Author Topic: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?  (Read 19644 times)

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
  • I was JohnisaFatman what's it to ya
Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?
« on: May 26, 2013, 12:57:22 AM »
(Read the article here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352596/the-xbox-one-is-always-listening)
The new kinect for the xbox one will always be on, even when the xbox is off. Now equipped with a camera and microphone, rather than a sensor, it will always be watching and listening, waiting for "xbox turn on"
But isn't that a bit unsettling? Coupled with the xbox one's required 24/7 connection time to the kinect camera and microphone always being active, there could very well be a telescreen-like set up xbox one buyers will be facing.
Though, it's worth noting that it's still in discussion, we don't have all the information required.

Here is one quote worthy of mention:
In fact, the new camera and microphone system is so sensitive to your presence, that Microsoft says the new Kinect can even read your heartbeat while you're exercising, and recognize and process audio that's personalized to specific individuals. "This is rocket science level stuff," Xbox's Marc Whitten said during today's reveal.

Very, very creepy stuff.
O cursed spite that ever I was born to set it right!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:05:05 AM »
Duct. Tape.

Not that I'll be buying either the "Xbox One" (They throw a fit if you call it the one, or the xbox) or the PS4. Why? They removed the start and back buttons and replaced them with "options" and a "sharefuckfacetwatter" button. On the "Xbox One" they're a menu button and a resize button. Really? Resize? What the golly am I going to resize in a console game? Oh that's right, it's an "Entertainment experience" now. bless'ed Hell.

And I've been suffering. I really have. I've been holding back on buying a new computer. Not because I don't have the money, but because I WILL have GTA 5 in full glory. Even if I have to wait a year.

Thank god GTA 5 at least, is being released on the xbox 360. I'm out MicroBallmer. You got quite a bit of money out of me on the 360, I was at the midnight launch for several titles, but I'll probably never do that again.

Seriously, on the collectors edition of Gears Of War, you can tell that Microsoft repeatedly tried to neuter the bless'ed thing, to the point that Epic concealed the chainsaw gun when microsoft said to cut it, and only revealed it was still in at an announce event with BillG present. You could see the "golly you" in billG's eyes as he said "Huh, the chainsaw gun is still in there?"

That's what Microsoft is. Stifling innovation while pushing features no one bless'ed asked for.

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »
I agree with you so much on GTA 5. I don't know what it was like for Gears of War since I never had an xbox ^^.
I did have a PS3, never really had any of the exclusives but Little Big Planet~

This next gen really does suck, though. Definitely going to have to get a good PC.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Haha. I see what you mean about the Kinect and the telescreen. Seems like an authoritarian version of Wii Fit.

With a few notable exceptions, this gen did not really excite me much so I'm going to wait a few years before I buy anything. Probably not until the "independent developers" release their "alternative software".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:25:03 AM by SACPOP »

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:58 AM »
I thought creepy, too.

Probs will not buy. If we do it will be after a couple gens of the console are released.

Still like my 360 controller.

I feel like there is nothing on the new systems that I MUST have. Kinda neat, but a little over the top.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:34:18 AM »
Sorry, gotta defend wii fit here. Not only does the wii fit NOT use a camera, but you can user-lock your stats.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
I wasn't saying bad things about the Wii or Wii Fit. Wii is fine. I was saying the Xbox One with Kinect, an "always on" connection, a microphone, and biorythmic sensing was like an authoritarian version of Wii Fit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:05:26 AM by SACPOP »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »
Someone came up for the best name for this box of poo.

The Xbone

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »
In fact, the new camera and microphone system is so sensitive to your presence, that Microsoft says the new Kinect can even read your heartbeat while you're exercising, and recognize and process audio that's personalized to specific individuals. "This is rocket science level stuff," Xbox's Marc Whitten said during today's reveal.

Microsoft are trying the Sony "powerful enough to launch ICBMs" pre-launch b$ to hide the fact that it's a piss-poor excuse for a video game console (by last gen's standards).

The xbox360 store walk-by demo units do movement and audio sensing thing already (one of my workmates has one left over from a job somehow and it yells at passers-by and beckons them over to have a try).

The AI DJ is nothing new.  If a rocket scientist working for DARPA was to present their version of itunes genius after four years in the research labs, I don't doubt they are now working for M$.

I'd be surprised if the heartrate monitoring was happening sans wearable hardware, directional mic's can't follow someone as they bounce from side to side too well, and the sound of them doing the running-man can't help too much either.  If they can show us the tech they are achieving this with, that would be nice.

From what has been revealed about the next offerings from the two self-crowned kings of gaming consoles, they are not gaming consoles but facebook content generators.  They will be serving us games like Virtua-Slumlord™ and turn-based shopping simulators to play in-between watching movies we have bought the right to watch once in the the next 40mins from them.  And social network access so we can basically advertise for them ( posted via ps4/xbone  will likely follow any interaction via these consoles on the social networking circuits).

As for M$ trying to spy one their users telescreen style, I would think it will be in a more googlesque manner where they will be selling our private habits to marketing firms.

Duct. Tape.

Holds the world together, along with slot-screws and cable-ties.

But yeah, I was thinking a postcard or the like myself, not so sticking to remove.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:19:51 PM by megamarkd »

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:16 PM »
Nice summery of what the future of console gaming is ::)

And Nintendo has led the way in loungeroom gaming trends yet again.
You all laughed at them when they went for a more 'casual' approach with their last offering.  You all said they had lost direction and were dooming themselves by aiming at the mum, dad and the kids market.
Looks like they made more money than SCE and M$ and the 'grown-ups' aren't happy about that.

The big problem is though, the grown-ups couldn't design a gaming entertainment system to save their lives, so they are going to aim at selling a streaming video receiver disguised as a games machine.

"But but but....." but nothing.  Sony and M$'s past efforts have been designed to run specific software with no real focus on games except that the software that was developed for their machines was primarily gaming software.  All they needed to do was provide a machine that could process hardcore audio and video on-the-fly.  Now that facebook gaming is more popular than watching load-screen game-tips, they don't know what to do, thus the next gen is the 21st century version of a vcr and video rental shop rolled into one.  The top-of-line vcr's in the 80's let us play tetris, this updated version will let us play COD.

Nintendo have been making games for over 100 years.....

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Xbox One Requirements:

Requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region, and 720p or higher HDMI-compatible TV. To receive live TV via broadcast or cable, supported receiver device (television tuner or cable/satellite set top box) with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

Kinect Sensor for Xbox One (included) and periodic system software updates required for continued use; significant updates may be required during set-up and over time (ISP fees apply).

Some games not transferable and have no resale value; restrictions on games usage apply.

Games, Kinect and accessories made for Xbox 360 or original Xbox will not work with Xbox One.

Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users. 500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

You must accept Xbox Terms of Use (including Xbox software terms and game license terms), Microsoft Services Agreement, and Xbox One 1-year limited warranty. Some games have additional license terms.
    Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.

Additional requirements will apply.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:06:07 PM by brickbatz »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:28:52 PM »
Apparently if you obstruct the kinnect it "pauses" and tells you to clear the obstruction. So blocking it is not an option microsoft wants you to have.

Also, they are not mentioning the kinnect at all during their E3 presentation.

And Aisha Tyler said the internet is "Just bitching."

I'll madam with my wallet, Aisha Tyler.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01:46 PM »
I never bought the 360 and I have no immediate intention of buying the XboxOne, but once it's been out a while and the evil haxxorz do their devil magic I might look into it.

I'm more of a Playstation fan, so I'd be more likely to buy a PS4 but instead of buying around release as I've done in the past, I think I'll wait a while on this gen.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »
360 rocks, I love it. Never bought a connect.

I did have to send mine in for repair, and they replaced it. One annoying thing is if I wait too long between plays, it resets to UK defaults, so I guess mine came from the UK.

They released a new model a while back, dunno if those experience the red ring of death.

I loved the PS2, but the PS3 had a lot of "golly you consumers" rather than features. I especially disliked how they scaled back reverse compatability in favor of "Cloud" gaming, and removing the otherOS feature for shits and giggles was not cool.

I remember the PSP constantly nagged for updates. Never happened, since I had mine housetrained.

I'm about as interested in "Cloud" anything as I am a kick to the nuts. My SNES doesn't need to connect to the cloud for me to play games, and neither should my console now!

Seriously, golly the cloud. Local storage represent!

I do need to replace my PS2 controllers, and memory cards. Anyone know a cheap way to get legit dualshock 2's? Everywhere I look they want $30 for a dual shock 2. Even amazon wants $20.

There is a reason PS2 dominated. They did everything right, and didn't try to slip any "golly you consumers" in.

Another danger with the Xbone and PS4 is the constant cloud connection. People used to lie and say the PS3 and Xbox 360 had tamper proof screws that would scuttle the device if you opened the casing. With "Always On" functionality I would guess they could go over even the most basic of stats to see if you installed extra fans.

I obviously won't be buying Xbox live gold, to show microsoft that the Xbone is a step in the wrong direction.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:18:26 AM »
I loved my no cowpoo PS2. The Wii was OK except for the lack of adult games. Zelda got my woman into gaming which was a \o/ moment. She listened to her coworkers and me talking about the Xbox 360 and bought one, we love it. Borderlands turned her into a stone cold killa. I played a little Kinect Sports (maybe 10 gamer points worth) and a little Kinect Adventures. The Kinect dance game still has the cellophane on it. Kinect games suck. You can say "Xbox play game" and it will load the game or you can press the A button if you want it to load quicker. To me it's a totally useless POS that just attracts dust but at least it isn't required to be on to play games.

I have a $100.00 WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Wi-Fi 1080p to stream from my computer or connect to YouTube (I don't need the likes of Hulu  ;D). Video Formats supported: AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1),TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1) MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, FLV (h.264). Presently I can only stream MP4 to my Xbox.

I hope Microsoft loses their ass on this console.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

And 500 billion bytes (500,000,000,000B) = 465.6612873077392578125 GB
*sigh* the industry just refuse to acknowledge that 1024B = 1KB etc.  The only place where the standard is adhered to is in RAM.....(which I guess they need to because cpu's won't put up with being cheated like that).

Apparently if you obstruct the kinnect it "pauses" and tells you to clear the obstruction. So blocking it is not an option microsoft wants you to have.

Also, they are not mentioning the kinnect at all during their E3 presentation.

And Aisha Tyler said the internet is "Just bitching."

I'll madam with my wallet, Aisha Tyler.

Wow it's that time of the year again.  Time flies, and all that.
I'll have to go through the video reviews to do a catch-up on what's hot and why.

I'm guessing that M$ are saying nothing about Kinect because it's not sure what they are really doing with it.  They need to adapt it to their new hardware and that would be the biggest obstacle in the short term, so it is best they don't promise too much 'til they have that sorted.
I've seen the ads on the telly about Samsung's new telly that is basically what the new consoles will be minus the games, and it is using Kinect-like technology to bring that swipe-of-the-hand control that has been in every sci-fi film for the last 10 years to the real-world.  No doubt M$ will see this and want to use it in their machine.  It will be odd to have a camera peripheral tacked to the top of a telly that has a built-in camera peripheral.
Apart from that sort of stuff, Kinect is suffering the same issue EyeToy did: it brings nothing to table other than novelty games.
The good thing about exercise bikes and treadmills it that they work as great clothes horses once they are no long being used.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to take a photo of a lounge room and stick it in front of the Kinect camera to fool it into thinking it is not being blocked?  Light levels may come into play when it is discerning whether it is obstructed or not, and I suppose it would have some sort of depth perception, but machines are dumb no matter how smart they are and can always be fooled.  Whether the effort involved in fooling them is worth it is another question.

I feel sorry for Alisha Tyler, she is being paid to be a super-hot speaker by Ubisoft, and as she is primarily a voice actor (although her character in Archer look a lot like her irl), she needs to take work when it comes her way.  Ubisoft are the ones you should hate, not Alisha.  They should have got her upto speed before she walked out on stage.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
Aisha Tyler. Serious gamer, could take you down quick. They had her run a halo boot camp a while back. Apparently she has to hop XBL names because of the Greater Internet Fuckwad theory.

Considering she's a serious gamer, I'm surprised she's down with all the changes the Xbone brings.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
Right...did not know she was a respected amateur gamer.  But I don't really rate Halo.....

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »
If there were a pro gaming league, she'd be in it.

The only other people who did halo bootcamp were active duty snipers. Not sure why the army did it.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
pretty ingenious capitalism, companies, gov't, whomever, want to track/spy on you, and YOU actually buy the device to let them do it, no cost to them at all (actually they make money)  ;D

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/19/193607513/microsoft-responds-to-fan-outcry-changes-xbox-one-policies

Looks like they've changed some of the problematic requirements. The daily online check-in is no longer necessary, nor is the always on connection. None of these changes seem to address the always-on camera, though, which is kinda the main point of this thread.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/microsoft-shoots-down-government-spying-claims-fails-mention-xbox-one-or-kinect-57637.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:20:58 PM by SACPOP »

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
The new Kinect being sensitive enough to measure your heartbeat is scary.  It kind of reminds me of an episode of Stargate SG-1, where the Tollan guy who fancied Carter said that all of the Tollan citizens have a sub-dermal implant which monitors everyone's health and location, which allows the health services to find a person if they are unwell/dead.  But they were more evolved, and fictional.  To them, just the idea of their government hiding the truth was unthinkable.

Oh, wikipedia says:
However, users retain the software capability to turn off all Kinect functions while the sensor remains connected to the console
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect#Kinect_on_the_Xbox_One

That's nice.

I want the new Kinect to attach to my PC.  I hope it connects by USB.  Someone will make it work and it'd be awesome.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 06:02:57 AM »
I bet someone will connect a kinect to a computer and make it work. There will probably be drivers available in the coming years. Which'll be cool, always wanting to find cool ways to use my computer.  ;D

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
Considering all the different scanners the new Kinect has, it'd be pretty good for authentication.  You could just sit at your desk, and it'd log you in.

Kind of reminds me of this episode of Sliders in which the people of the version of Earth the Sliders slid to used their body's thermal patterns to authenticate users, because it's apparently unique to each person.  Turned out Quinn and this native female had the same thermal print -- a she-Quinn!  I think they had sex.

Of course, this was before it got weird with those monsters and apparently he has a brother that lives in another reality and he's Amish?  What?

The Kinect would be better, of course, you can also ask it "'puter, 'puter on my desk, who's the healthiest in a vest?" and it'd reply in its robot voice "Not you, Michelin man!"

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
Netflix has all 5 seasons of Sliders.  BTW, that was Jerry O'Connell's brother in real life, Charlie O'Connel.
--dweez

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 07:06:02 AM »
After some very extensive searching, it seems it is not available in the UK Netflix.  They do have Stargate.

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
I've never heard of Sliders

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
Pfft, youngun'!
--dweez

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
It was about a group of people that went around jumping through wormholes, into alternate versions of Earth and getting themselves into situations.  Unfortunately, every slide is random and they don't know how to get back to their own Earth :(.  And so the Sliders find themselves sliding from Earth to Earth, striving to put right what once went wrong (why not), and hoping each time that their next leap will be the leap home...

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 12:01:47 AM »
Lol, sounded like you slipped into the "Quantum Leap" intro right there at the end.
--dweez

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
Lol, sounded like you slipped into the "Quantum Leap" intro right there at the end.

I was going to say....

I bet someone will connect a kinect to a computer and make it work. There will probably be drivers available in the coming years. Which'll be cool, always wanting to find cool ways to use my computer.  ;D

It's already happened at the corporate level.  Optus (singtel) have kinect units all around their hq above big lcd screens.  They id a person walking past and put silly thought bubbles above their head on the screen, saying things like "I need to fart" and such.  The xbox, M$ and kinect logos have been blacked-out with permanent marker ink.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/19/193607513/microsoft-responds-to-fan-outcry-changes-xbox-one-policies

Looks like they've changed some of the problematic requirements. The daily online check-in is no longer necessary, nor is the always on connection. None of these changes seem to address the always-on camera, though, which is kinda the main point of this thread.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/microsoft-shoots-down-government-spying-claims-fails-mention-xbox-one-or-kinect-57637.html

I remember EA trying to force gamers into having an always-on Internet connection to play a certain game (that part I can't remember).  Didn't work.  I don't know why M$ thought that we would all be "Yeah, no worries".

When footage of a child getting changed is captured by a kinect camera and released onto the 'net, then maybe they will think about disabling the always on aspect of their camera....

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
Kinect for Windows is here. I wonder if the new Xbox One games will be available for the PC (doubt it) and if they are will the Kinect be forced? It kind of makes $ense that it would. The specs for our gaming computers are greater than that of the new console so that wouldn't be an issue.

COMMUNICATE WITH COMPUTERS NATURALLY

Kinect for Windows gives computers eyes, ears, and the capacity to use them. With Kinect for Windows, thousands of businesses and developers are creating applications that put people first—allowing their customers to interact naturally with computers by simply gesturing and speaking.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
Like the end of "Source Code" when Sam says "Oh boy!".
I need to watch this now, just to see if this (or something similar) happens!  Wikipedia says Bakula is in Source Code, fo' sho'.

Kinect for Windows is here. I wonder if the new Xbox One games will be available for the PC (doubt it) and if they are will the Kinect be forced? It kind of makes $ense that it would. The specs for our gaming computers are greater than that of the new console so that wouldn't be an issue.

COMMUNICATE WITH COMPUTERS NATURALLY
One problem I have with higher spec consoles is the higher spec PCs you'll need for the PC port.  I was planning on building a new PC for cheaps, that could still play most of the latest games, but now I'm a little worried about buying hardware that'll not be powerful enough for Half-Life 3 or whatever other fancy game that comes out.

I suppose I should be used to playing the older games :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:36:18 PM by chekovsulu »

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
chekovsulu, build what you can afford and upgrade one piece at a time. Don't buy a no-name cheap CPU and make sure it will run an upgraded graphics card (550W - 650W). The onboard graphics with an i5 CPU are pretty decent. It will run several present day games.

Here in the US Newegg is selling the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 for $219.99 USD.

* The K after i5 - 3570 means it can be overclocked.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:54:00 PM by brickbatz »

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
According to the spreadsheet I made in January, I was going to get the AMD FX6-6300, mainly because the AMD CPUs and sockets are apparently compatible across generations (if that's the right word for it).  So I could upgrade the CPU before the motherboard, or the motherboard before the CPU, depending on my budget.  And 6 cores!

I've got the the i5-3570K as my Intel option, because apparently I decided to make a spreadsheet comparing wattage as well as cost :D.  I forgot how serious I became about power usage during winter.

Interesting, the Intel CPU's gone up by £10, whereas the AMD one has gone down by £10.  It's probably demand.  I'm going to finish this spreadsheet next week, it's got me all excited again. :D

I don't seem to have a sheet for heatsinks yet...

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
It was about a group of people that went around jumping through wormholes, into alternate versions of Earth and getting themselves into situations.  Unfortunately, every slide is random and they don't know how to get back to their own Earth :(.  And so the Sliders find themselves sliding from Earth to Earth, striving to put right what once went wrong (why not), and hoping each time that their next leap will be the leap home...

That actually sounds really interesting! I'll probably try watching some of that.

Also I'm planning on building a gaming rig sometime soon. Once I get a real job. Not just volunteering  :P!

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
Oo, those are useful!

I came across this the other day:

An ideal example of this is the popular video game Shadow of the Colossus, which generally requires an efficient CPU with a speed of at least 3.5 GHz (Intel), or 4 GHz (AMD FX), and a decent graphics card. The main reason the AMD FX processors need to be of a higher clock speed than their Intel counterparts is that in the Bulldozer architecture, the number of floating-point units is half the number of total CPU cores. This means each unit is shared between two cores. If one core is currently using the FPU, the other core sharing it must wait to do the same. It is only free to perform integer operations. PCSX2 makes heavy use of floating-point.

Fortunately, I still haven't saved enough to commit!

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
I'm playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 right, now on high settings, with an Intel i3 and a decent video card. I still want the i5.

Operating System
   MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
   Intel Core i3 2120  @ 3.30GHz   43 °C
   Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
   8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
   ASRock H61M-HVS (CPUSocket)   39 °C
Graphics
   AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (2GB Memory)