Author Topic: Biggest Hit  (Read 7349 times)

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
Biggest Hit
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
One of the highest grossing films of all time had production cost of $22,500 + $25,000 additional for music.

Estimates of the film's total revenues have varied widely: numbers as high as $600 million.

Deep Throat

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
Re: Biggest Hit
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:52:48 PM »
I never actually have seen Deep Throat. I'll have to see it some time and raise the profit higher :D I remember seeing Behind the Red Door at some midnight movie marathon.. and I don't remember any of it ::) Sometimes hype is disappointing :P

We actually should list some charts on these. I bet some would surprise us.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »
El Mariachi was made on $7,000.00 and grossed over $2 million with limited release and video sales (and is really a decent flick, actually). It also launched the career of Robert Rodriguez who is now a major Hollywood player.

Paranormal Activity was made on $15,000.00 and so far has grossed over $86 million domestically. You can expect we'll see more from these filmmakers...

The original budget for Clerks was $27,000.00 and the flick made over $3 million and launched the career of Kevin Smith, also now a major Hollywood player.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »
^ I thought Clerks would make the list.

Does anyone have stats on Holy Grail?

I remember seeing Behind the Red Door at some midnight movie marathon.. and I don't remember any of it ::) Sometimes hype is disappointing :P

Behind the Red Door Behind the Green Door  ::)

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »
Also, for Biggest Hit we'd have to consider movies that didn't do well at the theater, but got rented over and over after they went to DVD.

But.. on the flipside.. some of those could be considered 'cult classics'.. and flops by other people's terms.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:46:43 AM »
In that case Terminater ( 6 million to make) is a huge hit lol.

Look at The Blair Witch Project,, movie cost under 200k to make ( and that was mainly advertising) and made millions on box office reciepts and even more on dvd.
 And that movie blew chunks.

Or how about the zombiemovie called Cullen  written and drected by Marc Price. It costed only fifty pounds to make and won awards at Caans.
Its beng fought over by Hollywood producers to have a world wide release.
 Talk about instant hit,,if this movie makes 100k its one of the biggest hits to ever be filmed if you go by budget vs income.
 Personaly,,I cant wait to see it just out of morbid curiousity
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:49:59 AM by Robin-Graves »
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
The Evil Dead.

Budget was just $375,000, the film was a moderate success at the box office, grossing a total of $2,400,000 in the U.S. upon its initial release.It now has a dedicated cult following and has spawned two sequels.

It was banned in several countries, including Finland, Germany, Iceland and Ireland. In the United Kingdom, the movie was one of the first to be labeled a video nasty during the mid-1980s and was finally released uncut in 2001.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
It was banned in several countries, including Finland, Germany, Iceland and Ireland. In the United Kingdom, the movie was one of the first to be labeled a video nasty during the mid-1980s and was finally released uncut in 2001.

I just recently watched a series of BBC documentaries where they went over all the things that the UK censored in the 1980s - a huge section was devoted to Evil Dead because of its being an extremely popular Video Nasty.

At the end of it, I was chuckling at how tame most of the stuff the UK banned actually was in retrospect. Especially because usually what happened was the people trying to ban an item blew it out of proportion so that people had to see it for themselves, creating the popularity detractors were trying to avoid...  :D

And if it's true that they've banned words like 'gangsta' then they really have not seemed to learn their lesson. :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:50:31 AM »
I remember when The Davinci Code came out.
I feard allabout how it waspreaching heresy and making the Christian religion into a pack oflies.
Soooo,,, I read the book and found nothing like what was said by the detractors.
I bought the movie,sat through it severaltimes, and saw nothing like what people were saying.
Well, except for the one guys beliefe that Jesus wasmaried.
 I wish people woould actualy pay attention to what they are watching or reading before they start bashing it.
Like the EvilDead,,I saw a movie last night on Zone Horror ( British chanel if Im not mistaken) called Evil Aliens that was just as bad as Evil Dead.
I keep my standards low.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »
Hey um, a movie that should have gotten more attention that it got was ne that was released recently on dvd called The Righteous Kill.
First off, let me just say one thing,,im a bit biased on this one.
 I am a big huge fan of Robert Dinero and Al Paccino both.
To me the greatest movie ever made was Heat.
Now, saying that ( thanks Simon Cowel) I couldnt wait to tear into Righteous kill.
I go into  movie picking it apart.it usualy takes me two or three times watching it to actualy make a judgement.
I saw this movie,,then had to go back through,, and on the third time,,i had to say,,I was very friggin impresed!
 Plausable story,,believable characters, real life situations, and the two greatest actors in the industry on top of their games.
 I f I had to make a decision on which movie ( Heat or The Righteous Kill) I had to save from a burning house,, I would have to go insane and try and save both.lol
 I give The Righteous Kill an 8 out of 10.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:24:21 AM by Robin-Graves »
I keep my standards low.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »
Does anyone have stats on Holy Grail?

Holy Grail was filmed on location, throughout several picturesque rural areas of Scotland, with a tiny budget of around ?150,000 (approx. $350,000 in 1974); the money was raised in part with investments from rock groups, such as Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and Led Zeppelin, and UK music industry entrepreneur Tony Stratton-Smith (founder/owner of the Charisma Records label, for which the Pythons recorded their song albums).

In its opening weekend, it grossed a strong US$45,487 ($11,372 per screen). It played in limited release until December 2003, playing at 26 screens at its widest point and eventually grossing US$1,821,082 during its rerelease run. This version of the film still plays periodically at North American repertory theatres.

I don't know about video/dvd revenue, I think I payed about ?15 at the time.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »
Holy Grail was filmed on location, throughout several picturesque rural areas of Scotland.

^ have you ever seen the documentary where they go back to the original locations and stand around and talk about them. It's trippy and funny and cool :)

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 05:20:18 PM »
^ have you ever seen the documentary where they go back to the original locations and stand around and talk about them. It's trippy and funny and cool :)

No but I would like to.  :)

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »
I don't know about video/dvd revenue, I think I payed about ?15 at the time.

That's steep. I paid about ?6 from WHSmith (2-disc version).

That's one of the extras on disc 2.  :)

It also mentions that during breaks in filming, the crew were listening to the FA cup final on the radio. Liverpool beating Newcastle 3-0.  ;D

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 07:11:43 AM »
That's one of the extras on disc 2.  :)

It also mentions that during breaks in filming, the crew were listening to the FA cup final on the radio. Liverpool beating Newcastle 3-0.  ;D

It's really cool. It's super laid back, but that's why it's really interesting.

I just saw a documentary on tv about the making of Monty Python's Flying Circus, and the different trouble and issues they faced season to season. It was good too.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »
I got it for Christmas a few years ago,and cant watch it without about pissing myself laughing.
 I know the movie by heart ( seeing it first timein America in 1980 on a saturday night, it was on instead of the regular Monty Python episode).
I keep my standards low.