Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 513763 times)

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #3390 on: May 04, 2019, 04:53:47 AM »
Getting ready to install a new window in one of the bedrooms before I drywall the room.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3391 on: May 04, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
Removed all the drum shells out of their boxes and inspected them again. They've been stored away for about 6 months. I think I'm just going to take them to an auto body shop and have them clear coated. I could do it but I'm definitely not going to do the 12 coats lacquer/wetsand/buff method again. I thought about doing 3 coats Polycrylic. I would be fine with that, however, even that would be a pain. I can get one of those small portable paint booths (they look like tints). Spraying wouldn't be the problem as much as a place for them to dry. Yeah, if the auto body shop is reasonable, I will just let them do it. Or a furniture refinisher. I will check around.

I should have gone to the Kentucky Derby today. Is only a 2 hr. drive from here. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:51:19 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3392 on: May 04, 2019, 01:05:01 PM »
Asked my mom to pick up a mystery slurpee for me. She said "It's probably just bless'ed mango"

She was right.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3393 on: May 04, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »
Homework.

It's a good idea to have lots of underwear and socks so if you get really busy, you can put off laundry for a while.

It's a gorgeous day and I'm sitting in front of a computer.  I think in another quarter hour I'll take a walk or something.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3394 on: May 05, 2019, 04:54:23 AM »
Removed all the drum shells out of their boxes and inspected them again. They've been stored away for about 6 months. I think I'm just going to take them to an auto body shop and have them clear coated. I could do it but I'm definitely not going to do the 12 coats lacquer/wetsand/buff method again. I thought about doing 3 coats Polycrylic. I would be fine with that, however, even that would be a pain. I can get one of those small portable paint booths (they look like tints). Spraying wouldn't be the problem as much as a place for them to dry. Yeah, if the auto body shop is reasonable, I will just let them do it. Or a furniture refinisher. I will check around.

I should have gone to the Kentucky Derby today. Is only a 2 hr. drive from here.

Yes, drums would be a difficult task due to their shape. I have had great experiences with polyurethane. It has an extremely high gloss, goes on flat, and is easy to apply, however the better choice in polyurethanes is the oil based product. The water based poly works very well also, is a touch easier to apply, and clean up is obviously much easier but I found that the water based product has a tendency to yellow over time whereas the oil based poly remains crystal clear.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3395 on: May 05, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
Hmmm, glad you informed me of the water based stuff. I've seen others use it and was amazed how nice a water based urethane could look, however, I do not want it to yellow over time. Now, on darker woods, I do NOT like crystal clear finishes because it looks 'plasticy' to me. On lighter woods, like my maple shells, I have found I like it. Either way, I've decided to punt and have a pro do it. I'm not as gungho in my old age. lol Besides, I will still save a ton. I'm just happy, after inspection, the shells are good enough quality for clear coat.  ;)

Ok, time to get ready for my Niece's graduation party.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:46:23 AM by Schmoogsley »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3396 on: May 07, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
Ok kids, spread out and roll your mats out; it's nappy time.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3397 on: May 12, 2019, 12:08:00 PM »
Remembering that tarascon said to send his regards.  Still no internet.  I think that his mother's death has been sort of hard on him.  I keep trying to convince him to move back to Cali from the cold wilds of MI, but so far, no luck.  The real estate is cheap but the winters are brutal up there.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3398 on: May 12, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
I remember tarascon. Haven't conversed with him in a decade. lol (Yes, it's been that long. We are getting old).  :-\ Northern MI is breathtakingly beautiful. Great place to be IF you are an outdoorsman and don't mind the very cold Winters. However, your neck of the woods is the most prime in the country. I sure as hell can't afford to live there. Holy poo! Hell, you can still buy very nice 3 bedroom ranches for under $100,000.00 here. Yeah, Cali will have to remain a great place to visit. Would be nice to get tarascon's perspective however.   

Ok, I am enjoying my last cup of joe for the day, watching the news. UGH! How depressing. *click*

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3399 on: May 12, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »
It is perverse, the price of real estate here.  A 1 BR condo starts at $650k in our neighborhood.  There's no way I would have been able to afford this place at current market values and the same applies to most of my long time neighbors.

When houses do go for sale here, 3 BRs start in the low $1m range.  You can't touch a 2BR 1BA for under $800k.  It's obscene.  And the techies from SF are coming over and driving up prices, which makes it worse.  This is a nice middle class neighborhood but now the only people who can afford to buy are lawyers, doctors and software engineers.

I've had to stop watching most of the news, lest I go out and start tossing molotov cocktails.  If I were a young woman I would move to England to get away from the Handmaid's Tale type changes in reproductive rights.  So much for the women's movement.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:18:48 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3400 on: May 12, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »
Had to run to the drugstore. Didn't check the weather before I headed out the door with my cargo shorts and T-shirt. Holy poo! It's bless'ed 49°(F) outside. It was 80° just the other day. Typical weather this time of year.

I've had to stop watching most of the news, lest I go out and start tossing molotov cocktails.
I only watch local news anymore. I will get my metered dose of World News from the Internet.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:22:16 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3401 on: May 18, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
YouTube flat out locked me up on a "buy" page. For deep blue sea.

I was like "Deep Blue Sea? The one where sharks eat Samuel L. Jackson? Why the golly is YouTube pushing this?"

Then I remember someone rickrolled me with the "My head is like a shark's fin" video by LL Cool Jay on April Fools.

Man, they sat on that hard sell for a while. I closed the tab and started over. No more hard sell.

But seriously, I blow HOURS zoned out to Russian car crash videos, and they thought the path to my wallet was Deep Blue Sea.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3402 on: May 18, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »
Holy crap, it's hot and humid out. Summer is here. Got the AC cranked. Electric bill is gonna shoot back up. Was nice for past 3 months to have a low electric bill.

Enjoying my last 'cup a joe' right now. With some cheese and crackers. Finishing up this large brick of sharp cheddar I got at Sam's Club oh like 2 months ago. I can't remember the brand name. I always put the cheese in a ziplock baggie after I first open it. It's really good. I know it's a 24 month aged cheese. I do remember that. It has a slight goats cheese flavor to it. Lately, my favorite cheese has been Tillamook Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar. Gettin more of that next. Have to go to Kroger to get it though and it's really expensive there.  >:(  Maybe I should buy it online.  :P  My favorite cheese is Blue Cheese or Gorgonzola, but, I've been in a cheddar phase lately. I used to buy Gorgonzola exclusively because many years ago it was always cheaper than Blue cheese. Now, they are the same so Blue or Gorgonzola doesn't matter. Whatever is on sale.

Why do I shop at Sam's Club? Because it's so close I could literally walk there. And, their coffee bean prices are outstanding.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:20:56 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3403 on: May 18, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »
Krogers got Colby. Black label, green border, red print. I thought it was sharper than tilamook. Haven't been out to a Kroger since the car died.

Might be mixing the name up, I know Colby is some crap bland cheese mix for fat people. Like the people who would call Jack cheese "ethnic".

Spent 15 minutes scrubbing my roommates mouse, he hit one of those "Call Microsoft immediately at 1-900-INDIA" potholes, and I just, couldn't use the mouse.

I don't know if I can help him anymore, the thing looked worse than a romero zombie left out in the sun. And it started out Silver and black. Just a simple 2 button scroll wheel dell USB, and I've never seen a mouse that bad.

Like even in the nightmare 4chan images, those mice aren't as bad.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to charge him $200 next time he asks for help, plus he needs to buy new hardware (mouse and KB)

Because golly.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3404 on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »
Yes, I agree with you. The Tillamook has a milder flavor. I normally go for the really strong cheeses (like the one I'm chowing on now). Didn't try Tillamook til few months ago. Seems more like a traditional type cheddar, but, I did enjoy it. After that, I will probably go back to Blue cheese for awhile. Sam's Club sells an Amish Blue Cheese in a large tub. I normally get that. Kroger is not a good place to buy cheese. $$$
However, you better be a real cheese lover if you buy a large brick from say Sam's Club. Throwing away half of it a year later isn't very economic either.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:54:40 PM by Schmoogsley »