Author Topic: Off/On ramp beggars....  (Read 36172 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Off/On ramp beggars....
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2009, 11:07:34 AM »
I prefer not to discuss religion on fora.
--dweez

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »
Well, we're supposed to be discussing bums in this topic anyway  :D

I suppose there is a link though.  A lot of homeless white men I've seen have looked like Jesus  :-\
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »
Dude, if I was christian, you guys would be offending the hell out of me right now. Makes me worry there might be Christian members here.  :-\

Offended? Im thinking not. If you believe something to be true, accurate, part of your heart then you will let people believe what they want and just hope that in the future they will seek out your truth.

FYI, Dad's a minister and he taught us to believe what's in your heart not what people try to shove down your throat. Also, I am not religious in anyway. Spirtiual "Yes" but not religious. Which is one of the reasons that this concerns me. Or should I say, "I question myself on this topic"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:38:51 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
i dont like beggars that use animals to get more money.

i was on the train once and a beggar was on the train and she said "I'm 6 months pregnant and I have no place to live and nothing to eat. If you could please help me out and give me a dime, a quarter or give me something to eat, I really would appreciate ". I saw her 4 months later and she was still pregnant.

I also don't like the people that ride the train and recite words from the bible. or the people that break dance on the train or the people that sing songs on the train. or people that stink and then stand over you  or men that take up two seats because they dont know how  to close their legs. and I can't stand it when someone sits next to me, when theres tons of other seats available.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2009, 12:32:18 AM »
I am not religiously inclined that much anymore, but I still practise the clause of "turning the other cheek".

True, and an equally good approach. However, there's only so many times you can turn your head before your neck starts to get stiff.

Offended? Im thinking not. If you believe something to be true, accurate, part of your heart then you will let people believe what they want and just hope that in the future they will seek out your truth.

FYI, Dad's a minister and he taught us to believe what's in your heart not what people try to shove down your throat. Also, I am not religious in anyway. Spirtiual "Yes" but not religious. Which is one of the reasons that this concerns me. Or should I say, "I question myself on this topic"

Actually yes, offended. Associating biblical text with lolcats speak or openly calling Jesus a richard would offend me if I was catholic/christian for quite obvious reasons. It has absolutely nothing to do with doubting my own beliefs or not accepting the fact that others may not see the truth in my beliefs as I do, but it really has to do with the level of respect that is shown to what I believe in and how i would expect others to approach me or at the very least, keep silent about disagreements if they are just going to be flat out rude with a twisted sense of humor to their comments.

That being said, I'm not catholic or christian, and I don't meant to single anybody out or apprehend them on the spot. It's just something I came to realize as I know I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone making a joke out of my religion but also, since we're all friends here, it would be a shame if some jokes were taken to heart as hurtful by others here.

And OC1, I understand the spiritual but not religious aspect, it's something I've spoken to a friend about several times before and I think having an open-mind in any given situation makes for the better outcome always.

The best thing about all of us is that no matter what religion or other category one may fall into, there is always individuality and uniqueness that makes up each and every one of us. That's truly something we should consider as a general rule in life, and there is always something we can learn from others regardless or race, religion, sexual orientation, age.

Just my two cents to the forum.  :)

And again, no intent to put anyone on the spot or embarrass, so I do hope that anybody that might consider as much would forgive me.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:38:02 AM by hmed2390 »
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2009, 05:39:17 AM »
True, and an equally good approach. However, there's only so many times you can turn your head before your neck starts to get stiff.

I only turn the other cheek in matters of religion, everything else I snap at like a yapping dog.

Wasn't Jesus a prophet in the in the Qur'an?  And I have heard that many Hindus believe he actually followed their teachings so you could easily offend much of the planet by deriding him.

I don't put much stock in the translations of the bible as even us Brits and Yanks can completely misinterpret each other on occasion, and we speak similar languages.  Not only that, but the new testament was written at least 40 years after Jesus died/vanished, so he didn't really get the opportunity to proof read it (although there is still time if he had the inclination).
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2009, 06:31:55 AM »
If you read this thread from the beginning you can see the desensification of the world in these pages. I dont know how to move beyond it. Very honestly. Part of me wonders how I can be so cold and calluous and scream "why have we come to this!" But the rational (?) side sees the manipulation and lying and resents it. Hhhhmmm......very confusing to me.

I've had my own running response to the thread also. For me it's pretty easy to intuitively pick the girfters and con artists from the soul sick and truly needed. Or.. even the needy/creatve like street perfomers. It's not all or nothing for me. When there are valid tiems I can reach out to someone in the world, I try to do it. Other times when I'm being scammed, then obviosuly I wouldn't. I'd treat other decisions in my life the same way. Holding doors open for people, helping people find soemwhere they're headed.. tipping waiters. I'm not a push over at all. But sometimes I need to step up a notch in  life and go above and beyond. There's no black and white.. lots for grey areas. I just have to follow my gut and my heart.

*edit
..also, I paid secial attention in real life 2 days ago to another concept vaguely related to this thread. It's nt even a big deal.. and I'd state my ideas and observations.. but I'm worried I'll come off looking like a goody-goody Pollyana. Or look like I'm say things merely fo effect. But.. it was very Tao and life affirming to me personally on a day I needed a pick-me-up.. so, I suppose that's all that's impotant.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:26:44 AM by Skadi »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Got this email that I would normally delete before even reading but it made me think of this thread.

Breakfast at McDonald's

I am a mother of three (ages 14, 12, 3) and have recently completed my college degree. The last class I had to take was Sociology. The teacher was absolutely inspiring with the qualities that I wish every human being had bee n graced with. Her last project of the term was called, 'Smile.' The class was asked to go out and smile at three people and document their reactions. I am a very friendly person and always smile at everyone and say hello anyway. So, I thought this would be a piece of cake, literally.

Soon after we were assigned the project, my husband, youngest son, and I went out to McDonald's one crisp March morning. It was just our way of sharing special playtime with our son. We were standing in line, waiting to be served, when all of a sudden everyone around us began to back away, and then even my husband did. I did not move an inch.... an overwhelming feeling of panic welled up inside of me as I turned to see why they had moved. As I turned around I smelled a horrible 'dirty body' smell, and there standing behind me were two poor homeless men. As I looked down at the short gentleman, close to me, he was 'smiling' His beautiful sky blue eyes were full of God's Light as he searched for acceptance..

He said, 'Good day' as he counted the few coins he had been clutching. The second man fumbled with his hands as he stood behind his friend. I realized the second man was mentally challenged and the blue-eyed gentleman was his salvation. I held my tears as I stood there with them. The young lady at the counter asked him what they wanted. He said, 'Coffee is all Miss' because that was all they could afford. (If they wanted to sit in the restaurant and warm up, they had to buy something. He just wanted to be warm). Then I really felt it - the compulsion was so great I almost reached out and embraced the little man with the blue eyes. That is when I noticed all eyes in the restaurant were set on me, judging my every action.

I smiled and asked the young lady behind the counter to give me two more breakfast meals on a separate tray. I then walked around the corner to the table that the men had chosen as a resting spot. I put the tray on the table and laid my hand on the blue-eyed gentleman's cold hand. He looked up at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, 'Thank you.' I leaned over, began to pat his hand and said, 'I did not do this for you.. God is here working through me to give you hope.' I started to cry as I walked away to join my husband and son. When I sat down my husband smiled at me and said, 'That is why God gave you to me, Honey, to give me hope..' We held hands for a moment and at that time, we knew that only because of the Grace that we had been given were we able to give. We are not church goers, but we are believers.. That day showed me the pure Light of God's sweet love I returned to college, on the last evening of class, with this story in hand. I turned in 'my project' and the instructor read it.
Then she looked up at me and said, 'Can I share this?' I slowly nodded as she got the attention of the class She began to read and that is when I knew that we as human beings and being part of God share this need to heal people and to be healed. In my own way I had touched the people at McDonald's, my son,the instructor, and every soul that shared the classroom on the last night I spent as a college student.

I graduated with one of the biggest lessons I would ever learn:
UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE.
LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS -
NOT LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.

An Angel wrote:
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart
To handle yourself, use your head..
To handle others, use your heart.
God Gives every bird it's food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

This is so hokey, but I cant help remembering when touching things like this were regarded as careing and tasteful.  ???

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
I haven't eaten McMurder in years. ;D
If you're going to eat meat,make it from a buthchers.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »
Yeah, um, you are reeeeeeaaaally missing the point here. Gee. ::)  ;)

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2009, 01:00:03 PM »
Oh i got the point!
I just cant stand Mc Murder. ;D

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
OC1, thank you.  That brought tears to my eyes.
--dweez

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2009, 01:38:23 PM »
Wasn't Jesus a prophet in the in the Qur'an?  And I have heard that many Hindus believe he actually followed their teachings so you could easily offend much of the planet by deriding him.

Yes, he is a prophet in the Qur'an.

And the Jewish population among many others also believe in Jesus as related to God in one way or another.

I agree, many other people can be offended by openly mocking Jesus, I see what you're getting at.

I was more referring to the fact that he was being mocked in relation to the bible, and the biblical versus that were associated with

something  as meaningless as lolspeak and how that many come off as rude or daring.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
Although you may be right Hmed, I think lolspeaking him is just a modern day version of Python.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
I've gotten that email before.  I think my sister forwarded it to me a few years ago  :-\

OC1, thank you.  That brought tears to my eyes.

Is in bad taste if I'm laughing because chain letter spam made you cry?

I was more referring to the fact that he was being mocked in relation to the bible, and the biblical versus that were associated with

something  as meaningless as lolspeak and how that many come off as rude or daring.

In order to not risk offending you, I will not link to the lolkoran  :)
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.