Author Topic: what surprised you today...  (Read 74727 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: what surprised you today...
« Reply #390 on: February 13, 2017, 01:06:15 AM »
I have been taken naproxen regularly (1 or 2 pills a day) recently for tendinitis and I've started breaking out in hives.  Weeeee.  Stopped the past few days and it's subsiding.  Yet another medicine I've placed on my "only when absolutely needed" list.

I wouldn't take it again.  Allergies are weird.  You can develop them at any time.  The more you are exposed to the allergen, the worse the attacks become.   So it sounds like you developed an intolerance to naproxen (and NSAIDs).  Here's a link to Mayoclinic's site, which is reasonably trustworthy.  http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/drug-allergy/expert-answers/aspirin-allergy/faq-20058225

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2017, 05:04:55 AM »
what a beautiful city I live in
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #392 on: July 15, 2017, 12:07:53 AM »
I figured out where the "dead rotting flesh" smell wafting from the basement stairs was coming from when I stumbled onto a dead opossum this afternoon.  After discussing it with my neighbors, I opted for a large plastic trash bag and placed the corpse in the bin for trash day next Tuesday.

They're not much better looking dead.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #393 on: July 15, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
Why are real life surprises always so shitty? Like Ding! Check didn't get deposited! Ding! Mom killed car on freeway, or Ding! Surprise rotting corpse!

At least in a video game you'd get a chance at some gold or jewelry.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #394 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »
Why are real life surprises always so shitty? Like Ding! Check didn't get deposited! Ding! Mom killed car on freeway, or Ding! Surprise rotting corpse!

At least in a video game you'd get a chance at some gold or jewelry.

Lost my wallet on Friday, lost the charger to my Canon camera yesterday (well, probably ages ago but it was only yesterday I looked for it) and today I can't find my digital tape measure.

Found nothing of any use while looking for these things, unless I suddenly find a use for hair grips and dust.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #395 on: July 29, 2017, 12:37:45 AM »
had a great nights sleep  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #396 on: August 05, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
I believe our house was hit by lightening as when it struck I swear I saw the arc in mid air. Following this, our router is fried, the HDMI port on the Sky box it bust and the charger for our Dyson is also kaput.  I'm currently tethered to my mobile for internet access.

Damn!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #397 on: August 05, 2017, 08:21:26 PM »
This is a thing I am weird about. I use belkin power strips. They don't run off a ups or anything fancy, but they are each insured for 25k. I've heard it's a madam to redeem, but that lawyers can get you the money. I even keep the stupid upc packaging card to prove I bought em.

That being said, do you have homeowners/renters insurance? Do you have a list of serial numbers?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #398 on: August 06, 2017, 03:45:06 AM »
This is a thing I am weird about. I use belkin power strips. They don't run off a ups or anything fancy, but they are each insured for 25k. I've heard it's a madam to redeem, but that lawyers can get you the money. I even keep the stupid upc packaging card to prove I bought em.

That being said, do you have homeowners/renters insurance? Do you have a list of serial numbers?

It appears that the surge (if it was a surge) is more widespread than I originally thought. The Sky box hardly works at all and is not just the HDMI out facility. There are other appliances acting odd too, like our extractor fan in the kitchen.

We are insured but in all honesty it's probably cheaper to just but new items and keep the premium low.  The Sky box is an old one as we have the new version in out living room (and I really want to switch to Sky Q anywho), the Dyson animal charger seems faulty now but the vacuum is ok and other bits and bobs might calm down after a while.

It's all very odd, tho'.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #399 on: August 06, 2017, 05:42:09 AM »
I think if I was in an area prone to electrical storms I'd install a "Whole House Surge Protector", and I probably should anyway since there are other reasons why surges may occur. I think about $200USD by the time you add the 50 amp double pole breaker to the panel.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Whole-House-Surge-Protector-CHSPT2ULTRA-1/204761136

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #400 on: August 06, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »
It's the first time I've ever encountered it personally and I don't own my property so I'm limited to what I can do.

I think I'll have run the gauntlet.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #401 on: September 23, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
How warm it is at present   :-\ :-\