Author Topic: The White Queen  (Read 3690 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
The White Queen
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
As I mentioned on the TV thread I really like the show or mini series the White Queen. Ive watched the documentary show about it and I give will to the plot of the show and the protrayal of the characters. King Richard is propped as so honorable on the show but his history portrays him as villian. Just wondering which is more accurate?

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
Re: The White Queen
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
Neither. He was likely in-between.

History is always written by the winners (thus "he was a baddy"), and revisionism is designed to rebuff received wisdom (ergo "oh no he wasn't"), not to actually be correct.
I remember being told more-or-less the same thing for my GCSEs.  We were taught that Shakespeare made Richard III very deformed to make the audience like him less and to show him as a rotten a person.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:20:02 AM »
Agree Richard has always portrayed as a evil murderer and yet he was a talented law maker in that turbulent period of time
Richard III invented
the system of bail.
legislated that the law of the land must be in the language of land.
standardized the system of weights and measures
abolished the system of benevolences.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
You know a show is good when you want the authors portrayal of the story to be accurate more than actual history. I love this show. Not for it "true story" but for the authors story. Cheers!!!