Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 182907 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2850 on: December 04, 2019, 07:27:31 AM »
I heard people are afraid to say it sucked, don't know if I want to sink that kind of time on a Scorsese.

I just watched "the first 8" which is kind of a doco on Tarantino. They touch on the Weinstein, but it rings a little hollow. Michael Madsen spent a lot of time with the production, and he just flat out says, even if you knew what he did, and Quentin did, Weinstein could destroy you with one phone call.

I didn't like basterds. Like the opening scene, super powerful, but the movie itself didn't hold me. So I haven't actually watched Django or Hateful 8.

I have heard 9, Once upon a time in Hollywood, is not great, and he's said he's only doing ten.

I do wonder what ten will be.
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2851 on: Yesterday at 01:22:06 PM »
I watched a really decent little horror recently called IMDb: In The Tall Grass. It was quite original even though the story was a little hard to understand - even when you sort of find out what's going on towards the end.

Nonetheless, I personally thoroughly enjoyed it.

7/10
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline christ

• Definitely not staff
  • Divinity
  • Australopithecus
« Reply #2852 on: Yesterday at 03:02:51 PM »
I think that has by now been established the Mr King is better on the page than on the screen.
* with significant exceptions.

This post will self-destruct in <5 days.
(Probably <1, now I think about it)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #2853 on: Today at 12:31:55 AM »
I slogged through the Stand, an American TV miniseries.  It started out well but then dragged on and on and on.  Gak.  The book looks like a doorstop and there's too much to read and too little time to venture into that.  I once read Norman Mailer's Ancient Evenings, a novel in desperate need of an editor who could whip it into shape and down to a manageable size.  I suspect Mailer's adept transformation of himself into an American literary monument averted such useful and necessary interventions.  Maybe that was the case with the Stand.  I think a skillful screenwriter could adapt Ancient Evenings into a decent miniseries or movie, but I haven't seen any effort in that direction.

I've only read King's short stories and Pet Sematary, a novel that I enjoyed a lot.  It's clear that he's a brilliant writer.  His descriptions are well wrought and the plots play on all kinds of human anxieties and longings.  He seems to have a clear sense of how pursuing those longings to an extreme can lead to catastrophe.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2854 on: Today at 01:03:55 AM »
A Rainy day in New York
So woody Allen
The Script flowed from scene to scene, shots tight.
I Enjoyed

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2855 on: Today at 05:51:14 AM »
I think that has by now been established the Mr King is better on the page than on the screen.

I think it's more Vincenzo Natali's adaptation that made it a little confusing (in a good way) as it had that "Cube" feeling about it.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.