Author Topic: Previously on Battlestar Galactica  (Read 12025 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Previously on Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2019, 12:53:59 AM »
Kara is dead as hell.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2019, 03:10:12 AM »
So the Kara in Season 4 is some kind of cylon apparition meant to lead the humans away from earth?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »
The cylon plan was "use backdoor admin account to shut off the military". Plan worked, 50 billion killstreak.

Beyond that, how the golly would they have plotted this all out? They've been in the weeds since PEGASUS blew up one of their resurrection Hubs.

This Kara intends to lead Humanity to Earth, continuing the "Gods" cycle. Is she a savior or pied piper?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:36:04 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:24 PM »
I've only seen a couple ep.s of Season 4, but the odd reunion with pervy cylon man and her abusive dead mother prior to deciding to go get crushed like a bug wherever she was supposed to be going, chasing some cylon raider?   Cylon man (whose name eludes me) who was in the Tie me up tie me down section tells her he's there to help prepare her for her destiny or whatever.  It was vague enough that I was like, "say what?"

The Adamas tend to give her slack because of their abiding affection for her, but nobody else takes her seriously.  She's like the Cassandra of BSG.  She can only speak the truth and nobody believes her.

But if she's not Kara, who or what is she?  And who is unknown cylon #5?  Stay tuned.  To be honest, this series is a lot better than I thought it would be even if there are several episodes with a lot of padding and less than stellar writing.  It's basically interesting and I am looking forward to its eventual resolution if there is one.

Is there any significance to the fact that there are 12 colonies (derived from astrological signs) and 12 cylon models?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:24:07 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »
Probably, but they never referenced the colonies as to the models.  They never explain why there are 12 models, or why it's mostly a sausage fest where the women have to do most of the work, a lot of it very degrading. poo, I had to get the model numbers from the internet, and even that is iffy.

1) bottom priest 2)leoben Connoy -psycho douche- 3) D'anna 4/5) get juggled, wikipedia says rape doctor Simon is #4 right now, but my old list says 5. 5 or 4 is that absolute shitbag Mc temper Aaron doral. 6) is of course, six.

7) is tardy. 8 ) is boomer/sharon. 9) er, let's stop here for now.

The raider Starbuck followed to death was a white rabbit. Cylon raiders show up on DRADIS. The gods made Kara kill herself. They're just great people.

Kind of poo writing, but most people love Starbuck because the script says so. She's actually not that great a pilot, but she has plot armor. Lee is constantly told how much better Starbuck is, even though he flew the highest technical mission in the frickin series!

Back in S1, in the prison standoff, she's toted as the best sniper. I'm sure the Marines loved that.

In s2, she blew the hostage situation horribly and shot Lee. Arglebargle!

He did give her a great "are you bless'ed kidding me" look when she did it.

This show seriously squandered it's potential. It really was the best show on television, but I think RDM let that get to his head.

He wrote what is considered one of the finest TNG episodes ever, ended it on a TBC... and didn't have the Second half. I think that's why "the plan" and "they evolved" are never properly adressed. They thought they would pencil it in later, but never did.

He made my dad stand up from his chair, as if he were on the bridge of a starship. He paced a bit and said "holy poo" with his mind blown.

I had a few of those with BSG, but I tended to get tanked while watching it. Don't do a bsg drinking game. They're drinking green poweraid, and you will die.

Eh, even replacement Kara screams out "what am I" but doesn't really get an answer. I think Chief does a diagnostic on the viper and explains it's too perfect a forgery. It's brand new, and the original was decidedly not. Remember from the miniseries? They found it rusted out in a scrap yard and restored it for the decomissioning. It's older than Lee!

And Kara died in the original.

As to the final five, it's five people, not a missing individual. I think there was a tense scene about this, where spoiler says he's been the man he is this long, and that's the man he wants to be. Hell of a line. And they're in storage locker 1701-D, the registry number for Picard's enterprise.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:34:58 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2019, 01:53:44 PM »
There are only 4 cylons who hear weird radio music and end up in that locker.  They stand at the 4 corners of a square in that locker (thanks for the reference to StarTrek as I'd have never picked up on that--but, to clarify, are you suggesting that BSG is a spinoff from TNG?). The dark haired asst to the President (who throws Chief's wife into space--nice), Chief, one eyed Asst Capn, and the guy who was married to Kara, right?  So that leaves one unidentified cylon.  There are 7 id'ed models and then 4 more.  We're missing one, unless my math ain't right.  Can you help with this?

And what of the two hybrid babies.  Do they just get left hanging?  We have one running around in some imaginary Opera House (sadly void of singing) and the other one just seems to cry a lot.  So much for that plot line.

The bathtub chick said something about Kara leading everyone to their deaths in the last episode I watched.  That was also bizarre. I thought they were going for answers, but instead, they assume the control of this big ol' cylon ship (where did the cylons get the ships?  and how did this happen without humans noticing?)  Sharon radios back and says "Mission Accomplished"  Again, WTF?  I thought they were trying to find earth, not capture cylon ships complete with their crews. 

I'd have thought that constructing a large battle ready space ship capable of carrying many passengers is an industrial undertaking that would require a structure to house its production that a vigilant populace might notice?  No explanation for that, either.  Cylons rebelled and apparently became excellent producers of starships in record time.

Also, the Leoden (sp?) cylon who has the hots for Kara keeps saying he wants her to realize her "destiny"  If she's dead, that's going to take some doing, since her destiny would have already happened.  These scriptwriters need a house logician to keep them in line because so much of the writing makes little sense and the actions are incoherent.  The President is getting religion or all new age-y which makes me want to hurl.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:01:39 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »
I think the fifth one is currently dead, but you will see them soon.

RDM had a huge hand in TNG, and later trek series. I also believe he was the one who killed off Kirk.

Cylons had an armistace line for 40 years, and the robot ones don't need to breathe. You can build a lot of poo in 40 years if no one ever argues, even more.

I don't know if you've watched RAZOR, but this is not the first time someone has suggested that Kara is leading the colonials to their end.

I don't remember the name of cally's kid, but Tory foster just stole the poo out of him. Hera is fingerpainting? I think?

I believe the mission was self appointed, and Sharon is stealing her kid back.

Leoben is a creepy joker.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 08:11:37 PM »
Leoben is good at being creepy.  It must be his face or something.  There are some actors who make a career out of playing evil or menacing bad guys. 

So Kara is dead, doesn't realize it, and everybody else is suspicious, but she's out there trying to find earth anyway.

I have not seen Razor.  I assume this is some kind of movie adjunct to the series?  Does it fit in chronologically after the series, during, or before?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2019, 10:09:34 AM »
Somewhere in Season 2. Cain is still alive. Plus you get to see the beginning of what the Cylons were up to during the armistice.

When looking up stuff the other day, I came across a baltar comic. the caption was
"Wants to prevent state demanded abortion. Cures Cancer." in another it's just him ruminating "So if it's all in my head, I just jacked off in the CIC... Frak."

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »
I'll probably look up Razor when I'm done.  I have about 5 more episodes to go.

Nice to see the VP and the guy with one leg (I'm atrocious at remembering their names) get the well deserved firing squad.  Shooting the entire government was a bit of a stretch, but for outrage, it worked well.

Starbuck's husband's bullet to the head thing was entertaining as he seemed transformed into another bathtub girl until his surgery.  Will he pull through and finish the communication?  Stay tuned.

ps.  For a dead girl, Kara sure is lively.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:54:56 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »
They're not the entire government? Like the entire government used to meet on Cloud 9, but that's not an option anymore, so they're down to just the 12 delegate reps, one per colony. Gaeta, god damn did they make us hate him fairly quickly. He was so close to being the friggin Data of the show. Read screen, spew tech data, go forward. Any time he went out of that box, he found nothing but pain. And this Dipshit had delusions of command? Zarek thought he had finally won, and when he didn't, he went back to what he'd always done, TERRORISM. Some people you just can't reach.

The brain surgeon is played by John Hodgeman. He was super happy to get that role.

Yeah, Kara is still around, and that's not necessarily a good thing. You don't really NEED to watch Razor, but it answers some of your questions better than I can. Like I said, I've never watched "The Plan", but it's post series.

I was going to say the only person happy right now is Baltar, but HOLY poo did I remember that wrong, he's basically getting the biblical treatment for daring to set himself up like L.Ron.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »
Re:  Kara being around.  When Leoben sees her yank her dog tags from her corpse on earth and hears her relate the "you'll lead your people to death" remarks of bathtub girl, even he gets the willies.  Like that's a bit much even for a creep like that.

So, lord only knows what she is or why she's there.  Maybe she took up with Cthulhu while she was MIA and will feast on the souls of dying humans at the end of the series.  I have no clue.

I agree with you about Gaeta.  How he went from crack navigator to Hitler wannabe in 2 short episodes is god's own mystery.  But he sure did get nasty fast.  Good job of acting though, as he really did seem to lose any moral compass really quickly.  The nasty exchange with Kara was also kind of odd.  It seemed to have come out of nowhere.

I guess we're supposed to not hate Baltar so much after his latest self examination.  I'd not hesitate to toss him in the Gulf of Mexico with some concrete overshoes.  He's a bore.  I don't particularly blame the actor, who has a respectable body of work outside of this show, but maybe it's the writers' conception of his character that makes me want to pummel him to a jelly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:08:57 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 10:41:42 PM »
eh, Gaeta's lament is a longterm thing, he got up to some nasty poo on New Caprica, like Baltar is a saint in comparison. And Gaeta didn't even know he was complicit until later. There are two webseries I didn't push on you, because I've got no way of linking to them. Also a song! Gaeta's lament.

The first is during New Caprica, and shows you who the human resistance was, why they were doing what they were doing, and why duck and jammer ended up on opposite sides, despite being best friends.

Duck blew himself up at the gestapo induction ceremony, jammer got airlocked for being a shitheel.

Second webseries was a raptor that loses engine power. Gaeta's hanging with a bunch of people and an eight. Turns out they dated on new caprica. Turned out he gave her names of people to smuggle out of confinement. Turns out she executed them personally. Turns out she's doing the same thing on the raptor, so he kills her. This was one of the most bent things galactica did, and I'm still sad it was relegated to the internet to fade into nothing. Tears in the wind. But it was a nasty little piece.

Back on the big G. They hit nuked out earth. That was NYC by the way, Nuked Out New York. Dee sees. Dee comes home. Dee has dinner with the Ex-Husband. Dee has a second date with a service pistol. Gaeta is RIGHT THERE. Funny thing, SciFi Channel had a commercial for campbells soup RIGHT AFTER the shot, where red soup is flying through the air. poo was nuts.

Gaeta is assigned to Adama's daughter cowpoo mission. Anders blows his damn' leg off. Anders is married to Starbuck.

Additionally, he was Baltar's Billy/ Tory Foster. He was there for everything but the very heavy death orders, where we don't know if he signed it. Even Baltar says he signed it, but well...

I also think there was an unrequited thing between Gaeta and Baltar. So Gaeta tries to neck stab Baltar, and is relentlessly mocked IN COURT by baltar. That kinda came back to bite Gaius in the ass...

Seriously, as to the female cast, I think it's Roslin and Ellen Tigh who Baltar didn't frak. And thinking about New Caprica, Roslin wouldn't touch him, but Ellen?

You'd be wrong about Baltar, btw. He's about the most bent over person on the series, not that he doesn't deserve it most of the time. Dunno if you'd agree. Even James Callis thought he deserved to die. But of EVERYONE IN THE CAST, including Very Speshul Starbuck, Baltar got the most attention from the angels/demons.

Funny enough, my best friend's dad agreed with you. HATED baltar from the miniseries.

Baltar never really examines himself. He at one point says that guilt is something lesser people feel when they've run out of excuses for what they've done. Which makes him far more honest than most of the cast.

Dang, you got me typing quite a bit here. What's next? Supernatural? Deep Space Nine? I'd say Voyager, but that would probably be painful for both of us.

I mean from what I've seen you post, you prefer drama, but that was the section I always skipped in blockbuster. Action and Horror for me, mostly.

Plus, watching DS9 after BSG is... really weird. You see tonal notes executed in, I would say a brighter way? Like an opera with smilies? RDM wrote Worf like CRAZY tho...

last thing, nothing to do with BSG, but the NBC breaking news when McCain died, they cut back to America's got talent, where some shirtless fatguy was making his gut do armpit farts, reminded me of the suicide/soup convergence of BSG.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:47:55 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »
I finished the series this morning.  It was entertaining, and the ending was appropriate.  Neatly tied up in a bow.  So was Starbuck an angel?  She accomplishes mission, says goodbye and vanishes.  No girls for you Adama boys.  Suck it up.  Go fishing.  Probably less stressful, anyway.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2019, 01:38:18 PM »
I like how Baltar found his own personal hell. And hate how absolutely everyone was pants shittingly retarded. Lampkin is right, they're walking hand in hand into extinction, to borrow a line from Rust Cohle. Kara certainly got a raw deal, but she was on a path to self destruction anyway. Maybe if she hadn't had that bent up destiny she would have been a better person. Then again, maybe she would have been back on the colonies when the bombs dropped, Galactica was a ship for burnouts and screw ups.

I do like how Roslin bent her own salvation up. Baltar cured her cancer, but the truth was the cancer defined her. When she went back to screwing with Hera, she got it back. I don't know if that was another part of the guiding hand striking back at her to make her walk the path laid out for her, or just how they wrote it.

I also like how they say golly it, this unnamed Planet is Earth now, even though we found bombed out super disappointing Earth.

There's a lot of good stuff in the ending, but I remember at the time it was deeply unsatisfying, kind of like how you've described most of the series. Even die-hard fans disliked it.

I knew it would never happen, but I thought it would have been fantastic if they'd been intercepted by the space ships from stargate, and be told Earth has a no vacancy sign up, and is already occupied.

Olmos wanted them to come to modern day earth in peace, and have Bush golly it up and fire nukes at the ships, triggering another turn in the cycle.

Another not very smart series I might recommend is Burn Notice, but I've never finished that.

guest stars include Tricia Helfer and Lucy Lawless, but they're not cylons. OR ARE THEY?
Michael Shanks, who played the calm collected Doctor Jackson on Stargate SG-1 plays a particularly fun unhinged Guest character, and Frasiers Dad shows up. (He is not Frasier's dad in this one. OR IS HE?)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:48:26 PM by 8ullfrog »