Author Topic: Cheese.  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
Re: Cheese.
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 01:28:58 PM »
Well, I didn't make it to The Cheese Shop. lol I'll try again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:58:50 AM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
Funny you mention not giving a golly, about 3 years after THAT, I was in town getting the grandparents home ready for sale, stopped in for chips, and a manager very angrily told me I needed to cover a shift (The same reason I quit).

I looked her in the eye and asked "When was the last time I was on the schedule?" el-stare-o-blank-o. It's like a nightmarish hellscape, working in a supermarket.

I still don't get why we went through such extensive training when our actual bosses gave so few naffs.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 01:01:59 AM »
Found a decent Red Leicester cheese that doesnt taste like commercial rubber, so a rare find for me
https://www.joseph-heler.co.uk/  may order a basket off line

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 01:18:12 AM »
Did you ever have Stinking Bishop?  They had a cheese plate at the National Gallery and that was on the list of cheeses there.  We found it funny but not funny enough to order.  I think we went with strawberries instead. 

I got some more Madrigal (swiss) and some Cotswolds Double Gloucester at Trader Joe's today.  The Madrigal was a pale ghost of cheese compared with the P'tit Basque, but it's a great deal cheaper and made with cow's milk.  I don't know what it is about sheep milk, but it makes such delicious cheese.  We like to grate pecorino romano on our pasta & prefer it to parmesan.  Also, feta can be magical.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 11:41:55 PM »
Did you ever have Stinking Bishop?  They had a cheese plate at the National Gallery and that was on the list of cheeses there.  We found it funny but not funny enough to order.  I think we went with strawberries instead. 
Have tried, was ok

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »
Huh, just learned about Provel from a pizza snob article about St. Louis pizza being poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
Never heard of it either. I try to stay away from processed cheeses. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
heh, the review I was reading says that it's virtually nonexistent outside of St. Louis.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »
heh, the review I was reading says that it's virtually nonexistent outside of St. Louis.

Thank God for that.  I've been to St. Louis a few times.  It has some lovely museums and nice neighborhoods with some local restaurants that aren't bad.  It's not a place I normally associate with good pizza.  If your main concern in eating pizza is a clean bite, then you deserve whatever cheese the proprietor thinks will satisfy that.  Good food is messy.