Author Topic: iPhoto problem  (Read 4218 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
iPhoto problem
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »
iPhoto has suddenly begun to want to update my photo library in a way that will render the photos inaccessible to all my older devices.  Because of this irrational new desire on the part of the program, now all my photos are inaccessible because I cannot open the program without performing the update, which I will not do.  In short, I can't open iPhoto any longer.  So I'm screwed.

I've thus far downloaded an earlier version of the program and the computer won't let me install it because the evil newer version (probably came bundled with the OSX.9.5) won't let it.  It's like having a bad girlfriend move in and not let you see any of your friends or family.

I got an iPhone 6 recently and wonder if it's related to that.  It automatically opens iPhoto whenever I plug it in to charge or add apps.  That's annoying and I'd like to disable that, too, but given I cannot enter the program without ruining all my photos, I'm stumped.  I was hoping I could get into the Preferences folder to make some adjustments, but it won't let me.

Do any of you have any workarounds for this?  I'm scratching my head.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: iPhoto problem
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:24:55 AM »
Thanks, chris.  It will be nice to have more control over the phone.  It's weird to have the operating system for the devices essentially inaccessible except via iTunes (and that's limited).  I didn't know about Aperture, either, so I'll try both suggestions.

Someone at Apple Fora suggested I throw the current iPhoto in the trash and upload the older version.  I'm running 9.5 (I guess the version # is the same as the OS?) and it was fine until recently.  I suspect it had to do with interacting with the iPhone.  I had downloaded version 8 and it's resting on the desktop waiting to be installed, but the computer wouldn't let me unless I trashed the current version.  She suggested I put it in the trash but not empty it.  Is it true that it will upgrade to version 10 if I upgrade to Mavericks?  I ask as this is likely to happen again.

Apple used to have a great seamless interaction between programs.  Now this.  What happened?  I just want to be sure I don't render the library inaccessible to the older computer, and as it stands, iPhoto won't work on the newer one without gnarfing the library for the older one.  Wow.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
I've zeroed your postcount, christ, on the offchance that you might leave these answers intact.

If they are due to self-destruct, please advise in advance.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
They will, doubtless, self-destruct.

Then let's keep them.

For some of it, at least.

Open "image capture" (applications folder)

Plug in your phone.

Your phone will appear at the top of the left hand column. Down at the bottom of that column is a little arrow in a box: click on it. That will bring up a pop-up menu with "Connecting this Phone opens" written above it. Select either "Nothing" or "Image Capture", and you can either (a) plug the phone in to sync without starting anything, or (b) allow you to import photos using image capture.

There was a programme called Aperture that was a bit more complicated than iPhoto (but not very much so) that is no longer updated. If you were to install that, it is possible that it could open your library (I don't know for sure because I don't know which version of iPhoto library you now have, and if there is a version of Aperture that will open that specific version of iPhoto library).

If you managed to open your iPhoto library this way, then you can stop using iPhoto altogether and use Aperture in its place.

PS: you were a bit unlucky, as iPhoto is now no longer updated either, as it has been replaced by "Photos" on OS X 10.10.

To remove the annoyance (but not gain access your photos, unfortunately), you could open iPhoto with the option key held down, and when it asks you which library you want to open select "new". Thereafter iPhoto will open with a blank new library. You won't be able to use iPhoto to look at your library, but you will remove the annoying question every time you (accidentally) open iPhoto.

The whole thing is still seamless as long as your whole ecosystem is up-to-date.

As Apple's number of pieces grow (pods/ phones/ pads/ computers ...) they have got less and less tolerant of out-of-date stuff.

What I do is keep everything up-to-date, but I guess that isn't an option for everyone.

Keeping everything equally out-of-date is a good option, but that won't work if you buy something new.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:52:43 AM »
Thanks, xtopave!