Author Topic: French Toast  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
French Toast
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »
Just made some french toast. Haven't had french toast in years. I am in Heaven.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: French Toast
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:01:46 AM »
It's lovely.  I also like pancakes.  I almost never have either one.  There's a diner near us that makes ricotta pancakes with real maple syrup.  I order a short stack:  2 pancakes, and that's plenty.

I used to make oven baked french toast;
1/4 c butter, 2 T honey, 1@ tsp cinnamon, 3 eggs, 1/2 c orange juice, 1/8 tsp salt, 6 slices of whole wheat bread.  Preheat oven to 400 F
Melt butter, honey & spices in large rectangular baking dish.  Soak bread in mixture of eggs, juice and salt, well beaten, and soak until just moist.
Lay the slices on top of the butter/honey mixture in the dish.  If there's some left over, drizzle it over the bread but don't go overboard as you want the toast moist but not totally soggy.
Bake for 20 minutes.  I haven't had this in years and had to go dig through the recipe box for it.  It works well with Orowheat/Arnold Health Nut Bread.  Delicious.  Nice if you have people over for brunch as it's not very labor intensive.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:53:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what it was, but, I could never eat a bunch of pancakes. Even when I was a big huge eater. I could eat 14 tacos, or, a whole pizza, etc..., however, put a big stack of pancakes in front of me and after I eat a third of it I'm done & scratching my head.?
That's an interesting baked french toast recipe. I probably won't have french toast again for several years.

*Got a carton of eggs that expire tomorrow so trying to get creative. I wonder how obedient I should be with the expiration date.?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:22:04 AM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:45 AM »
I thought egg expiration dates were more like suggestions. I've always gone by the float rule.

If french toast seems daunting for whatever reason, there's always pancakes.

Sounds like you're susceptible to carb coma. I get that sometimes with pancakes.

I'm still heartbroken about my devilled's. Maybe I should try again? Use different mustard or something.

Have also read older eggs are easier to shell when boiled, but honestly couldn't tell you if that's true or a wives tale.

Had to stop mom putting olive oil in her ear today, so gross.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:58:06 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 02:17:18 AM »
why would someone put olive oil in their ear?

is it itchy?  hydrogen peroxide is better.  olive oil can be weird.  I looked it up.  I don't think I'd use it. some people do.  I'd rather eat french toast. https://www.healthline.com/health/olive-oil-in-ear#effectiveness

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 02:49:05 AM »
LMAO!

On another note, I think there is only so much you can do to a salmon patty. Which is something else I hadn't had in years. Buddy from work told me about a recipe his wife uses. Ok, tried it. Yeah, it's ok. I mean, I like salmon patties, but, I just think they will never be anything I will go nut poo crazy for. Well, unless maybe if you doctor it up so much that it is no longer a reasonable salmon patty.  Like people who pile a poo ton of stuff on their salad to the point it is no longer a God damned salad.