Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 333897 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1275 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:46 AM »
Elementary is back, and I fear that it is in danger of disappearing up its own fundament.
??? ???

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1276 on: July 09, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
Elementary is back, and I fear that it is in danger of disappearing up its own fundament.

Too many shows disappear that way. Admittedly, that's sometimes a good thing.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1277 on: July 09, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
I've never seen it, but given the track record of most American remakes of British shows, I've been leery of that.  Not a big fan of Lucy Liu, either. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1278 on: July 10, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
I misspoke.  You are right, in that it isn't a remake, but it draws inspiration from the current BBC Sherlock series (which is quite good, by contrast).  Most American major network tv (ABC, CBS, NBC) programs are not very good.  I can't explain why.

If I remember correctly, I watched about 10 minutes of this program (Elementary) and changed the channel.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:34:23 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #1279 on: July 10, 2018, 05:22:10 PM »
watched 6 eps. French TV series called the forest.  decent show. which probably inspired me to buy a new handbag.

I love elementary but unfortunately didnt not tune in this season.

also haven't finished watching the black ? south koren series about a grim reaper that takes over a humans body to find another grim reaper.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1280 on: July 10, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »
I was watching Engrenages (Spiral), a French detective series, and really liked it, and need to get back to the third season.    Also, The Tunnel, second series, haven't seen but the first was really good.

I haven't seen any south Korean tv, but am a fan of some K-Pop videos, so I'm open to trying some of their programs.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #1281 on: July 10, 2018, 09:19:12 PM »
you might like the black and live ! both are police shows. I also watched couple of south korean movies, I would have to look on Netflix though cant remember their name.

I also started another French TV show ... called the break .. not sure if I like it yet.

tunnel sounds familiar   I have to se eif Netflix has it.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #1282 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
the only thing under tunnel that came up was another south koren movie I watched about a guy that gets trapped in a tunnell

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1283 on: July 10, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
Apparently she had to be pulled off Bill Murray because he said she was pretty but couldn't act. Apparently he put it fairly brutally, but he almost got stomped.

I honestly don't know if she can act. She was good in Kill Bill, but it was a limited role. The banter between her and Thurman was fantastic, but that's what Tarantino gets paid for.

Police procedurals were all pre-written in the 70's, like those Chuck Lorre shitshows.

I liked the levity Michael Weatherly brought to NCIS, but him leaving was a stake in the show. Even Mark Harmon's "father figure" nature was revealed to be cowpoo when Pauley Perrette quit.

I never got that part. Gibbs goes on and on about being a scallywag, but he's supposed to be a father figure for all his agents who are amazingly broken considering their positions.

Also, he's a murder who got away with it from help from WOLFRAM AND damn' HART. Which means Gibbs is canonically evil. I don't think they represent anyone with a soul per ATS (Angel the series)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1284 on: July 11, 2018, 03:03:50 AM »
Haven't seen it.  I think it's on CBS, which generally makes me run the other way. 

8ully, were you talking about Lucy Liu?  She was in the remake of Charlie's Angels, another hard hitting detective drama. 

I'm watching 12 Monkeys, just finished Season 1 and there's all kinds of problems with the space time continuum that common sense and logic would reason away, but this is not a show about logic or common sense.  There's about 3 people over 30 and lots of heavy handed music.  I tend to mute it when it gets too intense.  I get it.  The future is grim.   OK.  There are a couple more seasons and I'm debating whether it's worth sitting through.  The Bruce Willis movie was fine and only took 2 hours to resolve.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1285 on: July 14, 2018, 03:10:50 AM »
 Terry Gilliam directed that poo? I despised the movie. It's a masterpiece, it's art, but it's a TOTAL DOWNER.

I mean the way they played with sanity and time travel was fantastic, but the absolute failure of -SPOILER- was part of the absolute pessimism that seems to have "inspired" the current generation of film makers. I can't remember the last movie I walked away from happy, but I can give you a long list of movies I walked away empty from.

I just need some wins in movies, please?

c Man, Idiot Dinozzo was exactly as annoying as you say. A manic dipshit who grins at everything. When they took that away and made him a competent investigator, the character shines. But they wheeled it back every season. I even wrote a "reason" in my head.

Every season they find a dead marine jogger. Tossed off a bridge post mortem, head shaved, identity pending. And Dinozzo is stupid again. It's like they pop out a new Dinozzo whenever his competency threatens Gibbs. They even pull some weird poo about a watch every time, but it's been a few years.

There were even occasional throwaways about Tony getting plastic surgery. They were played for vanity, but could be interpreted in a more... sinister manner.

My two favorite Dinozzo moments were a callback to alien, where he says "no one can leave the bridge!" They're in the squad room, but it works because the squad room kinda is their bridge, complete with stations.

Second one was when he apologizes to the autopsy attendant for his girlfriend being a Cylon. She was actually a north Korean spy, and got gun murdered hardcore. Surprisingly tasteless comment to someone he is supposed to be a friend to, but hilarious.

Oh poo! I was wrong, McGee got that line! Still dark as golly.
His last season, he essentially got to do skyfall. It was neat. But it was obvious he was done.

As to Abby? She wasn't that annoying at first. Yeah she had dark eyeliner and punk hair, but she wore a regular lab coat and those retarded boots were not in attendance. They REALLY let her off the leash. And it was annoying as hell.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:32:01 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1286 on: July 18, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Alrighty.  I was wrong about vikings, I admit.  I think it usually airs a new season in November. 
So, finally watching breaking bad again for the second time, it's been like 5 or 6 years since I watched it.  Keeping me captivated, I'm on season 3.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1287 on: July 18, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »
they're raising money for missing and exploited children, winners of the contest get to cook in the RV with Cranston and Paul.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/aaron-paul-bryan-cranston-return-to-the-breaking-bad-rv-for-omaze-campaign-932

Cranston wants to bring the show back, says it can be like Roseanne without the racism.

Which is so much funnier when you know how BB ends.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1288 on: September 16, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
Ozark.  It's sort of like Breaking Bad, but not quite as good.  It's got a talented cast.  You get to see lots of rural Missouri.  It's pretty, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1289 on: September 17, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »
I'm bummed Aaron Paul signed on with Westworld, because A) I hear season 2 was incomprehensible poo plugged directly up it's own ass, and B) I'd love to see him in something that isn't hoarded by HBO's two remaining dragons (whoopsie, spoiler!)

Kinda glad it isn't Callister?