Author Topic: War and wonder  (Read 10530 times)

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
Re: War and wonder
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
I remember the The Green Man as you go up the hill is on the right just before the roundabout. Now my memory seems to say the dairy was opposite the green man.   Ok back on topic Just for the record I'm not anti semitic hell I have met some great Jewish characters over the years. One Jewish friend use to crack me up. Every time he met someone new even the darn taxi driver he would tell them " My uncle is in prison in Israel for painting anti war slogans one night on over 300 Israel tanks.  But I do get annoyed when some not all start banging on  about how there race has been persecuted over the centuries. As if as said before they where the only race. And what really makes me go super nova is when you don't agree and attack there politics in anyway they pill out the  anti semitic. Which I would love to shove up there rear end.   Now i'm starting to rant......end trans ;)

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »

but you never hear much about that, it's always look what happened to the poor Jews. As if they where the only god dam race that suffered ;)

Civilians do most of the suffering in war.
  Politicians do most of the scheming and plotting.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
Just for the record I'm not anti semitic hell I have met some great Jewish characters over the years. One Jewish friend use to crack me up. Every time he met someone new even the darn taxi driver he would tell them " My uncle is in prison in Israel for painting anti war slogans one night on over 300 Israel tanks.  But I do get annoyed when some not all start banging on  about how there race has been persecuted over the centuries. As if as said before they where the only race. And what really makes me go super nova is when you don't agree and attack there politics in anyway they pill out the  anti semitic. Which I would love to shove up there rear end.

Why do Jewish people who "bang on how their race has been persecuted over the centuries" bother you so much? Jews have been persecuted over the years. That's a fact. Around 6 million Jews were killed during the holocaust (78% of Jews in occupied Europe at that time). Obviously other races/religions have been persecuted over the centuries as well, anyone who says otherwise is wrong, but is seems reasonable to me for Jews to highlight atrocities against Jews. I've certainly never met (or read about or seen on TV) a Jew who says no other religion has experienced any persecution in the past.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »
I cant speak for anyone but I think ABC might mean that he doesnt like it when a culture uses its past traumas to justify the present without making an attempt to overcome along the way. EVERYONE'S culture has some sort of violence or betrayal, my family is American Indian and my Grandpa grew up on a reservation but he went on to become the owner/president of his own construction company and even though he shared with us the hard times that his family went through he never used it as "an out". That's how Im reading this but thats just me...... :-\

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »
ohcheap1  understood It's the way they use it...........

Anyhow  back to work :(

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
Ok moving on, been thinking about this. I really don?t think percentage matters were ethnic groups are concerned. The fact is the Jews suffered huge losses under horrific conditions.  Although I have no desire to visit the camp on the grounds of being too sensitive. The camp as caused enough pain and sorrow, why add one more to its list.  Thanks for posting those pictures I did get this kind of sinister feel from them, maybe because of knowing what went on.

cheers

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
Why do Jewish people who "bang on how their race has been persecuted over the centuries" bother you so much? Jews have been persecuted over the years. That's a fact. Around 6 million Jews were killed during the holocaust (78% of Jews in occupied Europe at that time). Obviously other races/religions have been persecuted over the centuries as well, anyone who says otherwise is wrong, but is seems reasonable to me for Jews to highlight atrocities against Jews. I've certainly never met (or read about or seen on TV) a Jew who says no other religion has experienced any persecution in the past.

I think the problem is that it's hard to separate out Palestine.  You're kind of caught in a loop whereby the Holocaust validates Israel and therefore Israel's right to defend her borders, and wanting the debate about the Holocaust to subside so you can debate Palestine, somehow makes you insensitive to it? 

I don't think anyone sane doesn't deplore what happened to the Jews and has a greatest respect for their entitlement to a homeland, but that has to remain a different issue to the present politics of the area, which it doesn't seem able to do.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
I see what you're saying ABC but on the same hand the museum is there to honor those fallen victims and what they stood for. War is such a catch 22 aint it?

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »
Jews are killing Palestinians by the 100's

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
Israelis.

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I think the problem is that it's hard to separate out Palestine.  You're kind of caught in a loop whereby the Holocaust validates Israel and therefore Israel's right to defend her borders, and wanting the debate about the Holocaust to subside so you can debate Palestine, somehow makes you insensitive to it? 

I don't think anyone sane doesn't deplore what happened to the Jews and has a greatest respect for their entitlement to a homeland, but that has to remain a different issue to the present politics of the area, which it doesn't seem able to do.

I researched this conflict years back looking for answers. No guessing who I found at the bottom of the pile of sh it yep the brits. I use to debate this with a passion on forums until frustration took over and I stopped. I?ve managed to suppress it for a few years now until this discussion started.  Forgive me if I came on a tad strong it?s year of suppression.  I do have sympathy for the plight of the Jews and yes they do have the right to defend their borders.  But that?s no excuse for them to inflict torture and persecution of another race.  How can you seek sympathy and respect when you?re doing the very same to others, and blightent with it too. This is my underlying problem........

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »
Israelis.

Correct Israelis,sorry for my misquote.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 03:14:43 AM »
I researched this conflict years back looking for answers. No guessing who I found at the bottom of the pile of sh it yep the brits.

Personally I lay the blame squarely at Truman's feet.  Not for recognising Israel, but for sanctioning a borderless State.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »
The blame rests with Lord Allenby for giving away land that wasn't ours to give in the 1st place.
   If it isn't the Yanks it's us.  ::)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 09:21:47 AM »
The blame rests with Lord Allenby for giving away land that wasn't ours to give in the 1st place.
   If it isn't the Yanks it's us.  ::)

Can you elaborate a bit on that as I always thought Viscount Allenby was the one who defeated the Ottomans in the middle east after they had sided with Kaiser Wilhelm?