Author Topic: Look what I found.  (Read 7525 times)

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
Look what I found.
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »
http://newsflavor.com/opinions/the-establishment-of-biblical-marriage-act/

Now it's a heck of a topic. I have actually chosen the, "Defence of Marriage Act" as my paper's subject.  So any bit of evidence on Romney or Obama about Gay Rights, Civil Rights and the DMOA, or this election with those critiques about DMOA.. (preferably in PDF format, but I will accept anything gratefully,:= )

Let's talk.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Look what I found.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
"15 pieces of silver and a half homer of barley" for a missus?

Daylight robbery!

:)
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline bubu

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
is not God supposed to be an asexual being? it looks like he is the misogynist man who make laws to favor himself over women. Just show me one religion where women are treated fairly....

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
* dweez bites his tongue
--dweez

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
oh, just say it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »
please do  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
Dweez is still working out a defence for the Crusades.

Which again shows how old he is.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
Each person own's their own belief.  Just because some people misinterpret or misuse that belief for their own justifications does not mean that everyone that hold's said belief is a crackpot or fanatic.

You might have experience with people claiming to be Christians, but that doesn't mean we're all like that.  It's a belief that's full and rich, open to all and treats all equally, either Jew or Gentile, rich or poor, man or woman.  What makes it sad (and difficult) is those people who pick and choose what they want from it as well as use scripture out of context to justify their own wants/desires. It makes them look ridiculous as well as the rest of us.

I was biting my tongue because as a rule, I don't discuss religion or politics online.  In my experience, it leads to no good.  But as this was Beatrix's post, and she told me to go ahead, I've said my peace.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
Each person own's their own belief.  Just because some people misinterpret or misuse that belief for their own justifications does not mean that everyone that hold's said belief is a crackpot or fanatic.

You might have experience with people claiming to be Christians, but that doesn't mean we're all like that.  It's a belief that's full and rich, open to all and treats all equally, either Jew or Gentile, rich or poor, man or woman.  What makes it sad (and difficult) is those people who pick and choose what they want from it as well as use scripture out of context to justify their own wants/desires. It makes them look ridiculous as well as the rest of us.

I was biting my tongue because as a rule, I don't discuss religion or politics online.  In my experience, it leads to no good.  But as this was Beatrix's post, and she told me to go ahead, I've said my peace.

I take politics seriously but never religion. Well, apart from the fact that we Catholics do love booze and that is one tradition I do like to stay honest to.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »
I take politics seriously but never religion. Well, apart from the fact that we Catholics do love booze and that is one tradition I do like to stay honest to.

;D ;D ;D brother i love that religion  :) :)
At a Union course my teacher said.
the only difference between the political parties are
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 02:24:39 AM »
Politics would possibly be OK except for politicians. Politicians make voting worse-than-pointless, which sort of devalues politics (well - democratic politics, anyway).
All religions are nuts.
Thus talking politics or religion with me tends to lead to frustration and or argument.
I stick to Mac vs PC - it is less emotive.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:22 AM »

I thought it was agreed years ago that PC wins.  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 04:13:20 AM »

These days that debate hardly differs at all from that of politics, in as much as they all steal each others best bits and end up indistinguishable from one another.

Offline bubu

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »
I really respect personal religious beliefs don't really like it when it hide bigotry or prejudices or when it becomes an official religion and impose on everybody and influence laws and civil rights, but unfortunately I live in a country like that....

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »
I really respect personal religious beliefs don't really like it when it hide bigotry or prejudices or when it becomes an official religion and impose on everybody and influence laws and civil rights, but unfortunately I live in a country like that....

Thankfully, Jediism is still not sending out missionaries.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »

Fully understood.  Just wanted you to know that not all of us are two-faced, hypocritical, judgmental pricks. :D
--dweez

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
Just wanted you to know that not all of us are two-faced, hypocritical, judgmental pricks. :D

I'm a hypocrite, and judgmental, and a prick. But I won't tolerate you calling me two-faced.  :D  ;D

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
word xtopave. 

I try my damnedest to not be judgmental, that's what I tell myself.  Really, I enjoy watching the general public walking, talking, and driving, when they do not notice me... soley for the purpose of trying to guess who they are.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Well as to Prop 8, my grandma supported it because she hates gays.

This was of course, a point of contention with her gay son. He kicked the sign in repeatedly when he would visit.

I tried to discuss it with her, I really did, but there is no getting past bigotry, they're just so sure that they are correct.

So I aimed at the fiscal. My grandpa voted along fiscal lines, if it raised taxes, he voted no. If it didn't disclose where the money came from, he voted no.

I tried to explain to my grandmother that prop. 8 would lead to endless lawsuits until it were either upheld by the supreme court or thrown out, thus making the point moot.

She really didn't care.

This is probably more useful than my personal anecdotes:
http://www.metafilter.com/121033/Windsor-vs-United-States
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:55:25 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/18/163178546/second-federal-appeals-court-strikes-down-defense-of-marriage-act

This sounds like a clear case of failure to provide equal protection under the law to same sex marriages.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »
is not God supposed to be an asexual being? it looks like he is the misogynist man who make laws to favor himself over women. Just show me one religion where women are treated fairly....

I was going to say that the Cult of Dionysus at least seemed to accept all of human sexuality and wasn't really all about drunken promiscuity, but sought insight and prophesy through exstasis. Then I checked myself because of what the maenads did to Orpheus... I mean, that seems to speak to a real sense of grievance, doesn't it?
So, simply put: No... there was never a post-Neolithic "religion" which didn't seem to exploit non-male, non-hetero people.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.