Author Topic: what surprised you today...  (Read 74767 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: what surprised you today...
« Reply #375 on: February 08, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
Well don't look at me, I don't know how they got there.

a) I don't believe there is something that you "don't know"

and

b) If in doubt, blame dweez
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »
ZZzzzzzz..Huh, whu?...zzzzzzzzzz
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #377 on: February 09, 2017, 01:26:28 AM »
I slept very well well considering i took myself off the prescription cocodomol :)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #378 on: February 09, 2017, 05:12:56 AM »
It surprised me when I discovered you could buy aspirin with codeine over the counter in the UK.  I bought a bottle several years ago and brought it home but then forgot about it.  It's stashed away in the medicine cabinet somewhere.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #379 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »
It surprised me when I discovered you could buy aspirin with codeine over the counter in the UK.  I bought a bottle several years ago and brought it home but then forgot about it.  It's stashed away in the medicine cabinet somewhere.

These days you can't even buy 2 packets of paracetamol from the same shop.  However, there are about 20 shops within a mile radius of where I live that sell paracetamol.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
I'm sure things have changed a bit in the last few years.

Paracetamol is acetaminophen, aka Tylenol.  It upsets my stomach and is known to cause liver damage in large doses.  I don't take it, but you can get it readily here.  Why is it restricted in the UK? 

I'm dull.  I prefer aspirin.  Some people can't take it because of associated stomach bleeding.  I chew it before swallowing, but I don't mind the flavor, so I suspect that helps.  It isn't given to babies or small children because of the potential danger of Rye's syndrome.

As for not being able to sleep?  I just get up and read, drink herbal tea, and go back to bed when I am tired.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »

Paracetamol is acetaminophen, aka Tylenol.  It upsets my stomach and is known to cause liver damage in large doses.  I don't take it, but you can get it readily here.  Why is it restricted in the UK? 

I think it's to do with overdosing as people have a tendency to do so.

Frankly, I don't get it. If you think you need shitloads to cure your pain you'll just go to 2 or 3 shops to buy what you require. You can even buy it in corner shops and Poundland, so it's hardly given the impression of being dangerous.

Cigarettes on the other hand have death on their packets but you can buy as much as you can afford.

Stupid world.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »
That's amazing.  You can go into any drug store and buy generic acetaminophen in large bottles of 100-200 tablets anytime you like.  No prescription or restrictions.  There's dispensing info on the back label that tells patients not to take more than the recommended dose, but that's about it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #383 on: February 10, 2017, 01:39:05 AM »
I chew it before swallowing, but I don't mind the flavor, so I suspect that helps.  It isn't given to babies or small children because of the potential danger of Rye's syndrome.

yucky,
The prescription co codamol is 30% codeine and pretty good for pain relief  :) trouble it and naproxen i took gave you chronic constipation, so you then have to take fybogel to stop this and on it goes so the drugs dont make you worse than the original complaint.

Uusure why the UK is more paracetamol orientated than aspirin ??

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #384 on: February 10, 2017, 03:15:42 AM »
That's interesting.  Here, you have to sign in with a chemist to buy Sudafed and I'm pretty sure there are restrictions of 2 packages.

Goldie, I know constipation can be caused by opiates, including codeine, but I had no idea naproxen caused it also.  I am convinced that my father's death was due to naproxen.  He had terrible pain from arthritis and practically lived on the stuff.  A few  years after his sudden death in his early 70's, I discovered that this drug was associated with heart failure.  I'm convinced that this led to his heart attack and sudden death. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #385 on: February 10, 2017, 04:53:23 AM »
That's interesting.  Here, you have to sign in with a chemist to buy Sudafed and I'm pretty sure there are restrictions of 2 packages.

Goldie, I know constipation can be caused by opiates, including codeine, but I had no idea naproxen caused it also.  I am convinced that my father's death was due to naproxen.  He had terrible pain from arthritis and practically lived on the stuff.  A few  years after his sudden death in his early 70's, I discovered that this drug was associated with heart failure.  I'm convinced that this led to his heart attack and sudden death.

Naproxen is what gave me the internal bleed a couple of months ago, and I'd only taken 3 or 4 over 3 or 4 days. Hardly O.D.ing

I think I'll try ganja next time.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #386 on: February 11, 2017, 01:06:49 AM »
 ::)
O thanks for the info about naproxen , it didn't worry me tooooooo much  :o
I have 2 weeks worth at 2 a day  :-\

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #387 on: February 11, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
I have been taken naproxen regularly (1 or 2 pills a day) recently for tendinitis and I've started breaking out in hives.  Weeeee.  Stopped the past few days and it's subsiding.  Yet another medicine I've placed on my "only when absolutely needed" list.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2017, 06:19:09 AM »
I have been taken naproxen regularly (1 or 2 pills a day) recently for tendinitis and I've started breaking out in hives.  Weeeee.  Stopped the past few days and it's subsiding.  Yet another medicine I've placed on my "only when absolutely needed" list.

The caretaker at my daughter's school, who also happens to be somewhat of a giant, has to take Naproxen daily. He was telling me that unless he takes it with food and follows some other essential routines, it plays havoc with him giving all sorts of side-effects.

He took the same prescription as me and you'd think a Brian Shaw lookalike would be able to absorb the medicine more easily.

It seems that Naproxen is indiscriminating.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2017, 12:39:12 AM »
you definitely have to eat when you take Naproxen.
makes a lot of difference