Author Topic: Can't open ports for Dedicated game server  (Read 5071 times)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Can't open ports for Dedicated game server
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:07 AM »
I need to port forward these ports for an ARK: Survival Evolved Dedicated Server:

27015 UDP and TCP
27016 UDP and TCP
7777 UDP and TCP
7778 UDP and TCP

I port forwarded them in my ARRIS SBG6580 (ISP-Spectrum) and made Inbound and Outbound New Rules for those ports in my Windows 10 firewall. All port checkers show those ports as closed and no one can connect to my server (other than LAN).

I tried turning off the firewalls on both and still they're showing as closed. Is it possible the ISP is blocking them even though they're showing as forwarded on the ARRIS UI?

I get unlimited p2p bandwidth (several TBs).

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:13:58 AM by brickbatz »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Can't open ports for Dedicated game server
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
Have you tried running a glassnost diagnostic to see if you are being throttled?  I'm not sure if that would affect individual ports, but it might give you some idea of whether this is a potential source of the problem. http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:13:35 PM »
Thanks 6. A tech from my ISP tried to help me without any luck. He set up a Minecraft server for his son.

Online dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »
Not to downplay your skills but I'd double check the settings, making sure you're forwarding the ports to the proper internal IP.  Also, at least on my Buffalo router, I can add a port forward and save it but it doesn't take effect until I reboot the router.
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »
\o/ Success!

I bought the Port Forward Network Utilities for $39.95 (USD) and my server was up in under 5 minutes.

Online dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:12:23 PM »
Well?  What was the problem then?
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
I think you were right about the external IP. Now it is showing 0.0.0.0 not 69.xx.xx.xxx, but I tried that.:-\ They opened a couple ports the tutorials didn't mention, in their pre-settings for the game and I added a couple. My daughter joined me for a couple hours so yay. It's her favorite game and she bought it for me so we could play together. I guess her ISP doesn't allow servers. ???

I'd advise anyone having problems setting up a server to buy the Port Forward Network Utilities for $39.95. It really works.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:57:04 PM by brickbatz »

Online dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 11:21:33 PM »
I checked out the utility.  The interface reminds me of a dozen of "helper" utilities out there that I would touch with a ten foot pole but then I realized it was from portforward.com.  I've used that site a lot in the past when dealing with my routers and port forwarding for different apps.  I didn't download the app but based on your recommendation and my own experience with the site, I'll probably recommend it to others.

I used to help out in the demonoid IRC channel and would often direct users to the site so they could get their torrenting ports figured out.
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 02:11:05 AM »
I was skeptical but like you said that outfit has a good name. What finally sold me was the support and money back guarantee.

We want you to be happy. Our #1 goal is to forward your port and fix your problem.
We get so many people who are afraid that we are some kind of scam and we have to spend quite a bit of time trying to prove that we are really interested in the port forwarding business for the long run. We believe that our software products and guides are second to none, and we offer an amazing support team who works hard to figure out not only how to forward your port, but also why your port forward may not be working right.
Please understand that sometimes getting a port forward to work is hard. Everyone's network is different. With various cable modems, DSL modems, routers, access points, bridges, and consoles we really can have a hard time figuring out why your particular situation is not working. We have an extremely high success rate, but sometimes we have to scratch our heads a bit to get it done.
If you purchase PFConfig and your router is not supported, we will try our best to add support for your router. We add new support every day. We will gladly add support for 1 router per purchase for up to 1 year, and we will happily remote admin your computer and get your ports forwarded. Our support team is here to help you. You want your problem fixed; we want to fix it.
We offer a 100% guarantee on software which means that if PFConfig is not able to forward your ports, we will either make it work or remote administrate your computer and forward your ports for you personally. If we are not able to forward your ports for you, then we will refund 100% of the purchase price. We'd prefer to add support for your router so that you can forward ports without assistance in the future.
If you are unsatisfied with the support that you have received, please let us know and we'll do everything we can to make it better. It's best to contact us through our Support System so that we can track the conversation and make sure that we get your messages. The last thing we want is for a message from you to get spam filtered.