Author Topic: Tech Recs  (Read 29803 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Tech Recs
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
I've scanned all our threads in "computing" and I cannot find a suitable thread to simply ask for opinions/recommendations on certain hardware/software.  Therefore I'm starting this as a sort of generic one that shouldn't be reserved for my initial question, it can be recycled for future advice.

My dilemma is that I have a small amount of disposable dosh and it is time for a new laptop.  I wanted something with grunt and a big screen and ideally, under £700.

I have boiled it down to these 2 machines (not necessarily from this outlet as I can source then marginally cheaper elsewhere) and I'd like to ask for members' opinions on which one they'd choose.

The Samsung has a slightly more powerful CPU, but the Lenovo has better audio, Blue Ray, and possibly a better screen. The must be a deal breaking/maker in there somewhere?

I'm torn:

Lenovo

Samsung
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dandrummerman

• Homo Erectus
  • Black Sheep
Re: Tech Recs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
I'd take the samsung out of the two for the graphics alone (2gb radeon 7670 + intel 4000 vs intel 4000 alone). I think you could find one for a similar price (?) that had gddr5 graphics memory vs gddr3, which the samsung has.

I wouldn't use the bluray so that plays part in my suggestion; it's not a value added add-on for me personally.

The resolution on the samsung is higher than the lenovo.

They both look nice. If you want another possible candidate, I'd suggest the HP dv7* line (or dv6* for ~15inchers.) The one I'm typing on has done me well for over 2 years, and we purchased one recently at work for the shop floor. Not sure if they'd be any more bang for the buck than what you listed for where you live. worth a look though.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »
Of the 2, I agree with dan.  I have a blu-ray player in this system that I've never used for anything besides burning DVDs.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
The Samsung is the one I'd originally bookmarked and was on the verge of buying, but I thought I'd have a sniff round before a purchase as you always find something better 10 minutes after you've shelled out.

Thanks for the heads-up about the HP, Dan, I'll research it now.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 02:34:08 AM »
Agree on the Samsung, friend has a Lenova and for its price it's excellent.( a lot cheaper than above link though)
Totally agree on the blue ray comment. Have around with friends Asus laptop ( one of the original laptops with blue ray) nice picture but when are you going to take disc's around with you.( cough cough rips).

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:10:09 AM »
I managed to find the HP at the right price I think:

http://compadvance.co.uk/en/item/81543/HP-dv7-6b03sg

So I nearly have enough to run a poll.

Out of the 3?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 03:58:31 AM »
like a child in a sweet shop. ;D ;D
you could always customise
http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatecheliten1535.html

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 04:21:11 AM »
I've been using Novatech since they started and all of the comps in the house are their generic brand. 

I have had issues with at least 50% of what I have bought, and even the bad boy, dweez-like computer that I am using to write this on, they didn't send enough caddies for me to build a RAID system. I complained and they sent some out, but they were wrong.  I complained again and they apologised and then nada.  I still use them but I have lost a little faith.  Besides which, their laptops are only rebranded ones.  The Novatech laptop I am ungrading from broke a while back and I had to replace the motherboard, and it turned out it was a Mitac. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:29 AM »
Neither is a mac.

... but i suppose that you had noticed that.

That Novatech company originated in Portsmouth, but apparently couldn't sell any PCs locally.

I made that latter part up.

Offline dandrummerman

• Homo Erectus
  • Black Sheep
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
The HP you linked is windows 7. The samsung is windows 8. keep that in mind (although you can reinstall an OS of your choice later on).

The HP you linked is an "older model" that has a second generation i7 in it. Its got a higher processor than my dv6, but still lower than the 3rd generation i7 that's in the samsung.

The hp graphics card has gddr5 memory, but only 1 gig compared to the samsung's gddr3 2gigs. I'm too lazy to check notebookcheck.net to compare the two.

I really like the fingerprint reader in my dv6.

Samsung has a bigger hard drive.

Between those two, I'd go for the samsung, even though I love my HP. I'm the kind of guy who will wait til HP matches the specs and price, but that'd probably mean waiting months for something better to come along. I get better deals from HP anyway, since I am a student at a qualified university.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
The latest generation of the HP DV7, is unfortunately out of my price range:

HP DV7

I'm pretty sold on the Samsung now although I'd prefer Win 7 as I'm not sure all of my software will run on 8.  I'll order it later this week as I am finished double checking around for a better comp/deal, and many thanks for all the input as this thread has proved really helpful.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
The latest generation of the HP DV7, is unfortunately out of my price range:

HP DV7

I'm pretty sold on the Samsung now although I'd prefer Win 7 as I'm not sure all of my software will run on 8.  I'll order it later this week as I am finished double checking around for a better comp/deal, and many thanks for all the input as this thread has proved really helpful.

I haven't found any software yet that runs on Win7 that won't run on Win8.  I don't use a wide spread of software but I'm fairly confident you'll be alright.  All software might not support Metro, but it should run perfectly fine in Desktop.
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »
This is how Im going to make my living for the next couple of years (hopefully). Showing peeps how to use this horrendous OS

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 04:15:12 AM »
I knew that.

(Portsmouth is quite near Gosport)

Is that Godport you say.  I must change the batteries in my hearing aid.

This is how Im going to make my living for the next couple of years (hopefully). Showing peeps how to use this horrendous OS

I've only had a solitary encounter with it so far and didn't fancy it much.  This is coming from a man who used Win2K until about 2008.  Damn! I loved that OS.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »
Moved this thread to the correct section.

I haven't found any software yet that runs on Win7 that won't run on Win8.  I don't use a wide spread of software but I'm fairly confident you'll be alright.  All software might not support Metro, but it should run perfectly fine in Desktop.

I have a little time so I'll install it on a drive on this comp' and see how I get on.  I know a lot of my software have "Windows 8 versions" so whether my existing stuff runs or not, there will always be that nagging feeling to upgrade.