Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 333519 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1425 on: July 01, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
For it's time, that movie was hilarious. It does not hold up. Also bombed hard.

Devon Sawa left acting to pursue a narcotics addiction.

He also looks a lot like Anthony Michael Hall now, so that's weird.

update: apparently he got sober.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:44:17 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1426 on: July 01, 2019, 06:25:30 PM »
The plot sounds so outrageous that's it's easy to see how it could veer off from mere horror into camp.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1427 on: July 02, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
Ha.  So now I've downloaded it and it's in the queue for late night viewing.  Probably not the best choice before bedtime, but if it's as silly as you suggest, maybe it'll be good for a few laughs.

p.s. I'm really enjoying the Hyperion Cantos, so thank you for that.  I'm about 1/5 way through it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:51:05 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1428 on: July 02, 2019, 09:52:28 PM »
eh, I don't think I'd want idle hands on my hard drive. Definite streamer. Like I said, contemporarily, it was fun. In retrospect, BTVS season 1 level bad. I mean both have their 'charm' but holy crap did they not age well.

I still haven't found S5 of breaking bad anywhere, holding back a rewatch. I've also never seen BCS dvd's :(

I'm not sure they even make BCS dvd's.

[Just checked, they did.]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:54:11 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1429 on: July 02, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »
I couldn't find it to stream, hence the D/L.  I have S5 of Breaking bad from Killers.  Maybe old Demonoid or eztv, don't remember.   Not great quality but legible @about 320Mb/episode. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1430 on: July 03, 2019, 12:17:32 AM »
pm sent with link to the movie store.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1431 on: July 05, 2019, 02:45:33 AM »
Head Case on Starz.  Amusing sitcom about shrink with A list Hollywood clients.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1432 on: July 09, 2019, 02:47:07 AM »
The Rook.  Life's a bummer and you can't trust anyone.
Paranoia reigns supreme.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1433 on: July 11, 2019, 11:57:21 AM »
Started Stranger Things last night.  Not too bad.  Some humor woven into the usual tropes.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1434 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:15 PM »
I've never watched it, but burger king did the absolutely stupidest and simultaneously awesome marketing gimmick.

They assembled whoppers upside down. Apparently that's a thing on the show? They also used 80's themed packaging for the meal.
They can't use the actual 80's packaging, because I'm pretty sure that stuff got banned by environmental laws.

I want a new movie to watch, but I'm coming up blank.

I did learn that there really are formulas you have to meet in Hollywood. For instance, Iron Man didn't fit the mold, but no one gave a poo until it utterly exploded.

When things weren't ironed down (heh) They hired Edgar Wright to do Ant-Man. He did about 90% of the pre-filming work, then hit the Committee. Even Keven Feige "The Mastermind" behind marvel admitted they kicked Edgar Wright out for not meeting committee requirements. It literally came down to one studio "note".

Studio notes are always asinine suggestions by non creative people that they think are utterly bless'ed brilliant. Spielberg once managed to punt a note that "Back to the Future" be retitled to "Space man from Pluto".

In the Ant-Man case, the suits won.  I kinda felt that as the movies went on. Notably, Jon Favreau was not asked to direct Iron Man 3, despite arguably being the man who delivered the golden goose.

I never really cared for the Captain America films, and in the Endgame, that seemed to be the track line that the suits preferred. That's why [spoilers ganked] almost spoiled endgame, sorry.

Whoops, that also has golly all to do with TV. I saw the new PREACHER promo, looks like Jesse will finally make good on his promise to punch God in the face. And Hitler is still around. I feel like if the show was going to go on longer, that would be fine, but they got "And final season"ed

That always feels like a golly you to both the show and audience, like the network is saying "Yeah, we cancelled that show you like, but we're giving you a doggy bag".
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:54:04 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1435 on: July 11, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »
Networks like to cancel stuff I like.  If only Jeff Bezos was around to save all those shows, like he did with The Expanse, that would be sweet.

Yeah.  There's this upside down thing going on w/Stranger Things.  There's some creepy scary stuff on there that makes me mute the sound and play pacman.  I'm not a big horror fan.  I expect that if George RR Martin was writing it, all the cool people would be dead asap.  But this is a show that resembles more typical morality plays. Virtue is rewarded and sinfulness is punished.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1436 on: July 12, 2019, 05:19:08 AM »
Serenity? But then the reavers…

I walked out of that movie feeling like I'd lost something.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1437 on: July 15, 2019, 04:13:01 AM »
Stranger Things is pretty well done.  I'm enjoying the odd developments of the plot.

Good god Paul Reiser has let himself go.  I hardly recognized him.  I never understood the appeal of Mad About You.  Now at least he's in a role where I can dislike him because he's a bad guy instead of a lame yuppie scumbag.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:14:32 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1438 on: July 15, 2019, 05:06:32 AM »
I think they had Helen Hunt divorce him at some point? She's a fairly joyless individual herself.

He kind of permanently installed "lame yuppie scumbag" DLC when he was in AlienS.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1439 on: July 15, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »
Yeah.  I never followed the show, but knew people who did.  I never understood the Helen Hunt thing either.  She was ok on the tv dramatization of Pamela Smart, the teacher who seduced one of her teenage students into killing her husband, but other than that, ... huh?

The casting of Reiser for the role on Stranger Things is good, though.  I'm constantly impressed at the acting skills of the younger cast members.  The arc of the story is pretty creepy.  I just saw the episode where the little tadpole thing grows up to smash the cage and devour the family cat. Whoa.  Couldn't have seen that one coming, NOT.  The next question is "who else is it going to eat?"