General Category > General Discussion

Reader's Nook

<< < (3/71) > >>

xtopave:
I'm not in a reading phase right now. I'm trying to read Livro do Desassossego by Fernando Pessoa and alternating with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Not making much of a progress with any of them.

tarascon:
Rasputin's Bastards by David Nickle.

Aging Cold War Russians, KGB remote viewing and strange, powerful children who may prove to be the harbingers of doom.
Unfortunately (as a marketing ploy), the author is compared to Stephen King--an author I detest--and for that reason I passed this book up several times before actually buying it. I'm glad I finally ignored the blurb and got the book... it's well-written, darkly funny, and way better than anything King ever wrote.

Btw, may I add that something like this thread exists... Here: http://www.diasfora.co.uk/index.php/topic,4692.0.html
Perhaps someone can merge these two.  ;)

Autumn:
But t, it's just a list. I want details!

tarascon:
I understand but details can sometimes be spoilers.  :)
And as far as recommending that someone read a particular book is a responsibility I shall pass on; what people like and don't like is a hard call--all I can do is hope someone will be intrigued enough to want to check the book out.

I'm also reading Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang & Jon Halliday, a biography of the Chinese tyrant and sociopath. It's a good bio but requires--at times--a strong stomach.

6pairsofshoes:
I'm reading Maurice Merleau-Ponty's Phenomenology of Perception in the new Landau translation.  It was originally published in 1945.  I'm also reading Minette Walters' The Ice House (a mystery, not as good as her The Sculptress).  So far, the Merleau-Ponty, as difficult as it is, is more compelling than the mystery novel.

I read anything and everything.  And I take issue with the dismissal of Stephen King.  I once thought that he was just another pulp novelist and, thus, not deserving of respect.  Then somebody gave me a copy of Pet Sematary.  I was surprised.  He is a gifted writer.  His descriptions and plots are quite skillful, even if they are executed in a limited genre.  Is it high art?  No.  But his books are entertaining and well-crafted.

Nobody accuses K-pop of being art music, but it's entertaining and professionally executed.  There's a popular niche for it.  You don't have to like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version