Author Topic: Off/On ramp beggars....  (Read 36120 times)

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
Re: Off/On ramp beggars....
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
We've bent up LARGE!

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
We've bent up LARGE!

Well at least that?s good. That means we?re all equally cattle :D

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2009, 04:01:28 PM »
Well at least that?s good. That means we?re all equally cattle :D

Indeed! :D

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
Monty Python.. Life of Brian

Basically all generations have there own way to vent on certain concepts. LOLz anything is just an upgrade of an already done idea.

ah.

I was running through all of the "pythons" I know in my head and somehow every time that term is mentioned on this forum python always pops up.  :D
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
And insulting or not.. so I apologize ahead of time... Life of Bbrian is pretty darn funny :D

But.. I'm still firm that I'm sharing my pasture land with all the other cattle :P I don't need that much in life.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
..plus.. I've somewhat lost how we got onto this drift..

Somewhere in the interim of discussing desensification. I can see how religion plays into that.....not for me but for the masses so to speak.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
Well they are Sheep!

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
Got this email that I would normally delete before even reading but it made me think of this thread.

Breakfast at McDonald's

I am a mother of three (ages 14, 12, 3) and have recently completed my college degree. The last class I had to take was Sociology. The teacher was absolutely inspiring with the qualities that I wish every human being had bee n graced with. Her last project of the term was called, 'Smile.' The class was asked to go out and smile at three people and document their reactions. I am a very friendly person and always smile at everyone and say hello anyway. So, I thought this would be a piece of cake, literally.

Soon after we were assigned the project, my husband, youngest son, and I went out to McDonald's one crisp March morning. It was just our way of sharing special playtime with our son. We were standing in line, waiting to be served, when all of a sudden everyone around us began to back away, and then even my husband did. I did not move an inch.... an overwhelming feeling of panic welled up inside of me as I turned to see why they had moved. As I turned around I smelled a horrible 'dirty body' smell, and there standing behind me were two poor homeless men. As I looked down at the short gentleman, close to me, he was 'smiling' His beautiful sky blue eyes were full of God's Light as he searched for acceptance..

He said, 'Good day' as he counted the few coins he had been clutching. The second man fumbled with his hands as he stood behind his friend. I realized the second man was mentally challenged and the blue-eyed gentleman was his salvation. I held my tears as I stood there with them. The young lady at the counter asked him what they wanted. He said, 'Coffee is all Miss' because that was all they could afford. (If they wanted to sit in the restaurant and warm up, they had to buy something. He just wanted to be warm). Then I really felt it - the compulsion was so great I almost reached out and embraced the little man with the blue eyes. That is when I noticed all eyes in the restaurant were set on me, judging my every action.

I smiled and asked the young lady behind the counter to give me two more breakfast meals on a separate tray. I then walked around the corner to the table that the men had chosen as a resting spot. I put the tray on the table and laid my hand on the blue-eyed gentleman's cold hand. He looked up at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, 'Thank you.' I leaned over, began to pat his hand and said, 'I did not do this for you.. God is here working through me to give you hope.' I started to cry as I walked away to join my husband and son. When I sat down my husband smiled at me and said, 'That is why God gave you to me, Honey, to give me hope..' We held hands for a moment and at that time, we knew that only because of the Grace that we had been given were we able to give. We are not church goers, but we are believers.. That day showed me the pure Light of God's sweet love I returned to college, on the last evening of class, with this story in hand. I turned in 'my project' and the instructor read it.
Then she looked up at me and said, 'Can I share this?' I slowly nodded as she got the attention of the class She began to read and that is when I knew that we as human beings and being part of God share this need to heal people and to be healed. In my own way I had touched the people at McDonald's, my son,the instructor, and every soul that shared the classroom on the last night I spent as a college student.

I graduated with one of the biggest lessons I would ever learn:
UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE.
LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS -
NOT LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.

An Angel wrote:
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart
To handle yourself, use your head..
To handle others, use your heart.
God Gives every bird it's food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

This is so hokey, but I cant help remembering when touching things like this were regarded as careing and tasteful.  ???

You know,, um,, I am a licensed minister ( believe it or not,, i am still a human  after all).
This touched me,,it made me think.
 I know there are alot of beggars out there that are pretty much con artists and whatnot. BUT,,,maybe once in a while one if put in our path to test our faith in humanity.
Those here who know me pretty well ( Hmed for one) know that im not a religious person, but a spiritual one, since religiosity is pretty unaccepting.
 I met quite a few beggars that were just lazy no accounts trying to get by on others hard work. But ive met a few that were decent people that were down on thier luck.
 I remember back in the winter of 2000-2001 ( it was a bad one).
 This homeless gent knocked on the door lookng for any kind of work he could do for a hot meal. Hey man,, im not going to turn down someone thats in need..not like this guy, he was trying to make his way and not look for a handout.
 We helped him out,,,he chopped some wood for us and I made homemade lasagna, and let him sleep on my couch that night.
 Yeah,, could have been a mistake,, but,,,call me TOO nice sometimes.
The next morning when I got up, he was gone and left me a note of thanks.
A couple years later I saw him again,, he had straitened his life up, turned it all around and was doing well for himself.
 He and his current girlfreind talked me into going with them to dinner,,on them as his way of thanking me for the service I did him a couple years before.
The man was very pleasant, just like before and somewhat educated.
 When I went to leave after a pleasent evening, he hugged me and thanked me.
He said that he was about to end it all before he came to my home asking for work,, and I showed him that people still cared for their fellow man.
 Bernie was, and is still a very good guy, and now owns his own small chain of fast food places here in the southern US.
 Just goes to show what a little kindness can accomplish in a strangers life.
 You never know who or how you will touch someone just by being there for a moment for them.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2009, 02:49:37 AM »
^That's awesome RG.  :)

It's true, it only takes a little act to potentially change somebody's outlook and in turn have them change their entire life for the better.

Kindness shouldn't be too hard to show, whereas cruelty actually takes lots of energy and persistent strain and effort.

No matter the situation, everyone is entitled to be happy. If we can help someone achieve that with a simple selfless act, then we should

strive and intend for that. It really can make the world a better place because ultimately as people with feelings, emotions, desires, most

actions we take in life are to be happy. Everyone strives to achieve happiness.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2009, 06:23:30 AM »
Unfortunately these days,lots of people are selfish,the ME attitude.
  I avoid them like the plague.
But you're right,even a smile can make someone feel better.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:47 AM »
Somewhere in the interim of discussing desensification. I can see how religion plays into that.....not for me but for the masses so to speak.

Only if we're intent to drive the discussion that way. And post examples that show it. We could do the same for government.. or lots of entities that hold power and control. I just felt like the shift was a little abrupt.

Religion and the poor is a huge topic, and dates back to the beginings of recorded history, and one that should probably have its own thread, because it will drown this discussion. There's too many side paths it could take.

I don't see how religion needs to play into why or how someone is selfless, or has empathy. So I was just wondering how we started steering sharply in that direction.

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »
Only if we're intent to drive the discussion that way. And post examples that show it. We could do the same for government.. or lots of entities that hold power and control. I just felt like the shift was a little abrupt.

Religion and the poor is a huge topic, and dates back to the beginings of recorded history, and one that should probably have its own thread, because it will drown this discussion. There's too many side paths it could take.

I don't see how religion needs to play into why or how someone is selfless, or has empathy. So I was just wondering how we started steering sharply in that direction.

First thing politicians have to understand is that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS.

King Richard said it best:" To be a leader, is to know that you dont have the people to serve you, you serve the people".

Truer words by a leader were never said.  Ufortunately you have the Bush's and Cheheys of the world looking down on the common people, and serving themselves.
 Maybe if people understand one thing, that the reason they have so much is because others have so little, maybe we would all be better off.
I keep my standards low.

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2009, 09:48:22 AM »
Maybe if people understand one thing, that the reason they have so much is because others have so little, maybe we would all be better off.

That is a profound statement I can groove to  :)
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »
I have my moments.

I also believe that 9 of the 10 commandments can be translated into one commandment : Be good to on another".

Who knows, it saves space and might actualy catch on.

Like I have allways said, there is nothing wrong with the world that cant be fixed by doing whats right
I keep my standards low.