Author Topic: Boost wifi signal  (Read 5128 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Boost wifi signal
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:33:44 PM »
What is the best way to boost my wifi signal ? I have low bars un the back of house.

I know I can google...but I want to know if it's fairly simple to do? Or is it complicated ?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Boost wifi signal
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:46:33 PM »
there are extenders, but they tend not to be worth the cost.

The best thing I've noticed is elevating the modem, but that has an element to wishful thinking syndrome.

the back of your house is probably made out of some signal blocking substance, or the modem has a flat out narrow range.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:46:13 AM »
I wasn't getting a good enough signal, from 30' away, to stream games from my PC to the TV via the Steam Link. My solution is not for all but I drilled 2 holes through my house walls, ran a long Ethernet cable from my modem out the first hole and in the hole by the TV, caulked around the holes and supported the cable in a few spots along the outside wall. Screw WiFi, I'm hard wired.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »
My TV has ethernet, but no wireless. At the time of manufacturing a wireless adapter was available... for $400.

My mom has a wifi TV with no ethernets. It was doing a great job of being a knockoff chromecast, so google pushed an update to the TV that blocked that. Now it can do youtube and youtube.

You can get around that by factory resetting the TV, but within 3 days, the update silently returns.

The actual chromecast, well they released a new version shortly after the return period on mine ran out. Actually, it was the day after. But I've watched a lot of shows on it, and $29.99 beats the poo out of $400.

I wouldn't be surprised if ethernet jacks turned out to be the next feature removal... sorry, "courageous design decision".

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »
There are a couple easy things you can do to adjust your wifi signal. First, try re-positioning the antenna to see if you can get better coverage in bad spot area(s). Try a new position then check your device after a few minutes.  Another easy way (but a bit more work) is to move the wifi router to a new location that provides better coverage to the area(s) you want.

A more drastic step would be to increase the power. This should be a setting in your router's Wireless advanced settings. Increased power would increase the range but also increases the heat which could have a detrimental effect on your router's lifespan. You should check your router's manual for specifics. My wireless power is currently at 20dBm and my router documentation says I could safely bump it to 70dBm if needed.

[USE INFO AT OWN RISK]
--dweez

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »
I have fios now... and when they installed the box into the wall near the outlet. Tha nks guys for the suggestions.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
At least you didn't buy a dell.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
Tin foil behind the modem where you dont want the signal to go ?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
Tin foil behind the modem where you dont want the signal to go ?

That might work to sculpt the signal but I don't think it will boost it any.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 01:07:04 AM »
That might work to sculpt the signal but I don't think it will boost it any.
damn, thats me done unless I can sell my effort on ebay ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »
I repositioned mine to the centre of the property. Now I get good wifi even at the end of my garden.

This said, I don't believe it's original placement was the issue by way of distance. It was installed below our TV, sat box, my turntables, mixing desk and amplifier, and some other electrical whatnots like our cordless phone and ethernet router. I didn't get a signal in the neighbouring room (like 12 feet away) so I think it was magnetic field interference.  But then, I'm a carpenter so what do I know.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 12:14:45 AM »
so I think it was magnetic field interference.  But then, I'm a carpenter so what do I know.

with more equipment than Richer sounds  ;D ;D
Agree with the placement though.