Author Topic: Status Quo episodes  (Read 2866 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Status Quo episodes
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:58:17 PM »
I like boring, ordinary episodes of shows. Maybe they're there to take a breath between shattering changes, or episodes where Things Will Never Be The Same Again.

For example, there is an episode of sealab 2021 where everything is played straight, like a serious episode.

Data's Day is one of the finest episodes of TNG, and it's explained as just another day on the Enterprise. There is also Lower Decks, which showed what life is like for people who aren't on A shift.

Fffffuck, another one comes to mind. Hollow Pursuits, in which you get to see the A shift through a pair of eyes, which occasionally shows them in a less than flattering light.
(Riker is a sleazeball, Geordi is a whiny micro manager, Picard is a doddering oldie.)

I've heard there is an episode of "It's always sunny" where instead of being an escalating progression of hijinks, they are portrayed as bitter mean drunks. And we all remember how Seinfeld ended, where their quirky foibles were judged from without, and their character was found wanting.

If you've got other examples, I'd be happy to take a look.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Status Quo episodes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
At least one of those alkies killed someone driving home. My guess is Norm.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:21:34 AM »
At least one of those alkies killed someone driving home. My guess is Norm.

Nah, the postie I reckon would be the more likely to hit someone and run.  Norm was too down on everything, he would be worrying about hitting someone and what sort of world of pain he would be in if he did.  The postie on the other hand was not too worried about much.  He would be the guy who would know he was too drunk to drive, yet still jump in his car, because it'll be alright.....

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:21:51 AM »
I always assumed they took cabs. On the east coast it's pretty common for people living in a city not to even own a car.