Author Topic: What is/was on the menu tonight.  (Read 119279 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What is/was on the menu tonight.
« Reply #720 on: February 27, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
Fried chicken, waffles and gravy.  Try that.

I'll probably make leek and potato soup.  Have it with a green salad, maybe some buttermilk cornbread to go with.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #721 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:42 AM »
I never said it had to be "poo".  I said "redneck beer", which typically is just whatever is the cheapest.  Often is "poo" to my tastes but hey, to each their own.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #722 on: February 28, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Have found Samuel Adams similar to our real ale and a nice win will help it along nicely. Still debating food although a burger for the daughter is a must

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #723 on: February 28, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Schlitz, Natty Lite, Icehouse. All beers that are really vomit in a can. At least you didn't mention steel reserve.

Cheapest beer I can stand is pabst. My grandpa helped their accountancy department restructure when they switched from soda to beer, so I've always had a soft spot for it, and it helps that it's dirt cheap most of the time.

But the worst, worst beer I have ever had, is Beer 30. You can taste the cancer causing plastic lining. You could chill it with nitrogen, and it wouldn't help.

Sammy's is a pretty good beer. Plus they richard around with different formulas, so if you don't like one, you can pick another!

I'd say a bbq burger is a bit more quintessentially American than pan frying or foreman grilling, so long as you don't buy the nasty frozen pucks.

One thing I thought was American, but learned otherwise, are 40 ouncers. Not only do they seem to not exist much outside of California, even in California, the man wants to get rid of em, so you mostly have to settle for a hidden tall boy when you go to the beach (20 ounces)

This has golly nothing to do with a dinner though. whoops!

Last night I had weird mac and cheese. It was still kraft, but they sold out of the regular, so it was twisty noodles. INGENIOUSLY, their swirl pattern meant the stuff stirred itself! Not so inspiring, it's been shrink rayed. a box of kraft used to be four servings, now it's two. If I was a parent, I'd be pissed. As a fat man, two servings was enough for my dinner.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #724 on: March 01, 2017, 01:19:28 AM »
Gardein Crispy Mandarin "Chicken" with onions, celery and basmati rice.

Gardein makes delicious frozen meat substitutes.  We like that we can haul them out of the freezer and have a tasty dinner in about 15 minutes.  I don't know if they sell this in the UK, but it's worth experimenting with if they do.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #725 on: March 01, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
I don't get the fiction of meat substitutes, it's just beans or tofu, why not call it that?

I had turkey tacos. They were good. I'm out of tapatio now. :(

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #726 on: March 02, 2017, 01:13:35 AM »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #727 on: March 02, 2017, 01:26:26 AM »
Just heated up a bit of what I cooked earlier, and it tastes better reheated, wtf.

Super happy with it though, I've always had a visceral dislike of chicken, which got dialed up to 11 when I had to prep supermarket chicken. Imagine reaching into near frozen stenchy blood, tying back the wings, wrapping things up in a disturbingly bondage like twine, and then impaling 3-5 chickens up the ass with metal poles, dousing them in seasoning, then assembling them in a revolver like array, and then lighting the array on fire.

Oh, and when it's done, you get to burn your hands on delicious smelling chicken and those impalement spikes because the safety gear is a million years old. Then you get to temp check and bag the chicken, which is surprisingly difficult. Those bags tear the skin off or fog easy, and if either happens, it's back to blood river.

For some reason I did enjoy heat sealing the bags, probably because it meant I was done.

Oh, and through all of it, smiles, and excellent customer service is required.

For minimum bless'ed wage.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #728 on: March 02, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
one of the only tricks about the reheat that makes it taste better is the ingredients having sat together and then heated together at once binds the flavors

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #729 on: March 03, 2017, 01:10:52 AM »
could be similar to Quorn

I haven't tried Quorn yet, but it's slightly different, based on a comparative reading of the ingredients.  Have you tried Quorn?  I was curious about it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #730 on: March 03, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
i have had it, great with a stir fry plus a bonus is cook from frozen

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #731 on: March 03, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
Thanks.  I've been meaning to try it.

I had Aidell's chicken sausages, spicy mango version with some rice and vegs.  My husband likes them on toast.  This is an easy, inexpensive dinner.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #732 on: March 04, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
Weird, I hated aidells, it felt like the casing was made out of string or something. Maybe I got a bad batch.

I went a week without actual meat, so while walking the dog I was stricken like an addict and got two jumbo jacks. Cheeseless, because the gits add another dollar to the price without telling you. They just ask "cheese?" As if it's free. Jerks.

Either way, I'm sitting fat and happy now.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #733 on: March 05, 2017, 01:29:52 AM »
I'm not a big fan of sausages, period.  But these, I will eat.  They're a convenience for when we're too tired to cook and feel like a little meat.

I had leftovers from the soup I made a few nights ago.  Potage Parmentier is what it's called, aka leek and potato soup from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  It's got some butter and chicken broth in it as well as fresh parsley.  I couldn't have been simpler to prepare, but it was delicious and filling.  We had a salad and then some buttermilk cornbread to go with it.  That was a feast. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #734 on: March 05, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
Gardein Crispy Mandarin "Chicken" with onions, celery and basmati rice.

Gardein makes delicious frozen meat substitutes.  We like that we can haul them out of the freezer and have a tasty dinner in about 15 minutes.  I don't know if they sell this in the UK, but it's worth experimenting with if they do.

I don't believe I've tried that even though, as a pescatarian, I've tried many, many meat substitutes.

Quorn makes one far too windy and doesn't really prove worthwhile by the time it's on your plate.  There are some good soya alternatives that are usually store brand, and some of the burgers made from soya, my meat eating family prefer to regular beef ones.

The best veggie stuff I could recommend here are the products made by Cauldron. The problem is, their packet portions have steadily become smaller, and the prices of their products have steadily become larger. It hasn't priced me out, but they have annoyed me away.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.