Author Topic: Windows 10 1903.  (Read 3125 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Windows 10 1903.
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:36:10 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of people having problems with this out there in computerland, so I thought I'd share what I've learned here.

I think my search index got borked, I don't even use that.

It's currently using 25% of my CPU, I hope it finishes soon, but from searching one guy said book a hotel vacation, and it will be done when you get back.

I don't use narrator, but I'm not going to emulate my own OS through EDGE.

update - Narrator is off by default.

Okay, so I killed two services,

Stopped Connected Devices Platform Service
Stopped Connected Devices Platform User Service_251eb4
and my machine stopped emulating a space heater.

That's in services.msc for people who don't know how to find them. PLEASE BE CAREFUL if you mess around in services.msc

I tried unplugging my 4 port USB hub first, thinking something got borked, but that did absolutely nothing.

As to devices connected to my computer there's the HDMI display, USB keyb, USB Mouse, USB wireless adapter, and the aforementioned 4 port USB hub.

I'd never heard of these services before today, but apparently other people have had trouble with them.

CPU usage is now sitting around 3%, top user being task manager.

USB hub is working just fine, I have NO clue why those services were such turds.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Windows 10 1903.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:50:46 PM »
That sounds really frustrating.  I'm sorry that I know next to nothing about the issues you are grappling with & can be of no real help.   I hope it gets sorted soon.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Windows 10 1903.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 01:00:24 AM »
It does make me thankful for my education. I remember CTRL ALT DEL being critical for dealing with Windows ME.

Task manager makes for a semi-decent lifeguard.

Those two services were not able to be killed by task manager though. If you try, it threatens to shut down windows in retaliation.

Loading up services, and knowing the name of the processes let me kill it in seconds. That pisses me off on behalf of others. Yeah, I was able to kill it in seconds, but what about the people who have never heard of task manager, who don't have the slightest flippin' clue about what a windows service even IS?

I've decided next time roommate wants me to fix his poo, I'm charging. This isn't punching in the wifi password, this is one of those "It took me ten minutes to fix that, it took me five years to learn HOW to fix that" situations.

That being said, I do wonder how the golly he manages to blank the password, that's not something I can do without meaning to do so. You have to go into the properties and nuke it. I don't entirely think Roomie knows how to right click.

One funny thing, last time he called me in his room to fix it, I asked where he kept the cue card the password is written on. He said under the keyboard. I flipped that nasty thing over, and there was an electric bill. On that bill was written "Not this time "Firstname"!

What the golly was he trying to catch me doing? Clearly he has a more devious mind than I do. So I looked at him, and he just acted like it wasn't there. So I guessed the wifi password from memory (I've probably got it memorized at this point, it's shorter than a phone number) and got him back online.

I MIGHT consider emptying an entire can of Ozium in his room like a bug bomb. But that's not something an envelope would stop.

ALSO HE KEEPS ENABLING ONENOTE - WHAT THE FRAK?