Author Topic: Instruments and other music related chat  (Read 6221 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Instruments and other music related chat
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 04:19:15 PM »
Here's a potentially stupid question:  is a double bass strung the same way as a single bass, with two identical fretboards?  And, if you are learning to play bass, wouldn't mastering a single fretboard be advisable before moving up to a more complex instrument?  Or have you been playing bass all along?

My husband is/was a luthier for many years and I could ask him this question (he's in the next room) but I really should do my homework.  It's a really boring class, so I'm on here.  I'm going to return to the work, now.

Don't be confused by idiots like me: the double bass is so named because of its range, not that its duality.

It is also called a "bass", by classical musicians. (... as opposed to guitarists)

I just want to pluck it to be honest (had to careful with the spelling there).

I'd like to get to the stage where I could accompany my daughter as she leaves me standing where the piano is concerned. She hasn't discovered the "funk" though and still thinks that BTS are musicians so I figured if I walk with her down a jazz path something might click.

TNG is a chip off the old block and has the funk in his bones.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 10:45:15 AM »
Guitars are fun, even if you only know four cords.  I play my two, not as often as I did a year ago.  And two years ago I played most.
I've three guitars to string and upkeep if we are counting my daughters Indiana Filly <3
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:47:41 AM by Beatrix »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 08:57:21 PM »
Still playing guitar, getting a little better, playing electric everyday.  Still in learning mode, not jam mode.   Learning jam mode.