Author Topic: Advertisement.  (Read 3660 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Advertisement.
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:48:38 AM »
Adblock plus is just about the only weapon I have against massive amounts of commercials.

I've actually taken to watching NCIS online because the amount of ads is ridiculous, and I stopped listening to regular radio years ago.

From what I've heard, the reason there are so many ads is because advertisement does not pay particularly well. The thing I don't get is that it seems to be an advertisers market. Perhaps content should be valued more, but I have no clue as to how content creators would go about it. The S----- inserts are becoming more and more blatant, I believe the last one I saw took a full five minutes out of the story to espouse how great their bless'ed sandwiches are.

So really, I don't see any solutions aside from adblock, and just tuning out from network.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Advertisement.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:40:23 AM »
We dont seem to get as many ads in the uk as on american tv  :o
ad bloc is good

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:00:30 AM »
Isn't television in the UK partially subsidized by the TV tax? I remember watching several youtube videos where people sound like the farmer in hot fuzz, arguing with TV tax agents.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
the BBC is funded via a tv licence.
all other channels are commercial based,
not as aggressive as the usa though. adverts before then roughly half way through 30 min prog then after credits,

1st time i was in the usa  just as the prog started straight to advert then back to the start of program . :o

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 01:41:52 AM »
The CBS channels on Sky do that sometimes.  Five minutes into Star Trek, adverts. >:(

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 03:08:36 AM »
There used to be much stricter regulations on how many commercials each network could show in any given time slot, but then Reagan became president and they just gutted the regulations on television commercials so now we get whole half hour infomercials and the terrors of the Microcrisp Lady.  Brrrr...  I'm getting chills just thinking about her with her weird hairspray, heavy makeup and Lee Press-on Nails.  No vintage Microcrisp, but here she is with yet another shitty appliance.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
I don't notice ads, (although studies show that viewer that state this are the most heavily affected by advertising) but heaps of my friends have stopped watching traditional television because of too many ads.
It used to be that we had the least amount and the shortest commercial breaks in the world, but recently that changed so that we now have the most.  And the way I know this is that shows made for overseas programming don't fit into our schedules.  An half-hour program goes for 33 minutes, an hour show 65 minutes.  The actual shows are the standard 23min/48min lengths (if made for the US, longer if from the BBC) but it is our advertising that pads them out.
Used to be that stations needed to use community service announcements or music videos to pad out the hour due to our advertising laws locking the advertisement lengths and the time allowed for them per hour......

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
we get whole half hour infomercials and the terrors of the Microcrisp Lady. 

She's a star. She can be seen on TV channels from these latitudes too. She's scary. :D