Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 36952 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Brexit
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »
I'm curious: can the U.K still call it vegan cheese?
veggie burgers + sausages can be called  sausages and burgers - European Parliament on Friday voted to allow producers of meatless foodstuffs to continue calling them "sausages" and "burgers" if they desire

Veggie cheese nope - non diary product - 2017, the Court of Justice of the European Union (EU) ruled that dairy-alternative products cannot be sold in the EU under names such as ‘milk’, ‘butter’ or ‘cheese’.

bingo

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »
My husband, for health reasons, used to frequent a vegan restaurant for lunch.  They had some good creative sandwich wraps.  The one thing I never could get comfortable eating was "vegan cheese."  It's like some kind of weird test tube produced congealed vegetable fat.  Not palatable at all.

And what's up with hamburgers?  They don't contain any ham.  Why isn't anyone kicking up a fuss about that?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »
never call tem hamburgers myself , always beefburgers over here

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »
Aye, that you are.

I'll take that as a compliment.

veggie burgers + sausages can be called  sausages and burgers - European Parliament on Friday voted to allow producers of meatless foodstuffs to continue calling them "sausages" and "burgers" if they desire

Veggie cheese nope - non diary product - 2017, the Court of Justice of the European Union (EU) ruled that dairy-alternative products cannot be sold in the EU under names such as ‘milk’, ‘butter’ or ‘cheese’.

bingo

We are not in the EU though? That was my point.

Even if we were, I'd still call it vegan cheese - or "muck" now I think of it.

My husband, for health reasons, used to frequent a vegan restaurant for lunch.  They had some good creative sandwich wraps.  The one thing I never could get comfortable eating was "vegan cheese."  It's like some kind of weird test tube produced congealed vegetable fat.  Not palatable at all.

And what's up with hamburgers?  They don't contain any ham.  Why isn't anyone kicking up a fuss about that?

It's fun watching those EU-people-folk doing their thing. I thinks they're a bit cray cray.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
We are not in the EU though? That was my point.
Even if we were, I'd still call it vegan cheese - or "muck" now I think of it.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8867175/Vegan-sausages-renamed-tubes-new-EU-law.html

Britain would be able to opt out of the law if it passes, because it is leaving the EU.
But British ministers could choose to adopt the measures, and UK farmers exporting to the EU would be forced to abide by the rules.

not quite yet were not  ??? ???

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
So they are to be called Vegan Tubes?

I think bringing legislation into this argument is somewhat silly, but it has bothered the caveman bit of my brain that the stupid brands can call their bean patty sandwich a "burger" or worse, their nasty meatless tubes "Hot dogs".  Much as there is no such thing as Almond or Oat "Milk". At least some companies are honest enough to call their product "Dairy Substitute".

I had a friend who would very often throw out the hot dogs at a bbq and replace them with shitty tofu dogs, she was eventually banned from the grilling area. Yes, we CAN tell the difference, Rachel.

People would get REALLY MAD about it.

Morningstar has never made a product I've enjoyed.

I believe I made a thread about the impossible whopper, I was impressed by everything but the price. I've yet to try the other one, and I scarcely remember the name. Beyond burger?  I know they used Carl's Jr as the chain to launch it, and I've not been to one of those since, poo, 2009.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »
The Beyond Meat burgers are good, based on pea protein.  But, they're hideously expensive.  Morningstar Farms spicy black bean burgers are ok, but the rest of them, meh.  I like Quorn burgers.  They use some kind of mycoproteins.  They have fake chicken burgers, fake hamburgers, etc.  Not bad in general.  Morningstar farms uses GMO sources so not among my favorite brands in this genre.  I'm not really a burger eater, but my husband likes to eat them.  He usually eats his meat burgers at lunch in restaurants, while we use veggie burgers at home.

I sort of pause at the idea of vegan sausages.  I'm not a huge sausage fan, but Aidell's makes several pretty tasty chicken varieties.  They also make a range of burgers, with the carmelized onion chicken burgers among the best.  I don't mind tofu, but it seems a bit of a stretch to force it to substitute for a completely different food culture like burgers and hot dogs.  I haven't tried any tofu sausages but it's mostly because they sound like they'd suck.

There's plenty of delicious Asian recipes that feature tofu.  Why not just eat those?  I make this one sometimes and it's really good.  https://www.food.com/recipe/thai-tofu-and-green-bean-red-curry-83380

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8867175/Vegan-sausages-renamed-tubes-new-EU-law.html

Britain would be able to opt out of the law if it passes, because it is leaving the EU.
But British ministers could choose to adopt the measures, and UK farmers exporting to the EU would be forced to abide by the rules.

not quite yet were not  ??? ???

This part of the bill failed and veggie/vegan burgers and sausages are unaffected. However, the changes passed for dairy names and so Vegan Cheese is now not allowed.

What I don't get is what happens to soya/oat/almond milk etc. Hang on, I've just checked the Alpro site and their products have no mention of the word "milk". Am I going mad or did they used to?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2020, 04:54:29 AM »
I'm cool with renaming the beef products if the vegans don't get a vote.

Since they don't eat them anyway.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »
Applying common sense, this is the right result: "burger" doesn't imply meat, it implies a shape, ditto "sausage" (although direct shapes in America, where sausage comes in patties, and Scotland, where it comes in squares). It is the adjective before that indicates the content ("pork" sausage, "beef"burger). But "cheese" is the indicator that it is dairy related.

What I don't pretend to understand is how the cattle industry allows us to call burgers made of beef "hamburgers".

The latter part of of that was six's point, was it not.

If veggie burgers contain veggies, do vegan burgers contain vegans? If so, my pescartarianism is bent.