Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 102650 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1335 on: February 24, 2019, 11:52:07 PM »
I watched a short on youtube called Dirty Laundry, about 10 min. in length.  He adequately demonstrated the principle that glass has a greater compressive strength than steel with his use of a bottle of Jack Daniels in his acts of retribution.

Online 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #1336 on: February 25, 2019, 12:07:48 AM »
that's the one, it's been a few years since I watched it. I wonder if the distillery paid for that inclusion? Those square bottles are pretty tough actually.
Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1337 on: February 27, 2019, 02:10:36 AM »
Stephen King's "Under The Dome."  Filmed in stupidvision. 
The brother in law from Breaking Bad gets to be a main bad guy.  His son is a real psycho.
Chester's Mill mysteriously covered by a dome, impenetrable.  People hurt by its sudden appearance, everyone running around saying "WTF?"  The soundtrack features a large horn section making sure you can't ever relax, because "This is SERIOUS and MYSTERIOUS and creepy."  OK.  Enough.  I get it.  If I were a CGI person, I'd love to work on this because you get to do domes and lots of explosions and crashes.  Flames and smoke FTW!!!

I threw up my hands in the middle of the 3rd episode and decided to read the New York Times instead.

On the other hand, the four part Lorena Bobbit documentary was really well done and a pleasure to watch.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:16:08 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Online 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #1338 on: February 27, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
I vaguely remember complaining about that one in realtime! The money shot of the whole series is the damn bisected cow.

They kept coming up with stupid reasons to keep them in the dome. One thing I found offensive is that it's a ripoff of a far better R.L. Stine serial, which means Stine probably stole it too.

Specifically, town wakes up, no power, and they can't leave town. The stine story didn't use a dome, they just couldn't leave. It wasn't like silent hill either.

So the town bands together, blah blah blah it was dumbed down for kids.

Anyway, spoiler is it's an Ant Farm. But the Ants are in the place of the humans! I've never been able to track this down, but it was a chiller thriller book club magazine.

I have seen the alien zoo concept a couple times, most recently in guardians of the galaxy. They saved Laika!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1339 on: February 28, 2019, 12:46:37 AM »
Luis Bu˝uel's Exterminating Angel is more entertaining.  A group of people at a cocktail party, each too polite to leave.  This goes on for days.  It's black comedy at its finest.  No need for CGI, no domes, just absurd humor.

I'll have to check the Stine story you mentioned.

I'm back at the 3rd season of The Man in the High Castle.  The costumes and the sets are just fabulous.  The flags, the hair and makeup.  What a brilliant show.  It departs significantly from the novel, but it's still fine.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:49:06 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1340 on: February 28, 2019, 10:46:16 AM »
Thanks.  Since I have no interest in pursuing the series or the book, do they ever explain how the dome got there?

I've seen the tv adaptation of The Dead Zone (maybe it was a movie?  idk as  I saw it on tv) with Christopher Walken, who did a creditable job with the part.  It was sad, but satisfying.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:48:07 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Online 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #1341 on: February 28, 2019, 02:57:25 PM »
Dome was a one off, and yes, and it's stupid.

The Walken movie Dead zone was fantastic, the TV show was horrible, even though it had the super cute ezri dax in it.

It was like they were trying to blend a police procedural with 7th Heaven. Schmaltzy poo.

The movie is straight up horror, and almost seems too good to be King.

Rare straight up hero role for Walken too. I feel like his absurdly skilled acting has relegated him to "HOLY poo IT'S CHRISTOPHER WALKEN" roles.

Or maybe he just likes small parts? He has a standing invitation to host SNL whenever he likes. So does Alec Baldwin.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1342 on: March 01, 2019, 01:47:18 AM »
I read the Wikipedia synopsis and it sounded really idiotic.

Just finished Counterpart, a Starz program.  It was interesting and intelligent in riffing on the split Berlin situation.  A kind of science fiction post cold war thriller.  The acting was decent.  I think they could have lightened up a bit on the sad string music, but otherwise it was well done.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1343 on: March 02, 2019, 02:07:35 AM »
Umbre, a Romanian series via amazon prime.  It seems really good.  Cab driver/bag man for some gangsters and his adventures.  So far, it's been really entertaining.  The main character is quite laconic, doesn't talk much, but he's a smart guy, kind of restrained.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1344 on: March 05, 2019, 12:11:07 PM »
Endeavour, another series finished. another year to wait 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1345 on: March 08, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »
We love Endeavour.  I was just commenting to my husband that it does such a great job of laying out the back story to the guy that eventually becomes the cantankerous, frustrated, and lonely Morse.  The episodes are all well done and compelling.  We're rewatching it now.

I just finished another one of Amazon Prime's euro fest tv shows.  This one was done by TnT Europe.  "Four Blocks."  About a family of Islamic immigrants who have been in Berlin, Germany for 3 decades, and prevented from earning a legitimate living until they achieve legal resident status, something that they long for as they'd prefer to go straight.  But, in the meantime, they've resorted to selling drugs, protection schemes and other nefarious activities.  An undercover cop infiltrates their group and we follow their developments.  Conflicts within the family as the women disapprove of the violent and illegal activities of their husbands (who tell them to shut up and go clean the house or whatev'); as the men disagree about how to deal with problems from rival gangs -- there's a particularly creepy and ruthless American style motorcycle club called the Cthulhus who are more than prone to violence and who are constantly fighting over drug turf with the Islamic family.  There's plenty to keep you occupied in terms of plot development and the acting is really good.  The bad guys really make your skin crawl and there are internal conflicts within the more virtuous characters.  I just finished Season 1.  I was pleased to see there's another one.  It sort of reminds me of The Wire, the David Simon series that is based in Baltimore.

I was annoyed that seasons 2 & 3 of Shadows (Umbre), the Romanian gangster series, is not available on Prime or anywhere else for that matter.  I guess I could find it in a video store in Bucharest, but that's a bit far to travel for late night entertainment.