Author Topic: Cool, Funny, Strange, Scary or any other YouTube Vids!  (Read 230236 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Cool, Funny, Strange, Scary or any other YouTube Vids!
« Reply #990 on: April 10, 2023, 01:23:29 AM »
went in 1989.not changed much except the prices.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #991 on: April 10, 2023, 08:29:41 PM »
I - and my family - love(d) WDW. When we lived in Alabama we had annual tickets (after all, it was only a thirteen-hour drive away!). We stayed in the resort for weeks on end, and visited the parks for a couple of hours at a time. We utilised some of the lesser known things: horse rides, boat trips, cycle & canoe hire etc., and used the parks as a highlight. Funnily enough the Americana/ American history bits of it mostly passed us by, we were simply immersed in the Disney-ness of everything.

That sounds like a better way to enjoy the place.  I just remember standing in line for long waits to get into "rides" or environments that we had to go through at a predetermined pace.

And, what, pray tell, caused you to be residing in Alabama?  That seems a curious place for a British citizen to be living/working.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:31:18 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #992 on: April 10, 2023, 09:49:24 PM »
I've been to Land twice. Once before they modernized it, so I got to go on the sweaty submarine ride, and once after.

The modernization honestly seemed to have caused them a lot of problems, there were a lot more closures and breakdowns. I didn't get to go on splash mountain or pirates either time, and apparently pirates is still breaking down, and splash mountain has been de-racisted. Like what kind of poo were those animatronics spouting?! They're canceled now.

I liked universal studios, but apparently, they've torn out all the rides I liked.

I thought charging $50 for an adult ticket was kind of a richard move, because all the kids are going to understand is "Not going" rather than "My wallet will not survive the experience". I don't even know what it's bloated to since.

The fact that the "Star Wars land" has some friggin logan's run wristband where you are ignored once your moneyjuice runs down is... honestly alarming. Like Six said, it's an insight into a culture that actively hates all life, and simply wants money.

I understand annual passes have recently been shitcanned in favor of a more abusive system.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #993 on: April 11, 2023, 02:02:19 AM »
A friend lives in L.A. and usually buys a pass to take her daughter there.  Recently, they've introduced tiered passes and those are limited like frequent flyer mile tickets to certain times and days.  I don't know who is doing the marketing and sales there, but they are clearly focused more on the bottom line and profitability than anything else.  The rides you describe are all alien to me as I only remember "It's a Small World," the "Haunted House," "Robinson Caruso/Treasure island," "Epcot Center", and the Mad Teacup ride.  The rest is all beyond me.  We went when DW was relatively new.  I found it entertaining, but we only went for a few days.  I was a teenager at the time.  I've never felt the desire or need to go back, but I don't have kids, so I'm sure that colors my perspective.  It does seem like a tourist trap.  I'm sure there are myriad other experiences that are equally remarkable to share with one's children at a fraction of the cost.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #994 on: April 11, 2023, 06:43:28 AM »
After the Second World War, when the Americans and the Russians were playing a game of "our German rocket scientists are better than your German rocket scientists", America found itself with a bunch of German rocket scientists. They obviously couldn't be allowed to pollute good American stock, so they were housed hundreds of miles from civilization in an old mustard gas plant in a swamp on the Tennessee river. Huntsville, Alabama thus became a world centre for rocket scientists, and they still make engines there.

I was - in my day - a world class systems engineer, so I ended up working in the middle of this. I wasn't working on rockets per se, I was working on a distributed computing version of WOPR (qv "War Games").

Not by chance quoted in For All Mankind by chance, where you?
Christ was stated more than a few times.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #995 on: April 11, 2023, 12:51:13 PM »
That show was engaging.

I didn't know about Huntsville.  There are other enclaves, like Oak Ridge, TN, or Greenbelt, MD, that more readily come to mind.  Impressive background, Chris.  I hope you are enjoying a pleasant retirement after all of that.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #996 on: April 12, 2023, 03:24:33 PM »
The more famous Huntsville is the one in Texas with a well-known prison!

Retirement is made up of full-time childminding for me: harder work than a proper job - have you ever tried to reason with a two-year-old?

I think you'd have to catch up with one first.  I'm not sure I'm even up to that nowadays.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #997 on: April 13, 2023, 07:27:57 AM »
The more famous Huntsville is the one in Texas with a well-known prison!

have you ever tried to reason with a two-year-old?

Boys not too bad, Girls though  :-\ :-\

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #998 on: April 14, 2023, 07:11:10 PM »
You could always find a bunch of guys and dress alike.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #999 on: April 15, 2023, 03:01:21 AM »
 ??? ???

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1000 on: April 15, 2023, 06:27:34 AM »
You could always find a bunch of guys and dress alike.

Ha, I really enjoyed that. Thanks!
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1001 on: May 16, 2023, 09:33:40 AM »
The British Museum has a series of videos called "Curators Corner" in which individual curators highlight and explain objects in the vast collections of the Museum.  There are too many to recount here but this guy is explaining a 17th c. night clock.  I'd never seen one and the way it's put together is fascinating.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1002 on: June 09, 2023, 07:26:52 AM »
The British Museum has a series of videos called "Curators Corner" in which individual curators highlight and explain objects in the vast collections of the Museum.  There are too many to recount here but this guy is explaining a 17th c. night clock.  I'd never seen one and the way it's put together is fascinating.

watch a few of these, very interesting