Author Topic: megaupload  (Read 5473 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
megaupload
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »
wow I never heard of this site ( or was ).
seemed a little naive to think they could still run off servers in the USA and get away with it  ???
Seems the FBI is flexing muscle over the web.
Interesting to hear on the news that Hollywood bankroll a lot of senators who are trying to push the bills through the courts.

" Federal prosecutors said the firm paid users to upload illegal movies and music and tried to hide the practice. The investigators said its executives used their ill-gotten gain for a lavish lifestyle, adding that they confiscated dozens of luxury autos, including a Rolls-Royce with the plate “GOD” owned by site founder
 The indictment charges Megaupload’s executives with making $175 million from charging users subscription fees and advertisements while robbing movie producers, authors, musicians and other copyright holders of about $500 million.

A lawyer for Megaupload.com has denied that the company did anything wrong. But on Twitter, an account apparently run by the firm’s executives sent out a farewell tweet: “Sorry guys, it was good while it lasted!” "

;D ;D ;D ;D well i hope they like prison food  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: megaupload
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 04:20:41 AM »
They'd still be difficult to indite indict for the same reasons there are for the bitTorrent situation.  That is, all they do is offer file hosting and it is up to the customer to self regulate what that store in their account.  How do they differ from Usenet, Rapidshare, Filestube and all the others I ask, or was Megaupload just the easiest to target.

Personally I think the 'authorities' should pay more attention to the public who are actually the ones that are  overtly, breaking the law, but I suppose they have tried that approach with Jammie Thomas-Rasset and who remembers her?

All this is just another scare tactic that we'll all forget about soon.  Either that or it will be back to the good old days of FTPing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:52:26 AM by smokester »
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
hehe, "indict".

Megaupload is different I believe because the files in question are located on their central servers (I might be wrong about that as I've always detested DDL (Direct Download) sites like them and RapidShare.  Either way, IMHO, it's no great loss.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »
hehe, "indict".

I was getting confused with my son's homework - such are Saturdays for me.

Does that mean that in MU case it was because the authorities could physically seize the servers? I wonder how Rapidshare operates then.

Does this pose other questions like what you can store in your cloud?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
interesting comment about "cloud"

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:31:07 AM »
This Megaupload thing has really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Filesonic has already disabled downloads from accounts you don't personally own, and there seems to be a few others running scared:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2090528/Megaupload-case-Other-file-sharing-websites-risk-prosecution.html

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »
Your son's homework involves deliberate spelling errors? You are a very cruel person.

I have to do something to make them stop asking for food.  Do they not understand that doesn't happen until they're 12.