Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 433476 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #2865 on: July 30, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
We could use some of that.  Parts of our state are up in flames.  I have to go water my tomatoes again this morning.

Online goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2866 on: July 31, 2018, 01:25:26 AM »
monsoon atm then up to 31 degrees at the week end.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2867 on: July 31, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
Plastic straw ban. Someone gag moonbeam so he can stop airing his shitty, shitty ideas.

Speaking of shitty ideas, apparently the homeless used those plastic grocery bags for toilets, and banning them caused a hepatitis outbreak.

Once again, something which probably never crossed moonbeams thoughts.

I don't want biodegradable garbage straws, I don't want compostable anything.

The whole crunchy organic worldview that democrats are trying to sell does not appeal to me. If the world is going to be on fire anyway, why take bless'ed straws away?

And I want to hit people who say they're on the right side of history for poo this unimportant.

I've purchased straws maybe, five times, ever. Only reason that happened is when I move they disappear. As for fast food drinks, well, everything fast food is meant to be disposable, and none of it is precisely environmentally concious.

The DNC sent me a membership statement and a solicitation for $18, $25, or $35. My choice! I should fill the envelope with straws.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2868 on: August 01, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »
I have been shocked by the amount of plastic I've encountered alongshore and in sailing.  I think chrisT is right about the origins of the now ubiquitous plastic straws.
 I can remember shooting the paper sleeves off of paper straws as a child.  I never felt deprived with paper.  And it's beyond me why McDonald's et al can't manage a straw free drink lid.  There are eco friendly stainless steel straws that are reusable and can pretty much poke through anything.  Never have to buy another one. 

Here:  https://www.amazon.com/SipWell-Stainless-Drinking-Cleaning-Included/dp/B00KGIANQ2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533168195&sr=8-5&keywords=stainless+steel+straws

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2869 on: August 01, 2018, 10:54:04 PM »
I'm wondering what Microsoft is calling it's removal of choice philosophy. We'll schedule restarts for you, isn't that convenient? Oh, you were rendering something? Start over.

You can Update and restart, or Update and shut down, isn't that convenient? No you do not have the option to just shut down. Oh, you wanted to turn the computer off NOW? Tough poo, it will turn off when we're done downloading crap.

Oh, your internet is down? COMPONENT INSTALL FAILURE. No, we won't tell you what component failed, we wouldn't want you mucking about in our files.

Oh, and Cortana is mandatory. You can disable it through convoluted means, but we'll just run the process in the background anyway.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2870 on: August 02, 2018, 04:51:58 AM »
The mail truck bringing our mail was burglarized.  A check sent to me never arrived.  And I lost my wedding ring while gardening.  Great day yesterday. It's too dark to go look for the ring right now but I'm having trouble sleeping as a result.

Update:  I've looked everywhere and no luck.  That's a real drag as I really liked that ring.  It was comfortable and comforting.  We looked again tonight and were about to quit when we saw the glint of gold in the dirt behind one of the hydrangeas.  I'm pretty relieved.  I won't do that again.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:56:34 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2871 on: August 03, 2018, 02:46:16 AM »
Get your spouse to go to one of those supermarket turn things with plastic rings in it. This is your new gardening ring. Plus, every time you go to garden, you'll look down and know if you're wearing your gardening ring.

congrats on finding it.

I'm not a big fan of the postal service. I eventually gave up on fixing my PSP screen and bought a refurb because the postal service kept smashing the screens, and the seller kept using envelopes, even when I asked for a box.

Seller kept saying "The envelope is sufficient. no refund". Ebay threatened to close my account if I did a charge back, I said that was fine, and they refunded me to prevent me doing a chargeback. They did not close my account, but I don't use it.

The refurb blocks homebrew.

Online goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2872 on: August 04, 2018, 01:41:26 AM »
I love my sony psp 3000 but as the mobile took over so many went in the bin / second hand shops.
cheap games to be had now though and i keep looking at the vita at the local trade in store, for £60 not too bad

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2873 on: August 04, 2018, 08:26:13 AM »
Get your spouse to go to one of those supermarket turn things with plastic rings in it. This is your new gardening ring. Plus, every time you go to garden, you'll look down and know if you're wearing your gardening ring.

congrats on finding it.

I'm not a big fan of the postal service. I eventually gave up on fixing my PSP screen and bought a refurb because the postal service kept smashing the screens, and the seller kept using envelopes, even when I asked for a box.

Seller kept saying "The envelope is sufficient. no refund". Ebay threatened to close my account if I did a charge back, I said that was fine, and they refunded me to prevent me doing a chargeback. They did not close my account, but I don't use it.

The refurb blocks homebrew.

I'll be more vigilant re the ring in the future.  I don't need a plastic substitute.  If need be, I'll just take it off before gardening.

There's a used book dealer on amazon that insists on using thin unpadded envelopes to ship books and I can't tell you how many times I've gotten dinged or damaged copies thanks to that practice.  Now if there's an alternative even slightly more expensive, I avoid them.  The idea that a dealer would ship fragile electronic equipment in an envelope and not respond reasonably when it was damaged, staggers the imagination.  I'd certainly kick up a fuss if it happened to me.  ebay has generally been pretty good when dealing with goony sellers.  Sorry you had that experience.  Negative feedback is always a great idea if the seller is a jerk.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2874 on: August 04, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
My grandpa sold books. His go to wrapping enhancement was Ritz boxes. Some customers bitched about that, but most left compliments.

And yeah, it's the 3000.

I was not permitted to leave feedback.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2875 on: October 02, 2018, 02:58:27 AM »
I'm thinking that I'm too tired to think of something clever to say.  I'll drink some peppermint tea and go back to sleep.

Online goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2876 on: October 02, 2018, 08:37:01 AM »
"Italian lecturer suspended by CERN for 'physics invented by men' speech "
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/01/italian-professors-speech-removed-cern-website-accused-sexism/

First woman Physics Nobel winner in 55 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45655151

you gotta laugh

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2877 on: October 06, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »
Had a stroke of good luck today. While walking the dog I was behind the goodwill and saw a man trying to give away two flatscreen televisions. Goodwill doesn't take them for whatever reason, and turned him away, so I told him I'd be happy to take them off his hands.

Lo and behold, one of them was the same model as the damaged one my mom has and wanted to replace. The remote didn't even need to be programmed!

Specifically, the colors were burning out, and she had ripped the coaxial jack off the back while cleaning.

all I had to do was sign her into youtube!

I might use the other one to replace my monitor, so long as it works.

whoops, meant to put this in what are you doing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:31:20 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2878 on: October 06, 2018, 11:42:15 PM »
That's splendid!  Congrats!

I'm going to stay off of Facebook for a while so I don't feel quite so much like jumping off a bridge, or blowing up the President's residence while he's home.  We have been talking seriously about emigrating lately.

Online goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2879 on: October 07, 2018, 12:48:15 AM »
central heating boiler repaired just in time  :)