Author Topic: Stuff White People Like  (Read 14048 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Stuff White People Like
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
And sometimes things caucasians say/do are just taken the wrong way as your comment above seemed completely innocent.  It seems to me someone would have to go out of their way to interpret it as a "you're so well spoken" type of comment.
--dweez

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »
And sometimes things caucasians say/do are just taken the wrong way as your comment above seemed completely innocent.  It seems to me someone would have to go out of their way to interpret it as a "you're so well spoken" type of comment.

nah...she definitely wanted to slap me :D And now that I look back on it, it could be taken that way. It's easy I suppose to build up attitudes without ever realizing it. Or, go the opposite way to prove you're not one way.. and that's proving something in itself. It's all sort of a slippery slope thing.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:02 AM »
And i went to a pretty ghetto school so I'd get flipped crud all the time even though I wasn't looking for it.

^ this term came up in a talk I was having with a group of friends last night. We were talking about people we knew who died before they ever got out of high school. Also how each death was treated by others, or reacted to... Any way.. it dawned on me that the way I use 'ghetto' doesn't have anything to do with race. When we say ghetto around where I live it means an area that's run down, hard hit, disenfranchised.. basically lacking. And even the connotation itself isn't so much negative..it's more of a short-cut way to get a feeling for an area across. But..yeah.. slang terms don't really work unless the people you're conversing with know you, and speak the same terms. So something simple like how I use the word ghetto can come across as misunderstood when there's a feeling of racial tension in a moment. So..yep.. anytime I've ever been flipped crud, it's been my someone of my own race. Sometimes in ghetto areas and circumstances.. but yep, ghetto is a place, and state of mind, and has nothing to do with race. So..see..that's how misunderstandings can happen.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
but yep, ghetto is a place, and state of mind, and has nothing to do with race.

That's how I have always used it and understood it. I didn't think it had anything to do with race.  :-\
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »
That's how I have always used it and understood it. I didn't think it had anything to do with race.  :-\

heh..good.. just checking to see that I hadn't made an egregious faux pas :D ..especially on the very thread it would have been stupidest to do that ::)

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »
:D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
^ this term came up in a talk I was having with a group of friends last night. We were talking about people we knew who died before they ever got out of high school. Also how each death was treated by others, or reacted to... Any way.. it dawned on me that the way I use 'ghetto' doesn't have anything to do with race. When we say ghetto around where I live it means an area that's run down, hard hit, disenfranchised.. basically lacking. And even the connotation itself isn't so much negative..it's more of a short-cut way to get a feeling for an area across. But..yeah.. slang terms don't really work unless the people you're conversing with know you, and speak the same terms. So something simple like how I use the word ghetto can come across as misunderstood when there's a feeling of racial tension in a moment. So..yep.. anytime I've ever been flipped crud, it's been my someone of my own race. Sometimes in ghetto areas and circumstances.. but yep, ghetto is a place, and state of mind, and has nothing to do with race. So..see..that's how misunderstandings can happen.

While the word "ghetto" has nothing to do with race, it is however, no coincidence..

The sole good thing to come out of the property price explosion, was that otherwise run down areas were suddenly deemed "cosmopolitan" and subsequently invested in.  I wonder what east London will look like to the world when we host the Olympics? as a few years ago that was the blot on London's landscape.. no wait.. it still is a shitehole.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »
While the word "ghetto" has nothing to do with race, it is however, no coincidence..

The sole good thing to come out of the property price explosion, was that otherwise run down areas were suddenly deemed "cosmopolitan" and subsequently invested in.  I wonder what east London will look like to the world when we host the Olympics? as a few years ago that was the blot on London's landscape.. no wait.. it still is a shitehole.

^ I'm always conflicted about that whole scenario. It seems like there'd be a way to manage it properly.. but, it never seems to work out that way. Usually all it manages is for huge numbers of people to be pushed out, and not enjoy their own neighborhood's improvements. It's especially hard in states in the US without good public transportation. Mountain states that are also big tourist attractions the residents get hit hard. They end up having to move so far out to find an affordable place to live, that they have commute to work for close to an hour. Which is an especially huge pain in the bootie in winter with chains on your tires and shut down interstates.

I hate the idea of non well thought out sprawl, so taking advantage of what's already in place makes sense. But.. urban areas that are redone only to be take over by new people that can afford the new look?.. that stinks too.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 12:56:31 AM »
Yeah, that's tough.   :( :-\

*is grateful for all that he has*

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:54 AM »
I was a TV commercial yesterday that was soooo white. I'd sworn to myself I'd remember it today and look for a clip to post...but I can't remember  :-\  Hopefully it will come to me.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 04:34:58 AM »
^ I'm always conflicted about that whole scenario. It seems like there'd be a way to manage it properly.. but, it never seems to work out that way. Usually all it manages is for huge numbers of people to be pushed out, and not enjoy their own neighborhood's improvements. It's especially hard in states in the US without good public transportation. Mountain states that are also big tourist attractions the residents get hit hard. They end up having to move so far out to find an affordable place to live, that they have commute to work for close to an hour. Which is an especially huge pain in the bootie in winter with chains on your tires and shut down interstates.

I hate the idea of non well thought out sprawl, so taking advantage of what's already in place makes sense. But.. urban areas that are redone only to be take over by new people that can afford the new look?.. that stinks too.

In Southeastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas its hard.
We have alot ofpeoplerunning there from California and buying up alot of cheapproperty because the cost of living is so low ( my parents ought a just built two story home on 2.47 acers for under 110,000 dollars)
 They then attempt to rent theseplaces for anywhere from 600 to 1100 a month.
When no one can afford it  average wages are only 8 bucks an hour) they throw a fit, refuse to fix anything and tell people that " where we come from this is a deal!".
My response is usualy " Dorathy,, your not in Kansas anymore".
They cant understand that people there dont make alot ofmoney, hence the cost ofliving is really low.
 A land developer from New jesy just lost a buttload on a residential spread he had built because he thought he could charge the same amount as he could at home.
 Stupid peopleshouldnt be alowed to buy property like that.
 There are these idiots from Florida that bought 5 acres of rocky woodland property in Poteau Okklahoma for about a thousand an acer and want to sell it all for 100,000 thousand dollars and wonder why it hasnt even had a nibble in the past five years.
 You can buy prime acreage for 1500 an acre in that area .
 Nother bought three apartment complexes , moved everyone out under the assumption that he was going to buldoze them down and rebuild.
All he did was slap somepaint on the places and is now trying to rent them for 1100 amonth for a two bedroom.
You can buy a house there and pay less than 400 a month forpayments.And he wonders why he cant get tennents there.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.