Author Topic: Edge of Tomorrow (SPOILERS)  (Read 3219 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Edge of Tomorrow (SPOILERS)
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
I liked the movie, but also didn't.

It's got the usual too much CGI poo going on in the background typical to a Cruise film, but it's got some interesting mind benders.

For instance, The General was smart enough to outsmart the time travelers so they wouldn't shoot him, but was too stupid to handle the alien invasion.
He's also the catalyst. If Tom Cruise hadn't tried to blackmail the dumbass, everyone would have died.

Emily blunt had a throwaway line about Tom Cruise being queasy flying, but the version of her that knew that died horribly, and she didn't have the reset power.

Tom cruise absorbs a shitload of Alien blood, enough to kick him back to the start of the film. He is now a battle hardened soldier, who everyone thinks is a PR lackey. They end the movie with a stupid grin as he meets an Emily Blunt he's never met before. So, he comes off as a douche.

Since he absorbed ALL of the alien time travel blood, is he now an immortal resetting time traveler? Like does he keep a pistol in his jacket for social faux pas? If he has a bad interview with Wolf Blitzer, does he dome himself?

And what was with the weird mix of "It's happening in the future, 2020 to be exact, but a majority of the film acts like it's still 2014, and Wolf Blitzer's stupid ass is still around" ?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Edge of Tomorrow (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 12:35:11 AM »
just a remake of another remake.
was fun .

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:16:43 PM »
He dies. The entire span of the film is 2 days.

Hell, the first time he dies, his skull is ripped open and he melts to death.

As to remake, it wasn't? It was some book that Viz media bought, then it went through development hell. Like many cruise movies, they wanted Brad Pitt, but settled for Tom Cruise.

Brad Pitt is good at "funny dying". I think the movie could have been warmer with him in the role.

A thing that helped my mom deal with it was explaining it wasn't so much time travel as a time loop. Getting more alien blood on him at the end extended the loop to the start of the film.

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »
Oh yeah, I saw this film, I thought it was pretty good.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 04:02:54 PM »
I didn't like the pre-destined "You're going to get a blood transfusion and lose the power" poo.

Bad movies do this all the time. "You will have incredible power, but when everything is on the line, it will be taken away, just to let the audience know we're not bless'ed around anymore!"

I do think it's funny that they did all the setup for that in the first Iron Man movie, but the effects shot wasn't possible, so they had to redo the ending.

Specifically, Not Don Cheadle Rhoadie was supposed to ram Stane into that weird Hydrogen bus from the freeway fight, causing a massive explosion.

Instead, we got the actual ending, which was better.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:43 AM »
The Alien blood sends back memories. They explicitly state this. It's why the blood transfusion is a constant threat.

It's also implied that Emily Blunt had it way worse than Tom Cruise. There is a point where the two of them get stuck, and any choice made leads to her dying.

She tells Tom Cruise to get over it and keep moving, because she saw someone she was close to die in the same moment 300 times.

This is generally how writers cheat around the paradox. You don't send the whole person back, just the memories.

I imagine if Data hadn't whiz kid solved the problem in Cause and Effect, the universe would have eventually blown up. That being said, Time progressed outside of the collision, 4 months passed before Fraiser could ask for their insurance information.

whoa, just had a post movie moment. I thought the training portion of the film, where Emily Blunt kept killing Tom Cruise on the "Shooting range" was a waste of time and endangered them having the aliens come up with a new plan (They did) It is instead, Emily Blunt trying to make Tom Cruise self sufficient at the point she eventually gets stuck in an "always dies" situation. She needs him to keep going past that point.

(Up until that point, he had just been save scumming, memorizing enemy movements. He wasn't actually fighting the aliens properly.)

That being said, if the alien blood wasn't a completely magical McGuffin, yeah, he'd probably be ready for the old folks home. They never establish how long Tom Cruise is in the loop, but he memorizes some pretty inane poo.

Plus, Tom Cruise doesn't believe in psychiatry.  Either PTSD or neural elasticity loss would be likely as the ole memory bank filled up. Then again, maybe it just overwrites the prior saves?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:03:48 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 03:01:42 AM »
I think he's a Thetan level VII, right?

So those aliens, regardless of their greek letters, never had a chance.  I preferred him in The Vampire L'Estat.  He seemed to relish being a bad guy in that film. 

When he's in movies like this, he has one speed.  It was an amusing premise.  Of course there's one pretty girl in the movie and at the turning point of the plot they kiss.  They kill the alien mastermind center, inexplicably located in some oceanic submarine space under I.M. Pei's Louvre Pyramid.  Somebody ought to get out a map of the Seine and explain the geography of Paris in a little more detail to the writers.

I could use some of that alien blood. There's so many events that I'd like a do-over for, and besides, it allows for unlimited corrections.  The comparisons with GroundHog Day are apt.  aliens that are like octopi, but metallic when it suits them, at other times, slimy and fishlike.  Hoo boy.

I expect that one could make a killing in the stock market with such powers.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:03:30 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
I did like that the first time he tried to Tom Cruise a situation he got ran over by the truck.

I like movies where he yells. He yelled a lot in interview, and he pretty much ONLY yelled in Tropic Thunder. That's what finally got me to watch EOT, someone had posted the flaming dragon scene somewhere.

You would have to be careful if you had that power though, for some reason people will inexplicably try to give you blood transfusions, just to take the power away.

Or maybe he's immune to transfusions now?

At least we don't have to worry about lestat getting that power, vampires pretty much run on (involuntary) blood transfusions.

At least Phil didn't have to die to loop, but he was stuck with eternal Sonny and Cher.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 01:31:40 AM »
It's more like it gets beamed to the router then transmitted through techno-cowpoo. That's what the thing under the Louvre was

The blue lion monster squids have the time blood, but apparently so does the alien router.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
Well, if the alien router got destroyed, then so did Tom's powers...but wait, it got destroyed in the future that never happened...but wait, the future act caused the alien defeat in the past...but wait...oh yeah, it's just a movie. I tend to suspend disbelief in movies like this, especially when Tom Cruise is in it.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »
They... may have explained that in the briefing scene, but I was irrationally angry at the scene.

It's like prophecy, by telling him about the alien router, he can't help but picture the alien router. This actually ends up being the bad guy plan, the aliens send him to Germany for shits and giggles.

I think by killing the router in the future, they made it rage quit in the past. Which amuses me. Like they had this whole devious "let them think they are winning with the Full Metal madam, then kill them all on the beach"

And the plan did work until dumbass Tom Cruise showed up.

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference... in the world."

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 09:20:01 PM »
We just finished rewatching "The Wrong Mans."  It's pretty funny, and absolute proof that your assertion is true.   A far cry from science fiction where the only real aliens are Russians who are up to no good.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
Sorry, I'm not that deep. It's a line from the opening of Half-Life 2.

Specifically, you are dropped into HL2 by your employer to break things.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
Sorry, I'm not that deep. It's a line from the opening of Half-Life 2.

Specifically, you are dropped into HL2 by your employer to break things.

Oh, and break things you do!
--dweez