesn't come back till November.  I dont think I could handle another month with her.
My daughter is 12 now, we are hitting obstacles that are bigger than ones of before.  Such as puberty, it can be scary for the parents of atypical people.  Any suggestions on reading materials?
My son is ten, each year his skills in illustration grow.  One day, I'll take the time to figure how to post pictures again.  I'll show you some of his work.

Many happy returns, Bea.

My daughter is also 12 (until next monday that is) but I'm like a gazillion years old. I like to think I don't look a day older than half a gazillion, but that notion disappears after a day through the mill.

Money is such a vulgar thing.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2019, 12:20:39 AM »
It's hard to top that video, so I'll just say, Happy birthday, Bea, and do pop in when you can.  You cheer the place up so.

I wish I had some advice about what to give your daughter to read.  Here's a useful instructional video for when she's a little older. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2019, 01:06:58 AM »
Eh, I prefer the vandals happy birthday to me, but it's kinda cynical, so I just post it for mine.

I had mixed up this and happy happy joy joy, it was far more epic in my mind. Funny the things we remember that never happened. I don't like calling it the Mandela effect though, I think that's weird racism. Nothing I can do about that though.

Bea was one of the few people nice enough to play STO with me. I tried to reciprocate by playing LOTRO, but I really hated it's tech is evil bent, and I kept falling off this one castle and dying.

I like to imagine the character I rolled also despises the world. Maybe he took up farming like my skyrim dude. I loaded that up the other day, and got attacked by a vampire on my own property! Jerk kept yelling "You never should have come here". I paid good septims for that land, and I already ran off a necromancer! No blood sucking jerk will take my crappy farm away!

I also wanted to let Bea know they re-released Resident Evil 2 in a complete remake, I believe she enjoys that series, and 2 was kind of the best of the series. I used to want glass replicas of the police station keys, but realized that would be stupid when I can use money for food instead.