Author Topic: Look what I found.  (Read 7493 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Look what I found.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
I really respect personal religious beliefs don't really like it when it hide bigotry or prejudices or when it becomes an official religion and impose on everybody and influence laws and civil rights, but unfortunately I live in a country like that....

Fully understood.  Just wanted you to know that not all of us are two-faced, hypocritical, judgmental pricks. :D
--dweez

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
Just wanted you to know that not all of us are two-faced, hypocritical, judgmental pricks. :D

I'm a hypocrite, and judgmental, and a prick. But I won't tolerate you calling me two-faced.  :D  ;D

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
word xtopave. 

I try my damnedest to not be judgmental, that's what I tell myself.  Really, I enjoy watching the general public walking, talking, and driving, when they do not notice me... soley for the purpose of trying to guess who they are.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Well as to Prop 8, my grandma supported it because she hates gays.

This was of course, a point of contention with her gay son. He kicked the sign in repeatedly when he would visit.

I tried to discuss it with her, I really did, but there is no getting past bigotry, they're just so sure that they are correct.

So I aimed at the fiscal. My grandpa voted along fiscal lines, if it raised taxes, he voted no. If it didn't disclose where the money came from, he voted no.

I tried to explain to my grandmother that prop. 8 would lead to endless lawsuits until it were either upheld by the supreme court or thrown out, thus making the point moot.

She really didn't care.

This is probably more useful than my personal anecdotes:
http://www.metafilter.com/121033/Windsor-vs-United-States
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:55:25 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/18/163178546/second-federal-appeals-court-strikes-down-defense-of-marriage-act

This sounds like a clear case of failure to provide equal protection under the law to same sex marriages.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »
is not God supposed to be an asexual being? it looks like he is the misogynist man who make laws to favor himself over women. Just show me one religion where women are treated fairly....

I was going to say that the Cult of Dionysus at least seemed to accept all of human sexuality and wasn't really all about drunken promiscuity, but sought insight and prophesy through exstasis. Then I checked myself because of what the maenads did to Orpheus... I mean, that seems to speak to a real sense of grievance, doesn't it?
So, simply put: No... there was never a post-Neolithic "religion" which didn't seem to exploit non-male, non-hetero people.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.