Author Topic: Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks  (Read 11293 times)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
Seems odd to me IT is moving to an OS that has less than 3 years of Microsoft support left.

Microsoft doesn't plan to stop fixing security problems in Windows 7 until extended support ends. That's January 14, 2020.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Seems odd to me IT is moving to an OS that has less than 3 years of Microsoft support left.

Problem is, Win 10 isn't really suitable for a public environment. The OS would need to be heavily tweaked, yet still remain legal.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »
Problem is, Win 10 isn't really suitable for a public environment. The OS would need to be heavily tweaked, yet still remain legal.

That's not really true. There's the Enterprise version, which has additional IT-based functionality and the LTSB edition which is less "feature rich" and only receives the security updates (not the new features updates).  Using one of these, it shouldn't be too difficult to roll out a "tweaked for your corp" base image.  Yes, it will take time and yes, odds are some hardware will have to be replaced, but it's cheaper than a lawsuit due to a data breach.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
so is windoze 10 better purchased or upgraded, I went from W7 to 10 on the free upgrade and regretted it as my pc was a little old and now suffers.
could be the pc not the OS but if i purchased a newer pc and W10 would it run a lot less laggy ?
I ultimately would run linux but wife daughter have their Itunes on pc and a few programs i cannot get on linux which i love or dual boot maybe.
Still need a new pc though

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 05:03:50 AM »
That's not really true. There's the Enterprise version, which has additional IT-based functionality and the LTSB edition which is less "feature rich" and only receives the security updates (not the new features updates).  Using one of these, it shouldn't be too difficult to roll out a "tweaked for your corp" base image.  Yes, it will take time and yes, odds are some hardware will have to be replaced, but it's cheaper than a lawsuit due to a data breach.

I imagine you're correct in regards to the Enterprise edition, LTSBs are available with or without Software Assurance, the SA would be ideal since it would also allow future upgrades to be deferred.

I always think the biggest hurdle for organizations such as my employer, is the general lack of knowledge with new OS's and how they can be maintained from the administrators chair. 3 or 4 IT guys maintaining 10,000 + PCs, a few hundred iMac's, 1000's of tablets, network servers, and networking in general, it's not difficult to understand that the easiest route is the most logical, and that's without even beginning to negotiate cost.

so is windoze 10 better purchased or upgraded, I went from W7 to 10 on the free upgrade and regretted it as my pc was a little old and now suffers.
could be the pc not the OS but if i purchased a newer pc and W10 would it run a lot less laggy ?
I ultimately would run linux but wife daughter have their Itunes on pc and a few programs i cannot get on linux which i love or dual boot maybe.
Still need a new pc though

I don't think I found much difference between the version I initially upgraded and the clean installs I performed much later. Win 10 is touted as performing faster than 7 but that comes down to user experience. Most issues seem to be hardware and drivers, although some software seems to run much better on previous Windows versions. Windows 10 compatibility troubleshooter is hit and miss at best, mostly miss.

A newer PC will give you a lot less grief. You need to buy one of my Macs  ;D

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »
My old lady's PC has a 16 year old CPU (i5-2500K) and Windows 10 starts in under 15 seconds.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 12:30:21 PM »
Newer hardware will of course perform better in general but I've found Windows 10 to be fairly robust in adjusting to different generations of hardware. At least, more so than the previous Windows OSes. There's also the new Windows 10 S version that will be coming out soon, if you can operate under the restrictions it has (only apps from the Windows Store can be installed).
--dweez

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
lol brick...you must have meant "6 years". the first i5's were released until 2009 and the i5 2500's in 2011, even Conroe didn't come out until 2006.

I would put money on most Win 10 upgrade failures or poor user experience is with the $300 laptop crowd.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
lol brick...you must have meant "6 years". the first i5's were released until 2009 and the i5 2500's in 2011, even Conroe didn't come out until 2006.

Ah... yeah 6 years.  ::)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 12:07:02 AM »
my pc must be around 2009 manufacturer with a AMD Athelon 250 installed.