Author Topic: TV WTF  (Read 16677 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: TV WTF
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 01:59:33 PM »
I think that a good series needs either a good source, or a good team of makers (or both, but I'm not sure that has ever occurred). And a defined ending*.

I think the primary problem with WoT is that it was written without real characters: most of the participants are cyphers designed to further the story in various ways. This makes bad TV.

GoT (or ASOIAF) is different: GRRM writes characters that are interesting, but it is dangerous to care about them, as he has a habit of killing them off. It makes for good TV, because they do stuff, and despite yourself you do care. Where GRRM stopped writing, the suits were clueless.

Dune 2 is way better than Dune 1, but between them they only cover the introduction to the Dune saga: In the first book (2 movies) the kid wins, but in the next book he becomes the monster: in the rest of the saga the author attempts (with limited success) to show how the "continual evil emperor cycle" is broken.

* this is the bit that rendered several potentially great shows into rubbish (Lost, Heroes, even X-Files - amongst thousands of others. Great ideas, great starts, sagging middles and no ending)

I'm afraid I never got to see any of those other shows.  Sounds like I shouldn't bother.  I'm still smarting from the lost hours of my life devoted to watching Earth: Final Conflict.  Now, I think it's better to catch up on my reading than risk the frustration of too much bad tv.

Offline christ

• Definitely not staff
  • Divinity
  • Australopithecus
Re: TV WTF
« Reply #76 on: Today at 11:58:53 AM »
I'm afraid I never got to see any of those other shows.  Sounds like I shouldn't bother.

That would be my recommendation. Unfortunately I get hooked by pilots and first series that appear to be good TV, with a promising hook. But nowadays I don't start watching a series - even the pilot - until Wikipedia tells me that the show has a successful conclusion.
* with significant exceptions.

This post will self-destruct in <5 days.
(Probably <1, now I think about it)