Author Topic: W. Kamau Bell meets the KKK, attends cross burning.  (Read 2972 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
W. Kamau Bell meets the KKK, attends cross burning.
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:33:25 PM »
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/q-and-a/a44284/w-kamau-bell-the-klan-united-shades-of-america-interview/

They go over some of the strong points of the show, but drop quite a few from the episode.

I thought bourdain was a better fit on the travel channel, and I despise reality shows that pretend to be journalism, but some scenes in this show had me locked in my seat. Even knowing that Mr. Bell left each interview safely, you can definitely feel the tension in each scene. Particularly with the masked clansmen when Mr. Bell tells them that he is married to a white woman. Also, the distancing by the townies, one compares the town adgacent to a klan compound as a modern mayberry. When Mr. Bell interviewed a younger man, he admitted that the klan is still a part of the town, specifically that a member works at dairy queen.

I know the cnn website is absolute dog poo, but if you can catch the show, it's "United Shades of America". Which I think kicks the poo out of the working title, "Black Man, White America."

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
Re: W. Kamau Bell meets the KKK, attends cross burning.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »
 :o They must have paid him well to go there!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
It was his idea actually, there should be a link in that article to his editorial.

And yeah, he was visibly frightened in two of the encounters. Other times he would drop a joke that made me feel like he was far braver than I could ever be.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:48:29 AM »
He did make it out on the other side. He seemed well aware of the risk and the dangers involved. I doubt I would have done that for a job, but he did.