Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 420817 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2715 on: December 23, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »
Yes, but could you elaborate?
So bad it hurts.
Lets just drop 4 soldiers into Russia around their biggest Naval unguarded base    :o :o
Butler as a merman just didnt cut it on so many levels. Why they archery scene at the beginning ?

Will  have to sit through it again for the wife I imagine. >:(

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2716 on: December 23, 2018, 01:10:22 AM »
The Greatest Showman :D :D
love it

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2717 on: December 23, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
Ok. I watched a film last night called IMDb: Replicas which starred Canoe Reeves. I cannot begin to explain the absurdity of the story which was nearly impossible to rationalise. Canoe's acting made it infinitely harder to fathom and you cannot help but be stunned by at least the first half of the movie and the decision making of at least 2 of the characters within it.

On the whole it doesn't get much better as it goes on but something remarkable happens that you creeps up on you. What actually happens is in the last 20 minutes or so, the film starts to level out and make sense(ish) and the end, and beyond all expectation, it leaves you somewhat satisfied.

I'd recommend it even though I've said it's pretty crap. It's just one of those kind of flicks that you'd talk about afterwards.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2718 on: December 29, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
I was just on a site that talks about movies leaving Netflix. I have never used Netflix, but for some reason my TV has a button on it that says Netflix.

Anyway, Harry leaves Netflix on Jan 18th, so you'll never have to see him left behind again... on Netflix.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2719 on: December 29, 2018, 11:54:04 PM »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2720 on: December 30, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
zombies doing flip hammer fists? Do they not have aircraft in this timeframe? Because here's how I'd do the mission.

1) acquire prison inmate. 2) zip drop the chump in a parking lot. 3)wait for swarm 4) Zip him back up 5)Vulcan cannon.

VERY EXPENSIVE FISHING TRIP!

Repeat until area pacified, send in extraction team

POST OPERATION -

Bite checks and quarantines all around. Even the pilots.

I watched "The Osterman Weekend" 1983, and was shocked at how they did everything in bourne… in 1983. You've got your surveillance, your shitty backroom deals, your backstabbing, your shady CIA operations...

But it doesn't work. The film is a bless'ed mess, and it's a shame that it was Sam Peckinpah's last.

Some of it is absolutely fantastic, but it really falls apart after the aforementioned "Weekend"
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:24:23 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2721 on: January 02, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
I do find it interesting that Paul Greengrass stole from Sam F'n Peckinpah.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2722 on: January 02, 2019, 06:57:17 PM »
I mean when you read a Ludlum, you kinda know what you're getting into. Shadowy conspiracies that may or may not exist hounding our protagonist, generally through exotic locales.

It's actually interesting how tight Osterman Weekend is, considering that. Most of the action takes place on one estate. I wouldn't say he recycled elements, but the feel he establishes tends to be familiar. Kind of like how the crappy call of duty games have linear paths that guide you through scripted explosions, like a rollercoaster ride.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2723 on: January 17, 2019, 12:47:04 AM »
the star trek franchise  (Chris pine ) on a dull day was fun

white boy rick twas ok

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2724 on: January 17, 2019, 01:56:05 AM »
He did get to have a lot more fun with that one than most of his roles at the time. Plus the character is amazing.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2725 on: January 19, 2019, 12:33:30 AM »
Samuel L Jackson just named his favourite five film roles. Number 1 was Long Kiss Goodnight!
indeed a classic

The Sister Brothers
  Not what I expected at all, Different but very enjoyable nether the less. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Bohemian Rhapsody
How true to life who cares, the music and the acting was great. As soon as you hear the chords you know the song

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2726 on: January 19, 2019, 06:24:06 AM »
I assume you haven't seen Mr. Robot?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2727 on: January 20, 2019, 12:51:37 AM »
I assume you haven't seen Mr. Robot?

you are correct  on the tv (netflix ?)

- Finally got around to watching, Fantastic film.
- Twas ok,
- worth a watch if you have a spare hour

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2728 on: January 20, 2019, 03:58:26 AM »
It's the failure to differentiate Freddie Mercury from Mr. Robot that I found disturbing in the Queen film.  Give Malek a moustache and a British accent, and, voilà, Freddie Mercury.  So I don't get the "he's a great actor" thing.  He is handsome and charming, but that's as far as I can go with the Ravi Malek assessment.  There are so many gifted actors, particularly in the UK, where theatre is taken much more seriously than here.  Many of those actors are relegated to crucial supporting roles, and remain under the public's radar, despite their remarkable contributions to the profession.    He's not one of them.

The 3 Billboards looks intriguing.  I like Frances MacDormand, generally.  I remember the reviews from the Barbra Streisand version of a Star is Born, "A Bore is Starred."  Haven't seen the Lady Gaga version.  It's hard to top Judy Garland.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:10:06 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2729 on: January 22, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
The Hidden - (1987)

DAYUM was that a movie. I don't want to ruin it, but I can't even begin to describe it without spoilers.. It's got Danny Trejo in a five second cameo, in a shitty brown wig! And the rifle stormtroopers use, in it's actual configuration! (Sterling SMG)

There are a lot of guns in this movie, and they get put to work.

Sometimes it felt like the movie was dragging, and then I realized it's because I'm used to movies ping-ponging between scenes at high speed. For instance, there is an absolutely fantastic roof chase that extends to exactly ONE roof. Not 20, where the protaganist has to hero jump and roll between different gradiants.

I really, really liked this movie. It's got Claudia Christian in a role that I never thought I'd see Claudia Christian in. dang!
Mulders dad shows up!

A police bullpen with ZERO COMPUTERS!

And a Ferrari salesman who keeps cocaine in the trunk of a small model ferrari. Because the bad guy likes ferraris!

Seriously, that's how the cops track him. He always steals ferraris.

This movie makes Terminator look like it was written by CHUMPS!

It EVEN HAS AN EVIL DOG!

Leviathan - 1989.

Robocop and Ernie Hudson vs. The thing. UNDERWATER.

Oh, and Daniel Stern is a total garbage bless'ed human in this movie. He's the first to die, and his coworkers don't shed a tear.

Not a good movie, but it hit this weird merchandising convegance I've noticed in other films. People kit together weapons that would be absolutely awesome for a tie-in toy. In this case, they use deep sea drilling robot claws and turn them into flamethrowers... for some reason.

huh, nope, no action figures here. Must have mixed it up with that virus movie from '98.

These robo-flamers are not particularly effective against the monster, who once it eats you, it adapts your distinctiveness to it's own.

The ending was poo too. This monster, who at this point is presumably unstoppable, is free to go about it's business while robocop and female survivor punch the CEO and walk away.

TO WHERE? YOU'RE ON AN OIL PLATFORM. THERE IS NO AWAY.

Sleepwalkers - 1992. Steven King has some REALLY effective nightmares in that noggin, and you can totally see it for yourself in this film. It's a king typical. Big house, overgrown yard, Bear traps, dead cats. Wait, WHAT?

Oh yeah, this one is about  ̶v̶a̶m̶p̶i̶r̶e̶s̶. Er, Catpires? Anyway yeah. You've got your usual King creepy sexual innuendo that the boy Catpire is totally boning his mom, the borg queen Alice Krige.

I have a strong feeling these makeup effects, and general film attitude were adapted to the TV version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I'd previously heard comparisons to Pitt bulls or the T-rex from Jurassic park, but when the Pretending to be a teenager VampCatBoy goes monster face, it's damn near identical to a BTVS vamp on the show.

So, the cats.

The cats are these VampCatPires only weakness. Pop one of their eyes with a wine corkscrew, and they'll madam about their shirt being ruined. Once again, an attitude BTVS copied. Shoot em with a gun? They'll impale you on a corncob (TOTALLY WEIRD)

There was one injury in this one that actually terrified me. The window in a police cruiser is bashed out, leaving shards of glass everywhere. Borg queen slides our female hero's arm across a jagged edge. YIKES!

So yeah, lotta people die, one liners are lined, and a friggin cat saves the day. As not good as this movie is, I must grudgingly admit I enjoy it. Better love story than twilight, as the Pedo-Pire is unmasked on the first date.

Stay Tuned - 1992.

John Ritter stars in this surprisingly effective spoof. I wrote an essay in notepad about this, but it's mostly fanfic garbage, so I'll leave it out.

The costumes and sets in this movie are shockingly on point. I don't think a show that takes any of the spoofs seriously could get the props and costumes in Today's Hollywood. I mean it's surprising how far they go in these.

The Premise: Dude put his soul up as collateral on a heckin' sweet TV/Satellite setup, and Hell needs to kill him in 24 hours, or he walks.

He visits a game show - You can't win. And survives via technicality - it was a trick question.

Another contract holder is killed by a copyright free knock-off of Godzilla, and then it's off to

Northern Overexposure! Seriously, these spoofs were probably how the film got pitched, Even the credits are filled with these.

And yes, he visits Three's Company.

This movie has a special place in my heart, and the rewatch was as fun as my first watch. Check it out. Really.

Reign of the Supermen (2019)

There's always something a little off about these animated DC titles, part of it is the adult baiting, like having EXUNCTLY ONE SWEAR WORD in the movie, other times it's the crap animation.

Here is the euthanasia scene for Superboy. Gratutious? You bet your ass. Luthor is obviously a richard in this one, but he damn near euthanizes his own son, just because he hasn't hit the proper PR margin.

Superboy is pretty good in this one, it's the 1993 Superboy. I liked the character, one of the reasons I never bothered with Young Justice was because they retconned him into a moody bottom.

This Superboy revels in the powers he has, and has fun with it, unlike the dense bottom in young justice.

So I like the movie, but there are a few sour notes to be aware of. Jerry O' Connell does a hell of a job voicing 2/4 supermen.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:10:58 PM by 8ullfrog »