Author Topic: PSP-1000  (Read 4991 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
PSP-1000
« on: November 02, 2019, 09:29:56 PM »
I saw this at goodwill and had to grab it. They were nice enough to let me test the unit first, so I was able to verify the rockers were still good. That's something to always check if you're buying used gaming hardware, those rocker buttons can either be pristine, or the machine may have been run half to death, and you won't know if you don't check.

I had a PSP-1000 once, and traded it in at gamestop for a credit on the PSP-2000. I LOVED the PSP-2000, it was a fantastic system, and it's emulation capability and web browser probably saw more hours dropped into it than the official games ever saw. I think I had eight of them?

Sony was vehemently against such use, and would often block such functions with periodic software updates, often mandatory for playing later games on the system. For instance, the PSP 1000 I have is running system software 2.0, which is highly customizable. Later versions flat out block any modification.

When my 2000 died, I bought a 3000 refurb, and was displeased to find out that one came completely blocked. You can mod that one slightly, but you have to do the trick EVERY TIME YOU BOOT the thing. It's nuts.

I've also completely forgotten HOW I got my Emu on, the terms that stick out in my mind best, Amber-Bock and Shiny-Bock Sadly happen to be beers. I believe those titles were meant to be puns, but they've made searching a stone you know what.

Any further discussion of such things would probably hit the rule wall.

I'm nervous to play any games on the thing, as you can't really roll back to an earlier version if you "get it wrong". Flashing the bios on ANY device is always a hard call, but in this case, if I wanted to play Vice City Stories, I would be forced to install an update that I know removes functionality.

(The PS3 originally supported Linux use, this feature was ALSO removed via "update")

Hostile updates are cowpoo.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: PSP-1000
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 12:06:47 AM »
have a 1000 and 3000 which games are cheap to buy.
Movies are again cheap and plentuful although i occasionally rip and convert to put on a stick
great little machines and i would love to buy a vita as the graphics  were great

Offline PsPBuRnOuT

• Cro-Magnon
  • For My Joanne Always & Forever In Our Hearts xx
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »
When my 2000 died, I bought a 3000 refurb, and was displeased to find out that one came completely blocked. You can mod that one slightly, but you have to do the trick
[EVERY TIME YOU BOOT the thing It's nuts.]

Not any more can make it (Permanent), of cause if you know how
I have Two PsP White-1000 And Black-1004, with ~Custom Recovery~ :)

Free Games Here :D

For Mum R.I.P.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 11:28:21 PM »
Not any more can make it (Permanent), of cause if you know how
I have Two PsP White-1000 And Black-1004, with ~Custom Recovery~ :)

Free Games Here :D

have looked into this thing called "free games" but truthfully cannot be bothered.
After i HOPEFULLY receive my new pc in a usable condition ( HERMES is the sellers choice of transportation) then i may have a tinker or not.
Aim to dual boot with KDE as have fallen in love with their desktop, Keeping Windows for the Itunes side only.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:14:54 PM »
The PSP is capable of running homebrew, which includes emulation. I'll avoid discussing further "customization".

For PC, I am subscribed to a ton of "free game giveaway" subs on reddit. Epic gives away two a week, but you have to use the EGS client to get them, so it's a tradeoff.

Ubisoft occasionally gives away games, but they tend to make you jump through hoops to get it.

On STEAM, publishers occasionally give away games to keep.

I don't pirate games anymore, there isn't really much of a point. Just wait on them to hit a non-painful price point.

Offline PsPBuRnOuT

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
I don't pirate games anymore, there isn't really much of a point. Just wait on them to hit a non-painful price point.

lol

For Mum R.I.P.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
I mean, I still think the DMCA can go golly, and ripping UMD's to the Memory stick should have been a feature on the PSP.

Offline PsPBuRnOuT

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
I mean, I still think the DMCA can go golly, and ripping UMD's to the Memory stick should have been a feature on the PSP.

Totally, and allow for emulators to e.t.c.

For Mum R.I.P.