Author Topic: Cheese.  (Read 9831 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Cheese.
« on: May 25, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
I found the name! I've been obsessing over this black and green label cheese, and I haven't a Kroger anywhere near here, but the brand is CABOT cheese.

(Mom brought home a Mexican shredded cheese blend, I saw the name on the bag, and was like "YES! THIS IS THE CHEESE!")

So Schmoogs, the White Cheddar you are on the hunt for is CABOT. It's a black label with like, a green border on it. The CABOT logo is red.

I did a google search, and they've got like, a sharpness rainbow. Cabot is definitely the brand you're looking for. The only level missing is "This cheddar is so sharp, it will stab you in the spleen and leave the grocery store with your wallet"

So, I'm a big fan of cheese. Mild, Sharp, experimental, I'll try em all once. Brie sucks though. Sorry, objective truth. I once made the mistake of buying a Feta at the 99 cent store. Wasn't even cheese, just soy with a bunch of crap added to it. I did not care for that deception.

I did not know that Muenster is an American cheese, and I can never find the sharp variant, The mild has become too mild, almost a provolone situation.

My mom does this stupid thing her whole family does, when they buy Mozzarella, they yell "MOTZ-A-RELL" in a stereotypical Italian accent. We're Irish.

I think I prefer my cheese to be melted, rather than just eating it fresh, but there are plenty of cheeses that taste great on their own!

So that's me, just dropping cheese thoughts, without any rhyme or reason. My English teacher would be livid!

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
Re: Cheese.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
LMAO! YES! That's the brick I got from Sam's Club I was going on about. I forgot the name because after I first open stuff, I put them in a ziplock baggie and throw away the package. Good stuff no doubt. Next time I go to Sam's Club however, I will probably be getting a bucket of that Amish Blue Cheese. I switch back and forth between Blue and Cheddar. Nice thing about blue cheese, it's really strong, so, 'a little dab'll do ya'. Lasts longer. I haven't opened the stuff I got from Trader Joe's yet.  ;D  Prolly be doing that this evening.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
Ok, so, one of the cheeses I got from TJ's is a cheddar cheese w/caramelized onions. Not my 'cup-a-tea', generally, but, this stuff is pretty good, to my surprise. I think it's imported from England.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
cheddar and onion as a snack is delicious, but I'm wary of all "fusion" products, like when food companies were trying to force "bacon" flavor into everything, and it just ruined perfectly good food. They're still selling bacon ritz, my mom keeps buying them by accident.

One exception is when they add bourbon flavor to bbq sauce, that pairing works amazingly well.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »
Well, you won't get an argument from me on that.

I'm watching Ben-Hur (1959). lol  Why? IDK. Someone said they had a good remux of it, so, I figured this movie is a good one to have. WTH. They are right, it looks very good. Glad to have it.

Cheese thread is a good idea. I should have thought of it. Glad you two enjoy cheese like me. I always wished I was a wine connoisseur, however, wine has always disgusted me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:29:35 PM by Schmoogsley »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »
Same. Never met a wine I liked. Funny enough, it's commonly paired with Brie at fancy shindigs.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 10:28:24 PM »
Well, around here, it was always brats & keggers. lol Reminds me of when Roseanne said the first party she went to in Hollywood, she asked; "Where's the keg?". They looked at her and said; "Ewwwww, a rodent". lol

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 02:14:38 AM »
I went to Whole Foods today and bought a French sheep milk cheese Ptit Basque.  It's the bomb.  It's like a walnut married to a cheese.  Such a great flavor.  Pricey but amazing.  A small wedge was $7.  I had some tonight with red wine.

I'm still tired from school but watching Barry and Fleabag  Both season 2.  It's supposed to rain again tomorrow, but I think it's already started. 

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 03:01:17 AM »
Well, I had some more of the onion cheese. Boy, this stuff is really growing on me. Pretty damn good cheese. I can't deny. My hat's off to Jolly Old England.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 12:34:38 AM »
Cheese   Food of the Gods

only ever seen Cabot cheese in Vermont.  I could live off cheese and good bread

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 12:39:21 AM »
I took a Soviet train (The Pushkin) from Budapest through Yugoslavia (when it was still that country) to Greece in the 1980's.  The journey took 2 days.  I left Budapest with a loaf of bread, cheese, water and some fruit.  They didn't require refrigeration and it was enough to subsist on until I reached my destination.  The cheese was fine at room temp and it kept me going.

I remember reading the novel, Heidi, as a child and she and her grandfather lived on bowls of fresh milk and dark bread.  It's about the same.  Grain and dairy.  Some of the best things in life are the simplest.   
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:41:59 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 12:44:31 AM »
cheese needs to breath  :D  too many to list  that I like. I try to visit a local farmers market to buy

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
I have no doubt that grilled cheese sammy kicks ass. However, the time and effort required is beyond my interest. I will remember this though if I ever want to impress some company.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
eh, a lot of his effort is in the bread part.

I mean, I wouldn't use expensive cheese for grilled cheese either, defeats the exercise. That being said, it's what he does. He's nowhere near as nuts as knife making guy.