Author Topic: pesto chicken  (Read 7730 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
pesto chicken
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
do I have to bake it or can I cook it on the stove top will it still be pesto-y ?

Offline xtopave

• Q
Re: pesto chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Maybe how you cook the chicken isn't important. Pesto is the name of the sauce and it can be added to different things (tipically pasta). In Italian cuisine pesto is never cooked. Basil doesn't do well when cooked and garlic obviously tastes different when cooked. I've searched a few recipes on the net and some add the pesto to the chicken before cooking and others add it after the chicken is cooked. IMO if you want to call it "pesto" you shouldn't cook it. Lets see what other members think.  :)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
This is what I use so Im not sure about the "no cooking" thing. I add it to olive oil and service over pasta.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:32:58 AM »
No garlic in that product.  :-\

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:00:50 AM »
garlic makes it taste better.  pesto is simple to make.  I made some basil pesto a couple days ago. 
2 c fresh basil leaves, tightly packed (cilantro also works well),
2 cloves minced garlic (can be run through a press)
1/4 c. lightly toasted pignoli (or nuts like walnuts or almonds)
1/2 tsp lemon juice (to keep the basil green)
1/2 c. good quality (Extra virgin) olive oil
throw the lot into a food processor until it is a uniform paste
If you are going to eat it relatively soon, add 1/2 c of finely grated pecorino romano (or parmesan, any nice salty dry Italian cheese) 
You can freeze this w/o the cheese and add the cheese later (I sometimes split the recipe and freeze half, adding 1/4 c cheese to the half I'm using now)
Put it in a tightly sealed jar and refrigerate.  You should use it in a couple weeks, as it can mold if it sits too long.

Add to pasta (usually add a tablespoon of the hot pasta water to the bowl and then mix the paste into it before you add the pasta, for a single serving).

You can do other things with it, spread it on a turkey sandwich instead of mayonnaise,
Use it to coat chicken breasts.
Soupe au pistou (that requires a small quantity of pesto as a flavoring).
A friend of mine sautés asparagus and tosses it in pesto--very nice.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:06:12 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »
thanks for the recipe 6pairs.

Last nightI spooned some pesto sauce over the chicken tenders and then pan seared them. It had a light pesto flavor to it. I then added the remaining pesto over the chicken. It turned out okay but I won't wast pesto like that again.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
I am always at a loss as to how to cook chicken breasts w/o them turning into shoe leather.

I've heard of marinating them in buttermilk.  I'd think that coating the chicken w/pesto after marinading them and then cooking would make sense.  Baking works, as long as they don't get dried out.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »
same here. I'll always go the easy way and do like a stir fry

most of the receipes I've looked at for cooking chicken breast is to bake it

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 01:44:06 AM »
We had "green scene" for dinner.  Linguine w/basil pesto.  Green salad w/apple, avocado and vinaigrette.  I get basil leaves and make a batch.  It sits in the fridge ok for a couple weeks and it's a great last minute "I don't have a clue what we will have for dinner" meal.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
Linguine w/basil pesto.

A favorite of mine. Yummmnn!