Author Topic: Review a film that you think is worth watching (not one that you don't)  (Read 58018 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Review a film that you think is worth watching (not one that you don't)
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 03:14:35 AM »
I love this thread as it means I can watch a film that I know isn't going to be dire.  I have wasted to much of my life watching crud films that I have instantly forgotten.  Thanks for everyone's input here.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 04:55:34 AM »
Gran Torino looks nice, especially when it is Eastwood's last movie.  :(
I will probably see it later.

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »
I was surprised I liked Gran Torino as much as I did.  I found Clint Eastwood character both
hilarious and touching  :)

This is an older one, but I'm gonna recommend Midnight Madness (1980)

For some reason, it seems like this film doesn't get a fair shake with a lot of people. 
I think it's a fun film that isn't overburdened by a serious romantic angle and little
to no seriousness in general.  There are nerds, jocks, weirdos, heroes, villains and
even a cameo by an embryonic version of Pee-wee Herman.  It's basically about
a scavenger hunt-like game a mastermind has put together for all these crazy groups
to play. 
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 10:36:51 PM »
I was surprised I liked Gran Torino as much as I did.  I found Clint Eastwood character both
hilarious and touching  :)

I was also surprised by how much I liked it, especially since I've never been overly fond of his films.  :)

...and even a cameo by an embryonic version of Pee-wee Herman. 

Not to mention a 19-year-old Michael J. Fox...  ;)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 06:41:53 AM »
I remember watching that show and loving it.

"E....E...Eeeeeagle...Eeeegypt....Eeeeaster...Ha ha....Eeeeaster Bunny...Ha...Eeeaster Parade".
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »
HOLY CRAP!!!

How is it possible that I have gone 10 years since this movies release and not hear anything about the "real" movie?  Watched Fight Club last night. Yeah, yeah I know. Why just now? But I really would rather watch Horror blood and gore than actual blood and gore so I avoided it. But last night I watched it and F&^$IN' A how awesome was that!! Im assuming everyone has already seen it so I will speak freely here.

The only critism I have is that I wish the Fight Club part of the movie would of been alittle bit shorter and the Reality part of the movie would of been hinting around sooner. Maybe I should watch it again? Maybe that was happening and I missed it...........

Anyway, great movie and Im glad I finally took the worlds advice and watched it.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 12:29:01 PM »
You know the little subliminal thing they mention Tyler Durden does at the kid's movies?  There are bits of that throughout the whole movie.  One specific time is where the copy boy passes "Cornelius" in the office the night after a Fight Club.
--dweez

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »
Glad to hear you liked it cheapy, that and American Beauty were my 2 favorite films that year. No matter what Bred Pitt does, I will always think he rocks because he was Tyler Durden (not to mention Jeffrey Goines) and he was so bless'ed good in that movie. Ed Norton is also excellent but in more subtle ways, and Helena Bonham-Carter was fantastic, too.

By the way, the The Dust Brothers' soundtrack album to the film is also excellent.

"You are not your bless'ed khakis."

:)

Oh, and the book is very good( especially for being the writer's first novel), too and the flick is a really faithful adaptation. And if you like the book, be sure to read Palahniuk's 2nd novel Survivor - it's even more anti-establishment than Fight Club.  :D

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
I didnt know it was adapted from a book. Must get to the used book store tomorrow

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:56 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!

How is it possible that I have gone 10 years since this movies release and not hear anything about the "real" movie?  Watched Fight Club last night. Yeah, yeah I know. Why just now? But I really would rather watch Horror blood and gore than actual blood and gore so I avoided it. But last night I watched it and F&^$IN' A how awesome was that!! Im assuming everyone has already seen it so I will speak freely here.
The only critism I have is that I wish the Fight Club part of the movie would of been alittle bit shorter and the Reality part of the movie would of been hinting around sooner. Maybe I should watch it again? Maybe that was happening and I missed it...........
Anyway, great movie and Im glad I finally took the worlds advice and watched it.

Had fight club since it came out.... still yet to watch it.  I was a little anti it when it came out as I have seen fighting first hand wasn't sure if I wanted to see more.  But now I could do with the excitement so I'll watch it this weekend (after I set the VCR back up..)
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »
Fight Club is one of my all time favorite movies.  Weird, Brad Pitt is in another of my all time favorites, Legends of the Fall (although I don't really like to admit that.  I feel my manhood dying a little each time I do).
--dweez

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 03:10:22 PM »
It looks like OC1, you try to avoid movies with much violence. But, remember that many of them are actually good, e.g. Fight Club.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
And actually there aren't a great many fight scenes in the movie, it's just that ones that are there are pretty rough at times...

And I can't believe we're breaking the first 2 rules of fight club with total abandon...  :D

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »

This is another movie I have just finished finished watching and I am deeply impressed by it.
Call me a kitty, but I kinda cried at the end.
It is a movie that will certainly please anyone :guy or a chick, homo or hetero.
And it is not only about gay rights, but about human rights, something we tend to neglect these days.
Yes, it starts slowly, and maybe that is why it will not win Oscar for best picture, but I found the ending very powerful.

So, as soon as you can, go watch Milk. Although, I should warn you that there are a few gay-sex scenes, but it is nothing to be really surprised since we live, at least I hope we do, in a considerately open-minded world.

Offline MisterAJ

• Rt Hon Reverend AJ
  • Homo Superior
  • Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »
Hulk Vs Wolverine

Great movie... Absolutely fantastic...
Bit short (40 min), but great fun... Long time Marvel readers will see several familiar faces, and those
<--- LIKE ME who like Deadpool, will be trilled to see his debut...  8)

Great action, without the "mandatory" no-blood rule... (Yes... there is blood...)  ;D

Animations not my favorite kind (7/10), but seeing how this, and the (IMHO) WAY to short run time, is
the only draw-backs in this flick, I easily give this one a clear CUT  ;)  9.5/10...

Quotes worth looking for:

- Strike a pose
- Logan, I think we lost him
- I can't believe it! I'm alive... I'M ALI*SMACK*................................................... Outch...  :D :D :D