Author Topic: Review a film that you think is worth watching (not one that you don't)  (Read 60649 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Tropic Thunder

Everything about this film is absolutely hilarious, from the mock trailers at the beginning to Tom cruise dancing at the end.  To be honest you could have put any of the main characters on screen for the duration of the movie as they hardly had to speak to make me laugh - just looking at Robert Downey Jr was enough for me to piss myself.  If you haven't seen this yet? Get it, watch it and put yourself in a good mood for days!

Rob Downey:

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Re: Review a film that you think is worth watching (not one that you don't)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »

This flick is based on a joke that comedian Doug Benson would tell in his stand up routines in which he sends up the film Super Size Me:

"I can do that flick, but it's gonna be me smokin' weed for 24 hours a day for 30 days, and it's called Super High Me...

Or, Business As Usual, I haven't decided."

Well, a fimmaker took him up on the idea and Doug goes for 30 days without weed, being tested on multiple things including how it affects him medically. And then he gets to go for 30 days smoking non-stop, and they test him for the same things. The results are surprising and informative...

Not to mention Doug is actually pretty damn funny, so as the flick progresses, you get snippets of the stand up tour he's undertaking at the same time where he comments on what happening to him.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
Watched 2 of the Golden Globe nominees last night. I am not a reviewer but I am an "opinionator"

Grand Torino-Enjoyable film. For Clint's last acting role he reminds the audience of every movie icon he has every created!! Not gonna win much in the awards catagory but it is worth seeing. I really liked this movie 6.5/10.

Slumdog Millionaire- For F%$#'S sake!!! This is an AWESOME movie. I never even heard about it until the nominee list came out. Everything about this was flawless. Very intricate script which was totally held together until the end.  This is a must see for everyone. 9/10

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »
Well, I've got an Academy screener for Gran Torino so I'll watch that tonight, and I should get screeners for Benjamin Button, Slumdog, and The Wrestler next week...  8)

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
and I should get screeners for Benjamin Button, Slumdog, and The Wrestler next week...  8)

Benjamin Button is very good, but it is pretty long though.
Slumdog is just amazingly wonderful.
And as for The Wrestler - it is so good I have nothing to say. I watched it twice, and both times I stayed breathless during the credits.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »
I agree, Benjamin Button was very good I forgot to add that to my list. I dont think it is a film that I will watch again however. Ill give that one a 7.5/10. I hate tear jerker movies but Im glad I saw that one.

The Wrestler? I have a hard time looking at Mickey Rourke these days. Does this film cross over into the "women liked it too" category? What can it hurt to get a copy. And after all CMF recommends it. I dont know what that means yet, I havent crossed referenced any other film with your likes/dislikes except for Slumdog AND Big Bang.

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

Well, let me tell you this:
It is a movie about pro-wrestling. And you will see some violence. But the movie is not about that.
It is really complex and goes about the human's feelings.
It shows how an old wrestler who gave away everything he had, even his family, to pursue his career and get famous, finds himself rejected by almost everybody, with old fame and no one to love him.
So, yes, it is a good movie. It is not a chick flick, because guys will like it too.

Just for a reference, my mom loved it when I showed it to her and she hates pro-wrestling.

So, do not let the title make you think that it is a sports movie. It is way more than that.

And, yes, if you like pro-wrestling, you will enjoy it.

And let me finish by saying, that, both times I saw the movie, I almost cried at the end.

So, to answer you question, just watch it and you will not regret it!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:50:55 PM by CMF »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:04 PM »
Just for a reference, my mom loved it when I showed it to her and she hates pro-wrestling.

THAT'S what I wanted to hear.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:33:16 PM »
poo, it's by Darren Aronofsky, after Pi and Reqiuem for a Dream, I'll look at anything he does...

The Fountain was a bit of a bore, tho'...

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 06:43:08 PM »
Tonight is "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 06:44:53 PM »
Tonight is "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"

Also a really very good movie.
It won a Golden Globe for best comedy.  ;)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
Well Ill give my .02 tomorrow.

CMF!! "The Wrestler" got done sooner than I thought so I decided to start with that one. Im having some problems man..............the staple gun fight just happened and so far I have little to no sympathy for this guy. Just had to take a break and share.

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »
yeah, well, this is what I was talking about:
it has a few fights in the beginning in order to introduce you in his life
but continue watching it  ;)
it gets really good and kinda sad later on
In the end, I felt pity for him, but in the same time I had no sympathy for the choices he made.
The movie is really about how the society raises some people so high and when they fall, they fall really bad.

But you will see, it is this hardcore match exactly that will kinda change him and his life, or at least sort of.
It is more of a starting point of the real story  ;)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:02 PM »
K...............Ill finish then. Here's what I liked best about the film, my baby Bruce, singing to me softly at the end. AAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................You are right about one thing, Mickey Rouke is excellent in this. It is still hard to look at his face but the distortion look relavant in this movie. And it is a "true" ending, none of that tomorrow is a better day poo. He lived it and he couldnt change so he............SPOILER
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:56:09 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:56:47 PM »

Y'know this is an excellent film.

I don't want to give too much away because part of why the film is so great is the way it unfolds. I will say that I was pleased that it went against all of my expectations of where I thought the story was headed.

Be warned, Eastwood is a racist sonuvabitch in it and calls 'minorities' all sorts of epithets to their faces, with conviction, so be prepared for some rough dialogue.