Author Topic: My new build  (Read 17922 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Re: My new build
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »
There's the problem - you need a new hamster.

Ha!! Hush you!! ITS NOT A HAMSTER!!  My guy is six years old and will one day be the oldest living guinea pig in the world.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
Without telling the lady to buy a MAC, aawwwww geeeezzz, how do I fix this?
#1-If I use a multimeter do I test at the button or where?
#2-Should a fan be running when you just plug the power supply in or does the start button need to be activated to get the fan to run? <-- paperclip theory.
#3-Watch this:
Can I try this while everything is in the case? Clearly dont want to blow anything up.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:02:13 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2016, 02:32:13 PM »
That's a pretty brutal way of testing the PSU. It could short it out for good and I'm not entirely sure how much it actually tells you.

I got a PSU tester with my EVGA PSU. It's a piece of plastic you place over the end of the leads. It's basically the paper clip method for dummies. It does the same thing the paper clip does. If you use and it doesn't spin, you need a new PSU. It's a cheap 1st test.

I have started a PC from the motherboard. It's an easy way to see if your button is borked.

Most people don't know how to effectively use a multimeter. These methods work.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:38:13 PM by brickbatz »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2016, 02:54:56 PM »
While you discuss the paper clip issue  ::), I just did the test from the video I posted and shorted the prong and it started. So Im guessing the switch itself was the issue. Its amazing how little faith I have in myself.

OK. Got the button off and one of the connector wires has complete come off. Lets see what eBay has in store for me? DONE! 14.99 free shipping and 30 day warranty. I have impressed myself with me.

Thank you Cindy for believing in you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:30:07 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »
It's a cheap 1st test.

I agree, it's a good first test. As you know though, it isn't going to tell you about any other faults with a PSU.

OK. Got the button off and one of the connector wires has complete come off. Lets see what eBay has in store for me? DONE! 14.99 free shipping and 30 day warranty. I have impressed myself with me.

That's good news. Had the button been faulty but not obviously so, you could have circuit tested it with a torch bulb, battery and a couple of bits of wire.

I have an LED screwdriver that circuit tests and is a voltage detector.  I have it in my pocket as I would a pen.  I swear I use it 10 times a week for something or other.

This is it. Very useful tool I can tell you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190883021121?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 05:20:37 PM »
I reckon the switch can't be soldered?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 06:32:58 PM »
The paper clip way is a fine starting test to see if a PSU is dead or not but it's dumb to use bare wire.  I found a nice EVGA page showing the much safer "jumper" way, it's the same one brickbatz just posted up above.

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59582

As smokes points out though, the jumper really only lets you know "Dead" or "Not Dead".  It can't tell you if any of the power cables are bad or not.  A handy tool for your "IT Go-Bag

PSU Testers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=power+supply+tester&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Multimeters (again as smokes said) will give you even more detail.  The cost can vary greatly though based on the quality and features.  The "clamp" ones are nice as you can get a reading of a wire/cable without powering down the system, but yeah, those are the more expensive ones.

Multimeters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=multimeter&N=-1&isNodeId=1
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
If the PC is old I'd consider a new power supply too. They lose power over time.