Author Topic: Review a film that you think is worth watching (not one that you don't)  (Read 60850 times)

Offline feelingindifferent

• Cro-Magnon
Re: Review a film that you think is worth watching (not one that you don't)
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
Read/seen any of the Ludlam Bourne books/films?  I won't say the movies ruined the books but mostly because the movies are completely different from the books.  I wonder if Ludlam even had a say it the screenplays.  BTW, based on IMDB, there's another Bourne movie slated for 2011 (and a friend of mine said he actually saw it somewhere that there are actually 2 more slated, not just the 1.
I read a few Ludlum books, and he's not that great a writer to put it mildly. The plots in his books do translate well to screen though.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #226 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:14 AM »

Read/seen any of the Ludlam Bourne books/films?  I won't say the movies ruined the books but mostly because the movies are completely different from the books.  I wonder if Ludlam even had a say it the screenplays.  BTW, based on IMDB, there's another Bourne movie slated for 2011 (and a friend of mine said he actually saw it somewhere that there are actually 2 more slated, not just the 1.

I haven't read them, or seen them. I was always waiting for a time that I could figure which would be best to do first. I'd always heard the movies were pretty good.

It doesn't bother me to see some things altered slightly for films. It's just the nature of film. But really bad casting of a movie, or major plot point changes bug me. Or..if they don't get the mood of a film right.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
Love the movies not really my genre of books. I dont take issue with the reduction of info from book to movie either as a general rule. I WONT watch Stephen King movies however becasue I just cant handle the writing interpretation. Which is the problem most people have when they really love a book. The keys points to them arent always the key points to the screenwriter. Gotta know your limitations.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2009, 01:37:11 PM »
These aren't "altered slightly".  There is some similarity between Bourne Identity the book and Bourne Identity the movie, but after that, Supremacy and Ultimatum are completely different stories between the books and the movies.  I still love both though.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
love the bourne movies.
action packed .

training day is good

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »
Victor Victoria
I have a soft spot for musicals, maybe because I can't sing my way out of a paperbag. I saw Mary Poppins a couple days ago, I needed something utterly ridiculously happily bubbly and not emotionally taxing at all. It was awful to put it mildly. Well, at least now I can say I've seen Mary Poppins (how the hell did Julie Andrews win an Oscar for that ???). Now I made up for the mistake by downloading another Andrews film that was not The Sound of Music (seen it too many times with my mother :-\). Thankfully it was entertaining and quite funny at times.
Hmmm maybe some Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire next...

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »
^^ Bit eyour tongue young lady ^^ That was a fantastic movie in its day!! A freakin spoonful of sugar DOES help the medicine go down!!!

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »
I might have loved it if I saw it as a kid, I don't know :-\

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »
It was definately a piece better suited to the era in which it was released. Mixing the animation with the real life was new to me back then.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »
Knowing that julie andrews as a potty mouth made watching mary poppins fun.

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »
^ She was? So much for the Miss Goody Two Shoes image she had :D

Pride & Prejudice
Fairly good adaptation, I guess; it's been ages since I read P&P and it bored the crap out of me. At least the film was entertaining enough. Good performances, Matthew Macfadyen was pretty suited to Mr Darcy, Broody McBrooderson. I watched not-the-US version, so there was no kiss or anything, but there was eye-sex all around throughout the movie anyway.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:36:29 AM by feelingindifferent »

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #236 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
I posted Luc Montagnier in a "Name ..." game that's why I remembered about a movie that I liked a lot: And the Band Played On (1993). It's about the early days of HIV virus discovery. Many stories interlaced that influence on each other. It didn't have much advertising in my country, I don't know in other parts of the world. I imagine it must have hurt a lot of...feelings ( ;)) politically, scientifically, sexually, socially,etc. It's almost documentary in some aspects. It's very entertaining too, don't get me wrong  :D It's worth watching.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:25:56 PM by xtopave »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
I've seen the movie "And the Band Played On" and it really is a good movie worth watching.
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
A movies was recommended to me recently that I thought was an incredibly thought provoking film

The Woodsman

I would urge you to see the movie but going into it remembering and holding strong to any pre-conceived notions that you have toward convicted pedophiles and see if anything changes with Bacon performance. I was left with alot of questions running through my mind which would of course be the reason this wasn?t a box office smash. Stirs up to much "thought", God forbid.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:45:30 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
I watch 'The Woodsman'. Very disturbing. Almost difficult to see. I loved Kira Sedgwick performance.