Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 2979 times)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Hurricane Irma
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
I was just had a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) tab open on my computer. I wanted to see if I could get some help with my roof and carport damage. I've been dreading the online registration since first looking at the storm damage. Online registration never seems to go right for me. FEMA knocked on my door while I was getting the info together. \o/ A nice young lady put my info into her tablet, gave me a registration number and said someone should be out to survey the damage within 10 days.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:31:19 PM »
Good luck with that, brick.  My inlaws apparently put in for insurance on St. Martin.  We still have not heard from them (last contact was via email on 9/4).  If a neighbor hadn't called to say they were ok, we'd be frantic.  I hope that the Caribbean gets quick repairs, but given so much has to be shipped in, I'm not holding out great hopes.

Is your roof leaking?  I really hope you can get things sorted before winter.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:23:48 PM »
thats nice their on the ball

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:46:26 AM »
Good luck with that, brick.  My inlaws apparently put in for insurance on St. Martin.  We still have not heard from them (last contact was via email on 9/4).  If a neighbor hadn't called to say they were ok, we'd be frantic.  I hope that the Caribbean gets quick repairs, but given so much has to be shipped in, I'm not holding out great hopes.

Is your roof leaking?  I really hope you can get things sorted before winter.

I wonder why they aren't communicating. I hope they are as well as the neighbors say.

My roof is leaking in a couple spots. I just hit 70 a couple days ago and I'm "legally blind". I can still see fairly well (video games are more of a challenge than they were) but back and knee problems limit what I can repair. A motorcycle wreck and 40+ years doing masonry work took their toll. I'm really hoping FEMA fixes me up.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 05:00:52 AM »
push them  and keep pushing.
if no luck social media the pants off them until you get what you need

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
Hey brick, I really hope you can get a quick response from FEMA.  I'm hoping hurricane season is winding down to a close as this one has been the worst in living memory.

The in laws are 84 and 90-- both quite frail--and the elder of the 2 is suffering bouts of dementia, so we are pretty concerned.   Social media won't work.  Apparently, flights into the island are to resume in November, so I suspect we'll have to go down there to check in on them.  The neighbor has invited us to stay with them, so we may just show up and see what we can do to help.  They're extremely jealous of their privacy and autonomy so have kept us all at arm's length their whole lives, even though we have a good relationship with them.  The lack of information coming from them is worrisome.